BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

03-22-2024, 01:24 PM   #23
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Here was a response from ChargePoint:

"Hello! We wanted to clear up any confusion about the amperage change for Home Flex in the ChargePoint app.

As of November 2023, the Home Flex charge current limit feature is here to stay. While we initially removed the feature to comply with changes to the National Electrical Code, we heard your feedback and worked hard to redesign it, and bring it back.

Now you can once again control the charging rate of your EV in the ChargePoint mobile app. Users can safely adjust their current settings within 80% of the breaker amperage or their charger’s maximum-rated output. This allows users to manage their power consumption and cut costs by turning up their charging power when solar energy is available or turning it down when other appliances are in use. The power is back in your hands.

If you need help, send up a DM or feel free to reach out to our 24/7 Driver Support team, we are happy to help!"
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 01:49 PM   #24
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
OP, I found this on Reddit:

"When Chargepoint removed this setting a couple of weeks ago, my current charging limit was fixed by the Chargepoint gods at 0A. It's so fun having a completely useless charging station at home. ��

My station is 7 years old, but I never had an issue until this update. It sounds like the only way to get my station to work is to remove it from my app then add it back? I did call Chargepoint, but the phone agent did not resolve my issue."
That sounds a little different from HQ secret intervention. If I read that thread correctly, it looks like owners were unable to change the current setting after the original provisioning. Then, with an update a few months ago, ChargePoint gave owners the ability to change current after the original provisioning.
      03-22-2024, 02:01 PM   #25
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Just checked my app (v6.3.0, Android) and this is what I get:

Nothing mysterious or nefarious here, and it's based on my original installation and setup - max 40A (plug-in), down to 8A if I want (some users actually choose to derate to 32A on a 50A circuit for an extra margin of safety - see SOC video). And you could always adjust it from the MyBMW app. Much ado.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2024, 02:44 PM   #26
ok31
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 iX 50

To all the questions - I’ve had the original CP reset to factory and reconfigured. It’s a hardwired setup on a 60amp circuit limited down to 48a. I have already swapped out the unit for another one they sent me and same issue. The only catch is the car charged at a slow level 2 on a 9.5k charger but went at 7kw. I came drop the CP lower than 16A. I’ve adjusted the car max to take to the lowest available and no dice on the CP.

As far as their support it’s a bit frustrating at the escalation level. Took a week and a half before getting a replacement but no one could at any point give me any status updates. Not how I’d expect th to handle something that people rely on so heavily.

I have not reset the car and am wondering if factory defaulting the whole Idrive would do anything?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 02:46 PM   #27
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
OP, I found this on Reddit:

"When Chargepoint removed this setting a couple of weeks ago, my current charging limit was fixed by the Chargepoint gods at 0A. It's so fun having a completely useless charging station at home. ��

My station is 7 years old, but I never had an issue until this update. It sounds like the only way to get my station to work is to remove it from my app then add it back? I did call Chargepoint, but the phone agent did not resolve my issue."
I did reset it and remove from the app and that didn’t help either.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 05:29 PM   #28
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxxviii View Post
That sounds a little different from HQ secret intervention. If I read that thread correctly, it looks like owners were unable to change the current setting after the original provisioning. Then, with an update a few months ago, ChargePoint gave owners the ability to change current after the original provisioning.
Agreed. I specifically remember the post where the poster did mention the CP being ‘down rated’ remotely.

I’ll search and see if I can find it, although this obviously isn’t what’s causing the issue for the OP here since he states he’s not getting any current to his iX.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 01:45 PM   #29
LukeATL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017BMW 440 GC, 2024 BMW iX 50

Have you checked “location based settings” in your iX to see whether an amperage limitation was somehow set based on your home location? APPS: charging: location based settings
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 05:53 PM   #30
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeATL View Post
Have you checked “location based settings” in your iX to see whether an amperage limitation was somehow set based on your home location? APPS: charging: location based settings
No settings are active. As noted I’ve got the bmw trickle charger which works no issue. I’m having someone check the charge tomorrow on an Audi so we’ll see from there. I suspect the car having issues at higher charge rate OR something in the wiring preventing CP from outputting but that wouldn’t make sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 11:45 AM   #31
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

I just got part of my answer. CP works so the car has to be limiting input for some reason. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 12:14 PM   #32
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Some steps you might not have taken, that won't hurt and might help:

1) Remove your profile and re-add it. Be sure it's synced to your BMW account and your key first.

2) Uninstall and reinstall the MyBMW app.

3) Do a diagnostic reboot on the car (in the car, doors closed, car off, foot off the brake, press the Start button rapidly 3 times. A confirmation should appear in the instrument cluster indicating Diagnostic Mode. Press and hold the Volume scroll button until the main screen goes off, allow the system to completely reboot, exit and lock the car). Wait an hour.

Try charging again.

Last edited by Paladin1; 03-24-2024 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2024, 04:40 PM   #33
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Some steps you might not have taken, that won't hurt and might help:

1) Remove your profile and re-add it. Be sure it's synced to your BMW account and your key first.

2) Uninstall and reinstall the MyBMW app.

3) Do a diagnostic reboot on the car (in the car, doors closed, car off, foot off the brake, press the Start button rapidly 3 times. A confirmation should appear in the instrument cluster indicating Diagnostic Mode. Press and hold the Volume scroll button until the main screen goes off, allow the system to completely reboot, exit and lock the car). Wait an hour.

Try charging again.
Just tried again and now can’t even get into mybmw account says I need to verify registration. Getting really frustrated…
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 05:26 PM   #34
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That's actually progress - something may be wrong with your initial setup. You didn't specify lease or purchase, but you need to contact your dealership to be sure the car is in fact registered to you and that they're seeing the same thing on their end. Worst case you may need to do a factory reset on the car, but that will require resetting everything. Start with a dealer call, and you may also want to contact the BMW i Hotline - (855) 236-1025.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:11 PM   #35
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That's actually progress - something may be wrong with your initial setup. You didn't specify lease or purchase, but you need to contact your dealership to be sure the car is in fact registered to you and that they're seeing the same thing on their end. Worst case you may need to do a factory reset on the car, but that will require resetting everything. Start with a dealer call, and you may also want to contact the BMW i Hotline - (855) 236-1025.
But it’s still charging at 1kw so still not clear. It’s a lease and it’s been working flawlessly thus far so curious how this is playing out. I’m calling the dealer tomorrow in hopes of an appointment and some additional direction. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 04:13 PM   #36
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Update: car is working as expected at the dealer, they are continuing to look into it. Suspicion - either ChargePoint did something to be incompatible with BMW or something happened in the BMW to make it incompatible with charger. Next step if they come up fruitless is to get another iX or electrified model as loaner and test it out. Highly suspecting something between the account and the software is not jiving but this is super odd and not making me feel comfortable being stuck out in middle of nowhere with a trickle charger…

Update1: MyBMW app login issue resolved with changing password, super ODD but it worked.

Last edited by ok31; 03-27-2024 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: updating information
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 11:49 AM   #37
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep

Is your dealership using an actual L2 A/C EVSE OR a low rated DCFC which I think is quite common.

Meaning if they are charging your car with say a 50kWhr DCFC, then they aren’t able to potentially recreate your specific issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 07:53 PM   #38
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Is your dealership using an actual L2 A/C EVSE OR a low rated DCFC which I think is quite common.

Meaning if they are charging your car with say a 50kWhr DCFC, then they aren’t able to potentially recreate your specific issue.
Can't tell you BUT a friend has a ChargePoint Home Flex just like I do on a 60A circuit. On the way from the dealer I stopped over just to check, sure enough that Chargepoint device worked without issue. Started charging at 10kw (odd that it didn't go to 11 but that's another story).

Came home plugged into my 60A circuit (48A to car) and 0kW followed by error unable to charge.

My CP was able to charge a Jeep Willy 4xe this weekend, although that was at a lower kw since that other battery doesn't take a higher charge. This would suggest that my iX does not have a problem and works, it also suggests there is no conflict between BMW and ChargePoint. This leaves me perplexed because if I can charge another car but not mine, can it really be something with the breaker at my house? The only thing that wasn't done yet is an electrician didn't check out the setup but its a 6gauge 3 wire from the panel to the charger at a distance of probably less than 15' of cable. Done to code and passed inspection (those are a joke but point is it was all code correct).

bad breaker that when it needs to output more shuts the CP because it isn't getting the right amount and shuts down to prevent a fault?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 09:38 AM   #39
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok31 View Post
Can't tell you BUT a friend has a ChargePoint Home Flex just like I do on a 60A circuit. On the way from the dealer I stopped over just to check, sure enough that Chargepoint device worked without issue. Started charging at 10kw (odd that it didn't go to 11 but that's another story).

Came home plugged into my 60A circuit (48A to car) and 0kW followed by error unable to charge.

My CP was able to charge a Jeep Willy 4xe this weekend, although that was at a lower kw since that other battery doesn't take a higher charge. This would suggest that my iX does not have a problem and works, it also suggests there is no conflict between BMW and ChargePoint. This leaves me perplexed because if I can charge another car but not mine, can it really be something with the breaker at my house? The only thing that wasn't done yet is an electrician didn't check out the setup but its a 6gauge 3 wire from the panel to the charger at a distance of probably less than 15' of cable. Done to code and passed inspection (those are a joke but point is it was all code correct).

bad breaker that when it needs to output more shuts the CP because it isn't getting the right amount and shuts down to prevent a fault?
1: Reset everything in the CP app as if it’s a brand new unit, but set the Amps to say 40Amp circuit, 32A continuous. See if this helps.

If the breaker was tripped at 48A continuous, you’d have to reset it manually, no?

2: Make sure that the iX doesn’t have something set under ‘location settings’, IF that’s even a thing in our cars, that’s been somehow set to not to charge at your home.

3: Make sure in the app that AC Charging limit is set to ‘Unlimited’.

You’ve proved this isn’t an issue with your CP, although it would be great if an EV pulling more power than the Jeep could be used for a second ‘opinion’.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 09:42 AM   #40
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Replacing the breaker is easy and cheap, and a rule-out. And I'd still have an electrician (familiar with an EV setup) check your circuit.
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2448.00
      03-28-2024, 10:09 AM   #41
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Replacing the breaker is easy and cheap, and a rule-out. And I'd still have an electrician (familiar with an EV setup) check your circuit.
That will be one of the next steps to try changing breaker, even if I don’t understand why.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 10:14 AM   #42
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
1: Reset everything in the CP app as if it’s a brand new unit, but set the Amps to say 40Amp circuit, 32A continuous. See if this helps.

If the breaker was tripped at 48A continuous, you’d have to reset it manually, no?

2: Make sure that the iX doesn’t have something set under ‘location settings’, IF that’s even a thing in our cars, that’s been somehow set to not to charge at your home.

3: Make sure in the app that AC Charging limit is set to ‘Unlimited’.

You’ve proved this isn’t an issue with your CP, although it would be great if an EV pulling more power than the Jeep could be used for a second ‘opinion’.

Good luck!
I’ve reset the app but have not yet reset it to a lower breaker value from the startup. I’ve changed the value on the output but maybe there’s a difference.

I don’t have any location settings in the car and if I did then my bmw stock charger wouldn’t be working either.

The limit is unlimited.

I need to ask dealer what faults they saw and figure out if the car isn’t taking or the charger isn’t giving. When I plug in, it knows the amperage and adjusts accordingly it’s just that it doesn’t take and errors out but where is the question and why. Clearly there is something with either my account, charger (again) or wiring because yes with some degree of certainty my car is fine.

At the same time with some level of certainty the charger is also fine UNLESS it’s my charger account so plan X is to create a whole new account and see what happens maybe even pretend it’s a different car. That’s the only difference between my friend and mine. They have the phev x5 configured but why that matters I can’t comprehend.

To be continued….
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 10:38 AM   #43
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ok31 View Post
This leaves me perplexed because if I can charge another car but not mine, can it really be something with the breaker at my house?
When you had the original ChargePoint RMAd, did they replace just the base unit or the base & charging cable?

I have been following this and trying to think of ways to brainstorm. Lots of information evolved, so I thought I would summarize all of your findings and observations to date:
  1. Car: 2024 iX xDrive 50
  2. BMW Charge Forward bypassed
  3. BMW location-based settings are disabled
  4. EVSE: ChargePoint Home Flex hardwired on a 60A breaker for 48A charging
  5. Charged successfully since August 2024
  6. Stopped charging about a month ago: connects and shows as charging but clicks and stops; car shows 0 watt power
  7. Circuit breaker is not tripping
  8. ChargePoint replaced
  9. New ChargePoint had no effect on charging
  10. Reducing current on the ChargePoint and car did not affect charging
  11. Resetting the circuit breaker did not affect charging
  12. iDrive reset did not affect charging
  13. MyBMW app remove/reinstall did not affect charging
  14. BMW portable EVSE works on L1 at 1 kW charge rate at home
  15. Charges successfully on other EVSEs: 7 kW mall, dealership, friend’s 48A ChargePoint
  16. Other cars can charge on the ChargePoint Home Flex: Audi & Jeep
So, these are a few initial conclusions from all of above:
  • The fact that other cars can charge at your house but you cannot rules out the EVSE in general
  • The fact that your car can charge other places, including another ChargePoint, rules out both a problem with your car and an incompatibility with ChargePoint in general
  • If the circuit breaker is not tripping and other cars charge, then the problem is probably not a bad breaker or installation problem
  • Since the car will charge at your house on L1, it does not have any general location-based or schedule-based restrictions
The only thing left I can think of is a problem with your cable or connector. Or a compatibility problem between your charge port and the connector, like they might be on opposite ends of their tolerances. If the RMA did not also replace the cable, that is the next thing I would check and replace.

Last edited by exxxviii; 03-28-2024 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 01:34 PM   #44
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxxviii View Post
When you had the original ChargePoint RMAd, did they replace just the base unit or the base & charging cable?

I have been following this and trying to think of ways to brainstorm. Lots of information evolved, so I thought I would summarize all of your findings and observations to date:
  1. Car: 2024 iX xDrive 50
  2. BMW Charge Forward bypassed
  3. BMW location-based settings are disabled
  4. EVSE: ChargePoint Home Flex hardwired on a 60A breaker for 48A charging
  5. Charged successfully since August 2024
  6. Stopped charging about a month ago: connects and shows as charging but clicks and stops; car shows 0 watt power
  7. Circuit breaker is not tripping
  8. ChargePoint replaced
  9. New ChargePoint had no effect on charging
  10. Reducing current on the ChargePoint and car did not affect charging
  11. Resetting the circuit breaker did not affect charging
  12. iDrive reset did not affect charging
  13. MyBMW app remove/reinstall did not affect charging
  14. BMW portable EVSE works on L1 at 1 kW charge rate at home
  15. Charges successfully on other EVSEs: 7 kW mall, dealership, friend’s 48A ChargePoint
  16. Other cars can charge on the ChargePoint Home Flex: Audi & Jeep
So, these are a few initial conclusions from all of above:
  • The fact that other cars can charge at your house but you cannot rules out the EVSE in general
  • The fact that your car can charge other places, including another ChargePoint, rules out both a problem with your car and an incompatibility with ChargePoint in general
  • If the circuit breaker is not tripping and other cars charge, then the problem is probably not a bad breaker or installation problem
  • Since the car will charge at your house on L1, it does not have any general location-based or schedule-based restrictions
The only thing left I can think of is a problem with your cable or connector. Or a compatibility problem between your charge port and the connector, like they might be on opposite ends of their tolerances. If the RMA did not also replace the cable, that is the next thing I would check and replace.
Thank you for the comprehensive summary. The answer to all is yes and yes the RMA was for the entire unit including cable.

The ONLY thing at this point I’m considering is creating a whole new chargepoint app account. I don’t know why that would be a thing but why not.

Another potential is to get a temp EV loaner and try at the house to rule out vehicle or house. If another BMW stops working then MAYBE CP in a software update did something and like you said switched soft place of inputs, wouldn’t explain why my would and friends wouldn’t but…
Appreciate 1
exxxviii1308.00