BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

07-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #23
kgaler
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

It's about the type of people that would buy this car. They need to feel and portray to others that they are sacrificing for the planet. That is why cars like this are made intentionally ugly and don't have comfort features.

They forget (or choose to ignore the fact) that the electricity used to power them is made mainly from burning fossil fuels and overall is LESS efficient than than burning it yourself in your car. The environment would be better off if you bought a Civic at half the cost.

Off-topic: Despite all the BS you keep hearing there are NO sustainable energy sources that can even come close to meeting our energy needs. As of right now and the foreseeable future, when we run out of energy we are borrowing from the past such as coal, oil, natural gas, we are screwed.
      07-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #24
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs4444
Very promising reviews! Also good to see the electric steering systems are improving. On a side note i love how people pick through overwhelmingly positive reviews and will find one little thing to bitch about, while totally ignoring the positives. people comparing this to a tesla model S, are comparing apples to oranges. The model S cost well over twice what the i3 will. It's like comparing a Prius to the i8, and saying why can't the Prius look like the i8, or why can't an Audi A1 look like an R8 lol.. The i3 is an electric CITY car first and foremost....so form following function short stubby overhangs are advantageous in larger city's where space and parking are a premium. Try and drive a model s and an i3 in a big city like manhattan, or tokyo for a week and see which is easier to live with/park. This car is NOT meant for everyone, if you want big and sleek car wait for the rumored i5.
+1

You forgot that he compared a Tesla to an M3...

I don't mind manual seats since I'm the only one who drives my car, but they do make the car look cheaper than it is.

Edit: You'd be surprised at the number of cars on the road equipped with manual seats. We drive luxury cars, and most of us have electric seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #25
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

This is actually looking better than I thought. Best pictures yet, lots of room for product evolution, project i is really happening. Damn just bought a straight 6 twin scroll, oh well, have it while it lasts!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #26
bunker
BVARIAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

these reviews are amazing - particularly the one from Top Gear, who I thought would have sh*t all over this car.

to all the haters out there - did you really, REALLY think BMW was going to screw this up?

I've wanted an electric car for a while now but refused to buy some Japanese p.o.s. Thank you BMW for giving us this. It will be my second car - haters be damned.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #27
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgaler View Post
It's about the type of people that would buy this car. They need to feel and portray to others that they are sacrificing for the planet. That is why cars like this are made intentionally ugly and don't have comfort features.
What a load or horse shit.. some people might, but that's a pretty sweeping generalisation. Not everyone who considers an electric car is an eco-warrior hell-bent on saving the planet.

Quote:
They forget (or choose to ignore the fact) that the electricity used to power them is made mainly from burning fossil fuels and overall is LESS efficient than than burning it yourself in your car. The environment would be better off if you bought a Civic at half the cost.
I find that surprising if true, I'm not going to dispute it, but do you have a source, or are you generalising again?

Quote:
Off-topic: Despite all the BS you keep hearing there are NO sustainable energy sources that can even come close to meeting our energy needs. As of right now and the foreseeable future, when we run out of energy we are borrowing from the past such as coal, oil, natural gas, we are screwed.
Difference is, electric cars will be able to run on energy generated from other sources, gasoline engines not so much.

Personally I'm considering it. Mostly because I'll always have an older BMW as a beater, and because if it means I can go a couple of weeks (probably months) between visiting the pumps, I'll be a very happy chappy.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #28
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

When you put the Akrapovic exhaust and the iSport aero kit on it, this baby will be a stomper!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #29
kgaler
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
What a load or horse shit.. some people might, but that's a pretty sweeping generalisation. Not everyone who considers an electric car is an eco-warrior hell-bent on saving the planet.the pumps,
Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you.
      07-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #30
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
manual seat controls?

"There is no electronic seat adjustment. And there won’t be, even as an option. Such a modern day luxury would require electricity that could otherwise be used to extend range, argues BMW. Manual seat adjustment it is, then."

ok...i'm not sure how to respond to this...what little interest i had in this car has been washed away.

i sincerely wish BMW fail with i3 and figure out how to provide electronic seat controls that can do less damage to the mileage in a "luxury", "premium" and "contemporary" car.
And you wonder why BMW will not bring special cars like the M3CSL and M3 GTS to North America?
You just cannot do without the luxuries.
      07-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #31
ramuman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Oh Good Lord, he does have a point. BMW is crazy not to make money on such expected items. I do not want to buy a premium car and have to adjust the seat each time I drive it.

Your body changes that much ride over ride?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #32
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Exclamation

I have always been skeptical and hated the look of this car as of recently. (The concept looks awesome).

But with the reviews pouring in, and taking a hard look at it, i am honestly getting warm with this car, i think i really want one now.

Where should i sign up? Like someone said, where is the M-Sport version LOL...
I don't mind the manual seat.... My wife might not like adjusting repeatedly since we would most likely share the car...

mmmm I would be ok adding this to our garage, but i dont know how i would feel if i had to trade in my F30 for this tho.... but the wife probably wont like having 3 cars....
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #33
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I think this is a very promising car. Personally I'd be more interested in owning a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle but this is a step ahead as far as electrics go. Electric, hydrogen, natural gas, etc will all save the true petrol for us enthusiasts and allow manufacturers to continue to develop vehicles with more fuel consumption. I say yay to i3.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #34
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26

And you wonder why BMW will not bring special cars like the M3CSL and M3 GTS to North America?
+1

And yes, electric seats actually would make a difference. They are incredibly heavy. I mean really, you use them a few times when you first get your car? After that its dead weight.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #35
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteypab2133 View Post
Pretty sure its about principle. If you pay $40,000 a car the basic necessities are electric locks, seats, and windows. Also for $40,000 I would ask for a navigation screen that actually does navigation. Not pay another $1000.00 on top of the base screen to get the availability of turn by turn. Also for $40,000 I expect heated seats minimum, with the option for either a heated steering wheel or ventilated AC seats (the kia optima comes with them).

I know these companies are trying to make these cars priced desirable, but most people dont want them. Pain in the ass to charge, cost of ownership after 5 years is unknown, no power, not really saving the environment, looks are generally weak, (interior gadgets are fun on these cars, I give them that)...

I wouldnt own this, nor the leaf or the volt. The Tesla now is purposeful and does many great things with great looks to go with it. The price is high, but the money saved in gas monthly plus the opportunity to destroy the over hyped M3 in a drag race for around the same price while making no noise makes me smile.
I don't think it is about pricing--I think it's more about lightness and less of everything--these kinds of cars are made to get the absolute most out of the least amount of weight, materials, etc.

I think electric seats and other similar gizmos would seem very "out of place" in a car like this...makes sense to me that they left them out.
      07-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #36
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Don't worry about what they say. The fact that someone tried to compare the Tesla Model S to an M3 while also lamenting the fact that a tiny car which must fit 4-5 people and cargo like the i3 doesn't look as sleek and sexy as a huge 5/7 series size vehicle like the Model S is proof of that.. And while I'm on the subject of the Model S, it may look great but one of the sacrifices they had to make to achieve that sexy form is rear-seat headroom. At 6'3" I can't fit in the rear seat at all unless the Model S has the optional glass moonroof which extends headroom, I didn't have this problem in our F10 5 series or even the E60 5 series. Judging by the i3's proportions, I will probably be able to fit in it no problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #37
eMvy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteypab2133 View Post
Pretty sure its about principle. If you pay $40,000 a car the basic necessities are electric locks, seats, and windows.
That's your principle, not BMW's, and yes it can go either way.

For example and among other things you'd except from a pricey car, I think a lot of us M[likely 3] owners would prefer manual seats for weight savings because it's an ideal characteristic given the goal of the car, and not the fact that we spent a lot of money.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #38
eMvy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #39
gvega702
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325i Premium | Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
manual seat controls?

"There is no electronic seat adjustment. And there wont be, even as an option. Such a modern day luxury would require electricity that could otherwise be used to extend range, argues BMW. Manual seat adjustment it is, then."

ok...i'm not sure how to respond to this...what little interest i had in this car has been washed away.

i sincerely wish BMW fail with i3 and figure out how to provide electronic seat controls that can do less damage to the mileage in a "luxury", "premium" and "contemporary" car.
+100
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #40
Matski
Captain
England
Rep

AUTOEXPRESS (UK)

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/i3/...w-i3-prototype

We drive a pre-production version of the new BMW i3 electric car to see if it’s as good to drive as a BMW should be

Verdict

The BMW i3 is a very impressive car to drive and a marvel of modern engineering, and we hope it will be a success. However, that will depend on how quickly BMW can install the necessary infrastructure to support it and how much it is going to cost. Also, we think most buyers will pick the forthcoming range-extender hybrid, at least initially, over the pure battery-electric model tested here.

If battery-electric cars really are the future, BMW is taking its first brave steps towards a cleaner tomorrow with its ‘i’ brand – and taking centre stage will be this, the i3 ‘megacity’ car.

BMW invited Auto Express to an airbase outside Munich to drive a late pre-production example of the i3 to see if BMW’s new baby gets off to a flying start.

Much has already been written and discussed about the i3’s single-minded focus on weight reduction and its cutting-edge technology, so this was an early opportunity to see how BMW’s green i-theory translates on the road.

Although our test car was wearing light disguise, the final production shape of the i3 was clearly visible. A mix of angular creases and suitably futuristic swoops, it’s a pleasing, chunky vehicle, although historic BMW design language is harder to spot.

The Hofmeister kink is absent and, if it wasn’t for some false kidney ‘grilles’ at the front reminding you it’s a BMW, it’s vaguely reminiscent of an Audi A2. Overall, though, it is pleasing on the eye; the large 19-inch alloys on skinny 155/70 tyres at each corner are a nice touch, and help reduce the slab-sidedness of the car.

Inside will be familiar to anyone who has driven a current BMW, with clean, simple switchgear and a well thought-out dash. Although the cabin of our car was not the finished article, the production i3 will feature a column-mounted drive selector for the single reduction gear attached to the motor and a digital display screen behind the steering wheel to show the remaining range – BMW quotes 80-100 miles as the ‘typical’ range of the i3 – and current power usage.

But how does it drive?

BMW is targeting final production specs of 250Nm, 125kW (around 168bhp) and a kerb weight of less than 1,200kg.

And, judging by these near-ready pre-production machines, the i3 is going to be a hugely fun way to go green. BMW’s test course involved slaloms, high-speed corners, rapid direction changes and a super-tight hairpin to fully showcase the i3’s all-round manoeuvrability. It is unlikely prospective owners will ever subject their cars to such rigorous driving but they can be safe in the knowledge that the i3 really does drive like a BMW should.

The steering is incredibly direct and weights up with speed, although it is devoid of true feel and very light around dead centre. However, there’s enough information coming back from the skinny front tyres to ensure you can drive enthusiastically with confidence.

The i3 has a low centre of gravity, thanks to the lithium-ion battery pack being laid between the axles in the bottom of the chassis, and you can feel it in the composed way it enacts quick changes of direction; despite being a high-sided car, it never feels top-heavy. There is understeer dialled in for safety but there’s plenty of grip from the rear-wheel drive chassis.

Naturally, the instant torque of the e-motor means acceleration at all speeds is impressive. Depending on which of the three modes you choose – Comfort, ECO PRO or ECO PRO+ – the top speed is limited to either 93mph, 75mph or 56mph respectively. But, as a safety feature, full throttle in all modes acts almost like an overboost function on a turbocharged car to give maximum urge to avoid dangerous situations.

Like all electric cars, the i3 is eerily silent no matter how hard you drive it, with just a faint whirr in the background. Yet it pulls to 60mph very keenly, maintaining that ultra-smooth power delivery at all times. It rides nicely too – there’s plenty of compliance in the assured suspension – and the brakes are without reproach, so city driving should be comfortable.

Overall, the i3 is extremely impressive and lives up to BMW’s billing of being fun to drive. It is much more entertaining than a green car has any right to be, but whether it will win the hearts of the buying public depends a lot on how much it will cost when prices are finally revealed.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #41
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/doc.asp?c=100&i=28060

This guy usually tests supercars.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #42
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Quote:
different cars, different purposes.

please dont compare apples to oranges. i'm stating the fact that the i3, as a mega city vehicle that BMW advertised, doesn't have powered seats.

would you race the i3 on a track with M3 GTS? if not, why cant it have powered seats?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #43
Matski
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus
Quote:
different cars, different purposes.

please dont compare apples to oranges. i'm stating the fact that the i3, as a mega city vehicle that BMW advertised, doesn't have powered seats.

would you race the i3 on a track with M3 GTS? if not, why cant it have powered seats?
Lol, this argument makes me want to laugh, or cry, not sure which.

Seems BMW have suceeded on making both a good car, and a good EV, with the reviews generally praising the dynamics, it seems they've made something that is still a good BMW.

It'll serve certain demographics better than others, but in that respect it's no different to most of BMWs range.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #44
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz26 View Post
http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/doc.asp?c=100&i=28060

This guy usually tests supercars.
This is the kind of person that BMW needs to convince with the i lineup. I have to say, I'm really intrigued, if only for the fact that they seem to have kept the ultra-modern interior intact.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0