BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

11-26-2016, 08:28 PM   #1
u5g335
Private
Rep
Drives: E90,E92,F32,I01

12v Battery Issues

Started getting the battery discharging while stopped message on startup. None of the accessories work unless in ready mode and also can not communicate with car while parked using the app. Meter shows 11.2v on lv battery after sitting. In ready mode, shows 14.9, dc/dc charging is working. Voltage drops rapidly after charger shuts down so looking like the battery may be defective? First week (new ‘17) with the car and <200mi. I have only seen these half size 12v batteries in economy type cars before....an obvious weight saving selection. Any idea how low voltage can drop before inop?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
u5g335
Private
Rep
Drives: E90,E92,F32,I01

Update: Dealer ended up keeping the car for two weeks. The first battery they got failed immediately when they put it in. Second one worked okay and they tested it for a few days to make sure everything was working. The shop foreman was working on the car and said there are two different 12v battery part numbers that can be ordered. Maybe there is a problem with one? They also had to re-program the car to modify how the 12v battery is charged. When I asked for details about what was different with the charging on the new code compared to what was running on the car originally, he basically told me that with the i3, all the parts are a black box and they don’t know what goes on inside so he does not know either. They are instructed by the engineers from Germany to change parts and everything else is done by the engineers remotely over the network the car is plugged into. Car has been working great so far!
Appreciate 0