BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

06-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #45
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envyscorpio
I wonder how far tuners can push the little turbo? This will be a whole new tunning territory making sure more hp works with the electric power unit.

Wider track and more power!!! I won't mind having 10mpg less lol
That engine is maxed now. 240hp out of 1.5l is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #46
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
That engine is maxed now. 240hp out of 1.5l is amazing.
Tuning these cars will be very tricky, I think. I wouldn't want to make my i8 faster at the expense of lowering range or making all electric range less than it already is.

Surely the electric motor is tuneable, since it is the same one as the i3 has, but the i8 has a much smaller capacity battery.

Tuners will need to be mindful of the car's roots and purpose for tuning to make sense.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #47
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

How does the i8 change things?
- there is no other product like it, from start to finish.

The i8, and the i3, break new ground from the start. Not only were they designed to be mass-produced consumer cars, the entire design, fabrication and assembly processes were envisioned and then created from scratch. The goal was to make the i products self-sufficient in all areas - economic, technical, engineering, materials supply, fabrication, assembly, distribution, service - in the same manner that internal combustion vehicles are.

This meant that an entirely independent "world" had to be envisioned, created and successfully sustained. Toward that goal BMW has invested close to $1.0 billion :
- developing unique CFRP material
- developing production of the CFRP in a formerly-unavailable quantity and price
- developing fabrication and assembly of CFRP on a mass-production scale
- developing the capability to distribute and service the products on a worldwide consumer scale
- structuring the entire process - raw materials to dealership delivery to recycling - so that it is as self-sustaining as possible
- independence from US federal consumer tax credits as a requirement for financial viability
- a series of products for consumer choices, that are available and usable in most consumer environments
- excellent automobiles that are easily competitive with the alternatives in their market segments

I cannot understand why many of the members above are so negative about this effort. Not only does it display unique and innovative work by BMW, but it has already led to more advanced and (arguably) better-performing products from the gasoline-powered side. Enabling a new generation of lighter, more fuel-effective, less resource-intensive, and faster designs is a good thing ... right?

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #48
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Impressive design yes.

I'd have been more impressed if it was really born electric only.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #49
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Engine-debate aside, this is one nice looking car. Even some of the pictures from the delivery event look like renders rather than actual photos. Can't wait to see it in person!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #50
BarlasaM
Gravity Sucks.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

i8 US Production

Production details for US will be announced around July 4th.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #51
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarlasaM View Post
Production details for US will be announced around July 4th.
Hmm. That gives them 6 weeks 3 days to go from order bank opening to a podium at Pebble Beach for the first customer car (assuming that's happening). Never seen a overseas car company with such a tight and efficient supply chain to be able to go from announcing order details to delivery in less than two months. Kudos to them if they pull it off.

I can't really think of any good reason not to already have an order guide out there for US buyers. The M3/M4 configurators have been live for two months and those cars aren't supposed to begin delivery until after the i8. So weird.

Last edited by Carac; 06-10-2014 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #52
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Hmm. That gives them 6 weeks 3 days to go from order bank opening to a podium at Pebble Beach for the first customer car (assuming that's happening). Never seen a overseas car company with such a tight and efficient supply chain to be able to go from announcing order details to delivery in less than two months. Kudos to them if they pull it off.

I can't really think of any good reason not to already have an order guide out there for US buyers. The M3/M4 configurators have been live for two months and those cars aren't supposed to begin delivery until after the i8. So weird.
I had heard that the Pebble Beach delivery would be to a single customer, similar to what was done for the first US i3 delivery. I can imagine for a one off car, they could certainly make special arrangements for taking the order early in order to deliver by Aug. 17.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #53
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmiii View Post

The i8, and the i3, break new ground from the start. Not only were they designed to be mass-produced consumer cars, the entire design, fabrication and assembly processes were envisioned and then created from scratch. The goal was to make the i products self-sufficient in all areas - economic, technical, engineering, materials supply, fabrication, assembly, distribution, service - in the same manner that internal combustion vehicles are.

This meant that an entirely independent "world" had to be envisioned, created and successfully sustained. Toward that goal BMW has invested close to $1.0 billion :
- developing production of the CFRP in a formerly-unavailable quantity and price
- developing the capability to distribute and service the products on a worldwide consumer scale
- structuring the entire process - raw materials to dealership delivery to recycling - so that it is as self-sustaining as possible
- independence from US federal consumer tax credits as a requirement for financial viability
- a series of products for consumer choices, that are available and usable in most consumer environments
- excellent automobiles that are easily competitive with the alternatives in their market segments

I cannot understand why many of the members above are so negative about this effort. Not only does it display unique and innovative work by BMW, but it has already led to more advanced and (arguably) better-performing products from the gasoline-powered side. Enabling a new generation of lighter, more fuel-effective, less resource-intensive, and faster designs is a good thing ... right?

You can believe what you want but I8 and I3 are stop gap vehicles. Mclaren, Tesla, Porsche are kicking ass! You know what I'm talking about. We all wish BMW would f-ing make a car like P1 or Tesla S but they would rather make uber Toyota. Fine, let's see how long that strategy works at the prices they are charging. Their product strategy is worrisome with their budget. M235i is 3600 lbs?? Cayman is 2950!! Once BMW makes a car like Cayman than we can continue this conversation. I don't even want to mention LFA, GTR etc. A halo sustainable car with bicycle tires, from BMW, really?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #54
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
You can believe what you want but I8 and I3 are stop gap vehicles. Mclaren, Tesla, Porsche are kicking ass! You know what I'm talking about. We all wish BMW would f-ing make a car like P1 or Tesla S but they would rather make uber Toyota. Fine, let's see how long that strategy works at the prices they are charging. Their product strategy is worrisome with their budget. M235i is 3600 lbs?? Cayman is 2950!! Once BMW makes a car like Cayman than we can continue this conversation. I don't even want to mention LFA, GTR etc. A halo sustainable car with bicycle tires, from BMW, really?
Ohhh...Yessss, I would MUCH rather have them make a million dollar car I'll never own, drive, or likely see and which only the truely super-rich can afford over something that looks more interesting (design-wise) than any of them, is comparable in performance to a R8 V8, and for less $ than a loaded M6 GranCoupe.

Complaining that the i8 is not "destroying" the 918, P1, LaFerrari is like complaining that a model can't bench 1000lbs. I could understand all of you complaining if this was from the ///M dept...but it's from their eco dept. What do you expect? Keep you pants on because it's all but assured that M is working on their own bespoke car using the carbon fiber and other tech from i.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #55
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Not sure how am I going to open the door when I park it in front of Walmart
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #56
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
This event is for those who have most likely have the means to purchase any car they could possible want. I am sure that they have some form of statues to get the first 8 i8's delivered. But who cares???
I do...

The car is a waste, when BMW is putting so much into it, but neglecting their core customer? We get it, BMW is #1 now... and they have forgotten what/whom got them there. An i8... before North America gets a BMW hatchback..? An "Active Tourer" that nobody wants..
(We've been told lies)

Because BMW decide that the future is here, so they are going to make hi-posh cars for the German elite..? And invest very little money elsewhere..?

I don't see the i8 as a halo car, I see it as a distraction from BMW making driving machines. Don't care how many Don Johnsons buys an i8, it does very little for the rest of BMW's line-up. People who will buy a Ford Escape, over a BMW Active-Tourer, or who purchase a new Ford Mustang, over a M235i (or even an M4) don't care that BMW wasted years of development on a car they don't want.

How much did the I-series cost BMW to develop? How many will they sell..? Where is the demand..?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #57
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmiii View Post

At the cost of all other BMW's...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #58
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

" At the cost of all other BMW's..."
Say WHAT?!?

The requirements of the i Series have led to BETTER gasoline cars - carbon fiber use and availability, engineering improvement being two biggest areas.

If you're speaking about $$$, BMW hasn't diverted any resources from its legacy models into i. Changes are market-driven, not dollar allocations.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #59
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
8 Weeks to Pebble Beach Concours

Looks like September or later for us. Especially if the rumor about US orders not opening until the first week of July are true. Hopefully we'll get two full months of driving before having to put it up for the winter.

Last edited by Carac; 06-23-2014 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0