09-08-2016, 10:39 PM   #1
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
Okay.....this is a new experience I had today

I'm going to try to be as delicate as I can when explaining this scenario.

However, two guys pulled up next to me today in a Dodge Charger and were waving at me. I rolled down the window (mistake), because I figured they were just going to comment on the car. I was just trying to be nice.

I roll down the window and I get the following question....

Man in Dodge Charger: "Hey man, do you have good credit?!"
Me: "Last time I checked."
Man in Dodge Charger: "Do you think I could get one of those cars with $10k down and a credit of 600?"
Me: "Not sure, you'd have to check with the dealership".
Man in Dodge Charger: "I'm guessing that car costs around $60k"

The traffic light turned green and I pulled away.

Now, I knew how to honestly answer that question, but I didn't want to gut the guy right then. No need to make him feel bad.

But, WHO IN THE WORLD ASKS A QUESTION LIKE THAT?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 10:53 PM   #2
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
I'm not surprised. People ask the weirdest questions when you drive a nice car. That was very nice of you not to answer. But you do realize that no matter how you answered you're probably still an asshole in their eyes right? But yeah kudos to you for driving away. I would have been frank about the price and then drove off and yeh me too I'd be an asshole in their eyes either way. Lol

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 12:50 AM   #3
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
"More than you can afford pal, Ferrari."
Appreciate 3
      09-09-2016, 05:15 AM   #4
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
I'm going to try to be as delicate as I can when explaining this scenario.

However, two guys pulled up next to me today in a Dodge Charger and were waving at me. I rolled down the window (mistake), because I figured they were just going to comment on the car. I was just trying to be nice.

I roll down the window and I get the following question....

Man in Dodge Charger: "Hey man, do you have good credit?!"
Me: "Last time I checked."
Man in Dodge Charger: "Do you think I could get one of those cars with $10k down and a credit of 600?"
Me: "Not sure, you'd have to check with the dealership".
Man in Dodge Charger: "I'm guessing that car costs around $60k"

The traffic light turned green and I pulled away.

Now, I knew how to honestly answer that question, but I didn't want to gut the guy right then. No need to make him feel bad.

But, WHO IN THE WORLD ASKS A QUESTION LIKE THAT?!?!?!
My first day out in the i8 i got asked the following

"What do you do for a living?"

"Are you a famous actor?"

"Wow man how small is your d*ck"

I also had some guy come up to me and say "I love that you love nice cars AND the environment" to which I replied that I just like the doors.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

These are pointless conversations and believe in me not worth , I heard people who drive M5 but replace the badges with 520
I have even heard worse comments , not ecactly a same argument but I thought I have to share it with you . A guy shelled out a hefty notes on a rose gold Daytona his wife turned up her nose and commented that that watch was looking like a Michael Kors
So, don't give a which is something whether or not they say your BMW i8 is more than $100K or less than $80K .
      09-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Good lord, all the times someone has asked, "What do you do for a living?" after I park somewhere in the i8, SLS, etc.

It's a dumb and rude question, so I usually just say, "Work"
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Good lord, all the times someone has asked, "What do you do for a living?" after I park somewhere in the i8, SLS, etc.

It's a dumb and rude question, so I usually just say, "Work"
Sorry but I have to disagree here with you How is it dumb I can may be understand a little the rude part but dumb.. ? and your type of answer is what puts people in the level of a douchebag..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #8
hytek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, 335i

My best one so far: Girl of high school age shouts across from the other car: "Will you be my sugardaddy?"
Smile, thumbs up, and drive on.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #9
exclusivedetails
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

The other day, a girl wanted to know what type of car it was. I began explaining to her and even offered to open the door so they can look in the cabin. She said I was the nicest BMW owner because typically they are all jerks. She then asked if she can say a prayer for me and the car.

I said sure? She touched the car and said a prayer. She then hugged me. This was all in front of a liquor store. That was the weirdest moment so far...
Appreciate 2
      09-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #10
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusivedetails
The other day, a girl wanted to know what type of car it was. I began explaining to her and even offered to open the door so they can look in the cabin. She said I was the nicest BMW owner because typically they are all jerks. She then asked if she can say a prayer for me and the car.

I said sure? She touched the car and said a prayer. She then hugged me. This was all in front of a liquor store. That was the weirdest moment so far...
Wow haha holy crap that's great
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #11
rocke29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 M/T

The attention is unreal, although I haven't had a Lambo or Ferrari. I had a Lotus Evora, a Porsche Cayman S, and a Mercedes CLA45 AMG which got attention but not like this.

People have been nice though...lots of "nice car", "very cool" and "futuristic" comments.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #12
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
I had a guy who started off pleasantly enough and asked what I did for a living. I'm typically vague and just say, "I work in biotech". He went on to ask what specifically and I said, 'Management".

It was still pleasant at this point then told me what he made ($150K) and asked what I made. I said, I don't share my income with people and began to get back into the car. His next volley was, "Do you think I can afford this?" I told him that I don't control his finances and tried to go when he lost it and went off - "You think that you are better than everyone else because you drive a car most people can't afford but I can tell since you didn't want to tell me how much you make that you are a big asshole who thinks he's better than everyone". I said, "Nope, I just came here to get fuel and you just made this a horrible experience. Fuq you very much".
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #13
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer
I had a guy who started off pleasantly enough and asked what I did for a living. I'm typically vague and just say, "I work in biotech". He went on to ask what specifically and I said, 'Management".

It was still pleasant at this point then told me what he made ($150K) and asked what I made. I said, I don't share my income with people and began to get back into the car. His next volley was, "Do you think I can afford this?" I told him that I don't control his finances and tried to go when he lost it and went off - "You think that you are better than everyone else because you drive a car most people can't afford but I can tell since you didn't want to tell me how much you make that you are a big asshole who thinks he's better than everyone". I said, "Nope, I just came here to get fuel and you just made this a horrible experience. Fuq you very much".
Wow that's crazy! It started out fine then turned into shit real quick. That's the thing about people. Sometimes you meet some really cool people out on the road, and other times some people can be so freaking weird it makes you go WTF?

This is the reason why some people, myself included, don't make eye contact when they drive on the road. Because you never know what kinda crazy person with insecurities you going to meet at the next light or the gas station. But then to them you look like a pompous BMW prick, so you're damned either way. Lol

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #14
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
My neighbors all have gotten to know me as that youngin with the cute bulldog and nice rides. But a new tenant (I live in a high rise, I know- boojy) was moving in, saw the i8 and asked me "is that your dads car?"

Damn being 28, but looking 21
      09-09-2016, 10:11 PM   #15
twm6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Protonic Blue I8

I had a girl rolled up to me and asked "hey do you want to trade cars?" she drives a toyota btw, I just smiled and said "i wouldnt cuz your is faster" LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #16
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
For the most part, people are really cool to me. The thing that gets very annoying, is when (it always seems to be American cars) Camaros and Mustangs pull up and start revving their engines.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #17
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree here with you How is it dumb I can may be understand a little the rude part but dumb.. ? and your type of answer is what puts people in the level of a douchebag..
If you don't feel like giving away personal information to complete strangers you have a couple of choices.

I go for the jokey "Work" answer instead of:

- just ignoring them, which is rude if they don't seem to be doing it for rudeness sake themselves

- lying (my English accent isn't good enough to trick people into thinking I'm Jason Statham...and I'm not that jacked)

- Objectively being a douche by being sarcastic/condescending

And as the base of it, it's their parent's fault for not teaching them it's rude to pry into someone else's business over possessions.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 06:05 PM   #18
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
I haven't experienced any rude interactions yet (luckily). It's either:

- Wanting to race
- Giving me a thumbs up
- Taking photos or videos

Yesterday I was watching a guy take a selfie with it, and when I walked out we just chatted...pretty typical questions, "how much, is it all-wheel, how's the efficiency, do the fins in the back help?" Then he asked if his girlfriend to sit in it, I said sure...he was being polite enough and it made them happy.

Today another guy was taking a video and he just gave me compliments on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 06:09 PM   #19
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusivedetails View Post

Best hope it wasn't a voodoo curse in disguise. I've become weary of girls in front of liquor stores ...
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #20
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974 View Post
For the most part, people are really cool to me. The thing that gets very annoying, is when (it always seems to be American cars) Camaros and Mustangs pull up and start revving their engines.
... because that's all they can do ...
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2016, 07:37 PM   #21
hwaghela
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750 i X drive, BMW i8 2019

Nice answer

That's what I did in my 2016 750 x drive... I smoked him from one traffic light to other,,, but next to me was Infiniti...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #22
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

Asking what you do for a living is a fair question imo. They're just asking how did you get to own it - natural curiosity.