BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

08-17-2023, 07:27 AM   #1
H1GhPwR
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 94Ah

i3 i-level programming with ISTA+ 4.39.20 (+SDP 4.42.40) + ENET cable

Hi all,

My i3 94Ah LCI 2018 is production date march 2018, hence it's integration level I001-18-03-5xx.

I know that there have been quite some updates over the years and just recently, there was a very new release of I001-23-07-530 within data set 4.42.32.

I got hold of ISTA+ 4.39.20 Standalone (ISTA+ App v.4.39.20.24455 & SDP v.4.39.20) which I installed yesterday.

That dataset includes I001-22-11-5xx and connected, for diagnosis purposes first only, instantly via ENET cable to my car and read out all information.

I couldn't try the programming bit yet but it recognizes my programming data in the top left corner.

In addition, I also got a separate full PSdZData 4.42.40 set. That one includes the aforementioned I001-23-07-530.

Therefore my intention is to update all my ECUs with ISTA+ 4.39.20 with SDP 4.42.40 via ENET cable.

Now the funny part is that you barely find any matching information for any such undertaking when looking online.
You always find bits and pieces but no seamless answers.

---

Therefore some important questions first:

1) Can I simply replace my 4.39.20 PSdZData folder with the fully extracted v.4.42.40_PSdZData_Full 7zip file?

When I look into the 4.42.40 7zip file, it holds exactly the same folder structure that could go into the original PSdZData folder that INSTA+ created while installation.

It sounds very easy and probable to do this but I'd like to get assurance that this will reassure coding capabilities without errors.

2) ENET cable is fully supported.

It seems that ENET became more reliable and usable over the years. Diagnostics work and people tend to say that ISTA+ can also program ECUs that way nowadays safely. Is this the case?

3) ISTA+ is said to be more foolproof for beginners (like me).

Advanced users use E-SYS, we all understood that. Nevertheless BMW dealerships use ISTA+ for such tasks; shouldn't it be common sense that this will also work flawlessly at home then as it is intended to be more "bulletproof".

Not every BMW employee is a coding expert and masters E-SYS by nature...

Furthermore, if programming fails at first attempt, you can rerun the measure and fix it in another attempt.

4) The BMW i3 doesn't seem to need a battery pack or charging supply connected to the 12V onboard battery as it has the high voltage battery anyway that can maintain voltage and support programming.

Does that statement hold truth? If I remember well the 12V battery is also very difficult to reach on the i3.

5) What procedures to maintain when daring to program?

Many people say "windows down, seat belts buckled up, doors closed".... There are so many confusing statements everywhere....Is there something like a golden rule that just "makes it work".

---

I understand that more experienced users in coding and using the BMW tools might roll their eyes now, but it would be of great interest for me to get more common knowledge on this task and understand how things play out.

I am sure many other readers think alike.

Thank you if I can get some help. I googled and searched for days but I couldn't get any profound usable results.

Last edited by H1GhPwR; 09-01-2023 at 12:54 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-20-2023, 05:27 PM   #2
H1GhPwR
Luxembourg
Rep

As no one has replied yet with any helpful comments, I decided to proceed on my own.

After fiddling with ISTA+ settings and getting the install folders for SDP files right, ISTA+ worked like a charm.

I decided to stick with the SDP v.4.39.20 data set that came with ISTA+ 4.39.20 Standalone as it sounded more "safe" for me to rely on the same ISTA release files. Nevertheless it is the first time I am using ISTA+, so i might be wrong and one could just replace SDP datasets with newer versions?!

I was easily able to hook up my car via ENET cable, perform vehicle identification and then run a measure plan. Cleared all actual fault codes and then "Software update" showed me the possibility to update to I001-22-11-510.

I donīt know why there are different I001-22-11-5xx versions but it gave me 510 to update to.

I ran the calculation check and set off. 75 long lasting minutes later, everything was fully updated. I must say I was a little nervous as I didnīt want anything to go wrong... but it worked out flawlessly.

Only 1 flashing didnīt proceed at all, that was TTS, which was stuck at 0% while all other flashings proceeded to 100% each time. ISTA+ nevertheless didnīt report any errors or faults at the end. My assumption is that TTS is "Text To Speech" which I might just not have "enabled" or "integrated" in my car VO ?!

First test drive went smooth without check warnings and I noticed the new graphics, visuals, menu orientation and menu options straight away. I then set up all the individual settings again that get saved with your driverīs key.

All in all a success - next step will be coding such as CarPlay full screen , etc etc.

Last edited by H1GhPwR; 09-01-2023 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 4
      08-23-2023, 08:22 PM   #3
bitmanEV
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

Garage List
That is so cool and yes your right there is so much bits and pieces but never a complete manual on-line

To me it's like going back in time when I was hacking Sat Receivers to open up encripted channels. Was more for fun as I don't really watch TV

So nice thing that you got it all working I'm looking forward for more updates from your adventures

BTW any idea where to get ISTA+ from as again there's so many different sites with different stories

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 01:16 AM   #4
TK123
Registered
Rep

Where can I download ISTA+ 4.39.20 Standalone? Have an i3 stuck in limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 07:15 AM   #5
H1GhPwR
Luxembourg
Rep

After a while, I fiddled with the coding I mentioned in my earlier post.

A friend of mine worked his E-SYS magic and we had everything up and running in no time.

Following coding was applied:

- CarPlay full screen
- Video in motion
- Limiter on "Set" button
- Tail lights on with Daytime Running Lights
- Traffic Jam Assist up to 99 kmh on all roads (no geolock)
- Eco Pro setting at each start up
- Temperature indication next to tyre pressure indication

Maybe time for me to get hold of E-SYS and learn the tool as well. Looks complicated but cannot be so hard anyway.

Next mission: Getting hold of a genuine OEM FSC for map updates that allows USB updates on NBT evo id5/id6

I don't want to use "Feature Installer" or "HU TOOL" that injects random code and weird FSCs in order to unlock features.

Last edited by H1GhPwR; 09-01-2023 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 04:23 PM   #6
bitmanEV
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs up

Very nice indeed
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 10:04 PM   #7
bagd0003
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3, 2020 BMW X5

I have a 2014 rex that hasn't been updated in years. I'm going to have to look into this as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 01:24 AM   #8
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: i20

@H1GhPwR; where did you find the software and files? I have a 2016 i3 with 2016 iLevel, so upgrading would be great!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 06:29 AM   #9
Iteixeira
Cucho
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepppie View Post
@H1GhPwR; where did you find the software and files? I have a 2016 i3 with 2016 iLevel, so upgrading would be great!
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...UT?usp=sharing
Appreciate 3
      12-05-2023, 02:14 AM   #10
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Update; I was able to do the 23-07 update with ISTA+ v4.39.20 and 4.44.10 data. Took less than half an hour and works like a charm.

Can't find anything different in the menus or different functioning options.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 03:03 PM   #11
A1ncrad
Rep
Drives: MINI Countryman 2020 F60 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1GhPwR View Post
After a while, I fiddled with the coding I mentioned in my earlier post.

A friend of mine worked his E-SYS magic and we had everything up and running in no time.

Following coding was applied:

- CarPlay full screen
- Video in motion
- Limiter on "Set" button
- Tail lights on with Daytime Running Lights
- Traffic Jam Assist up to 99 kmh on all roads (no geolock)
- Eco Pro setting at each start up
- Temperature indication next to tyre pressure indication

Maybe time for me to get hold of E-SYS and learn the tool as well. Looks complicated but cannot be so hard anyway.

Next mission: Getting hold of a genuine OEM FSC for map updates that allows USB updates on NBT evo id5/id6

I don't want to use "Feature Installer" or "HU TOOL" that injects random code and weird FSCs in order to unlock features.
Nice work! I am planning to do the same to my MINI... Did you run ista+ on win7 or win10? Is it a 32bit or 64bit? Is the installation straight forward? Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 03:26 PM   #12
A1ncrad
Rep

Quote:
Update; I was able to do the 23-07 update with ISTA+ v4.39.20 and 4.44.10 data. Took less than half an hour and works like a charm.

Can't find anything different in the menus or different functioning options.
Which version did you upgrade from? I wonder if time is correlated with version differences, how much battery did the process drain? Wondering if I need to get a battery charger.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 01:41 AM   #13
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1ncrad View Post
Which version did you upgrade from? I wonder if time is correlated with version differences, how much battery did the process drain? Wondering if I need to get a battery charger.
Don't need a battery charger; ISTA checks the battery and you need at least half capacity, else it doesn't start the update.

Came from a 2016-version (I thought it was 1611).
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 04:24 PM   #14
A1ncrad
Rep

Quote:
Don't need a battery charger; ISTA checks the battery and you need at least half capacity, else it doesn't start the update.

Came from a 2016-version (I thought it was 1611).
Thank you. Do the window close themselves during programming? I saw in the manual that cable should not route through the window...wonder where the enet should go through to my laptop (got my win10 sorted, ista installed thank god)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 02:17 AM   #15
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1ncrad View Post
Thank you. Do the window close themselves during programming? I saw in the manual that cable should not route through the window...wonder where the enet should go through to my laptop (got my win10 sorted, ista installed thank god)
Correct. They open and close during coding. Just put the powercable to your laptop through the tailgate and close it. Works perfect.

Nb; if someone's wondering PSDZ 4.45.21 contains new programming data for the i3.. No, it's still 2307.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 07:34 AM   #16
PrimeSuspect
Registered
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Correct. They open and close during coding. Just put the power cable to your laptop through the tailgate and close it. Works perfect.

Nb; if someone's wondering PSDZ 4.45.21 contains new programming data for the i3.. No, it's still 2307.
What are the benefits and differences of the new programming data? I have ista+ on my laptop and e-net cable. I just used ista+ to reset my high-voltage battery to increase the battery capacity. I'm kinda new in these kinds of things. Btw i have 2014 BMW i3 60ah. Those datas are oke for any i3 and any risk?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 06:59 AM   #17
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeSuspect View Post
What are the benefits and differences of the new programming data? I have ista+ on my laptop and e-net cable. I just used ista+ to reset my high-voltage battery to increase the battery capacity. I'm kinda new in these kinds of things. Btw i have 2014 BMW i3 60ah. Those datas are oke for any i3 and any risk?
Just give it a go and do the maintenance update!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 06:08 AM   #18
H1GhPwR
Luxembourg
Rep

I ran ISTA+ 4.39.20 Standalone on Windows 11 64 Bit.

Installation was ok, the integration of SDP was a little tricky as it is not done during the installation process (windows installer). You integrate the dataset manually.

I will not do I001-23-07-xxx for now... i'll just wait and see if anything newer comes out one day.

No need for battery charger on i3. It has plenty of battery underneath
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 10:11 PM   #19
bagd0003
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3, 2020 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeSuspect View Post
I have a 2014 as well. Can you please provide the details on how you reset the high voltage battery? Did that make a noticable difference?
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 04:38 PM   #20
macdaddybighorn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1GhPwR View Post

I was easily able to hook up my car via ENET cable, perform vehicle identification and then run a measure plan. Cleared all actual fault codes and then "Software update" showed me the possibility to update to I001-22-11-510.

I donīt know why there are different I001-22-11-5xx versions but it gave me 510 to update to.

I ran the calculation check and set off. 75 long lasting minutes later, everything was fully updated. I must say I was a little nervous as I didnīt want anything to go wrong... but it worked out flawlessly.
Did you use a power supply to program at all? I see it was one of your questions, I am just getting hooked up and don't have one. I also have the option grayed out to Execute Measures Plan, so I think I'm missing a step, or maybe it's because I have a fault code in for a failed fuel pressure sensor. It looks like it's ready to go with a list of things to program, I ran the calculation, just don't have the option to execute. It also kept giving me a battery warning for high voltage, did you get that at all?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 05:52 PM   #21
MagicCarpet
Rep

Thanks for telling us how it worked out for you.
I have tried to use ISTA+ however I think the -P part of the download failed.

I have been using Esys, confirming no need to put a 70amp power supply on the 12V battery because the car keeps the HV battery on and charging the 12V.

Sometimes my session on Esys takes so long the PC looses ENET connection but every time it has finished or I connect again without problem.

I have not been able to find a good guide for Esys - or ISTA+
especially setting up NAVI when the original country is Japan and the area needs changing to EU or Australia.

Any way to discover the run time hours for the Rex? I have never found it using the cars service menu, wonder if this data is kept somewhere that can be read by Esys or ISTA-d?

Any guides appreciated as some of the coding is different with i3 compared to the E and F series mostly discussed in main forums.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 11:40 AM   #22
seapea
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 REX

Lightbulb SDP v4.46.30 contains - I001_24_03_535_V_004_000_001

The newest SDP bundle (4.46.30) contains a fresh 24_03_535 build for our i3 and shows an increased module upgrade count of 32 vs 31 for the previous builds when running the test plan. Has anyone tried/flashed this newest version yet? Is there a way to see the documented changes somewhere?
Appreciate 0