BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

04-21-2024, 10:24 PM   #1
happycappie
Registered
Rep
Drives: iX

Software version misunderstanding

Has anyone else received repeated notifications to complete a remote software upgrade for a version that they already have installed? For example, I successfully completed the upgrade to software version 11/2023.73, but the BMW App keeps prompting me to download a software package for the same version and then gets stuck at the part where the software update gets copied from your phone to the car.

Name:  software-version.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  231.7 KB

Name:  software-upgade-bmw-app-screenshot.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  103.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 12:45 AM   #2
daniely
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive50

I haven’t received any new update since I got the car (~3 weeks ago). Kind of got stuck at 11/2023.42 which has two main issues: 1) enabling automatic time zone mistakanly locates the car in Berlin (I’m in CA); 2) remote control parking in the app is not working.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 01:45 AM   #3
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniely View Post
I haven’t received any new update since I got the car (~3 weeks ago). Kind of got stuck at 11/2023.42 which has two main issues: 1) enabling automatic time zone mistakanly locates the car in Berlin (I’m in CA); 2) remote control parking in the app is not working.
I believe BMW only releases OTA updates a few times a year, so only having the car three weeks with no OTA updates is not surprising. I have had mine about two months and am on the same software. The time zone issue is a known issue for many. Not sure about the remote control parking which works fine for me on the same software version.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2024, 06:30 AM   #4
Kennethjk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IX 50, Mustang Mach E, BMWX3

I had 2 updates within 2 days of getting the car on March 23, 2024, latest is 11/2023.42.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2024, 06:57 AM   #5
JSTARR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW IX, BMW X3, Toyota Tacoma

Best to have dealer check.
I had a software issue relating to nav that had seemed to havr been installed at port of ny bmw workshop. So there are some flaky versions out there.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2024, 07:18 AM   #6
jono987654321
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40 (Late 2022)

Dealer-installed 03/2024.30 fixed remote parking for me. Actually, it fixed the whole Park Assist Pro which had reverted to “Activating”
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2024, 11:36 AM   #7
daniely
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBMW View Post
I believe BMW only releases OTA updates a few times a year, so only having the car three weeks with no OTA updates is not surprising. I have had mine about two months and am on the same software. The time zone issue is a known issue for many. Not sure about the remote control parking which works fine for me on the same software version.
BMW OTA updates releaseing is still bizarre to me. There are folks who got some newer versions and others don’t. Maybe depends on the installed packages and the year built or something.
RCP issue for me seems to be software problem as concluded in this thread. Glad that yours is working fine. Did you have this version since day 1 or you just upgraded to this version recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennethjk View Post
I had 2 updates within 2 days of getting the car on March 23, 2024, latest is 11/2023.42.
What is the month/year built of your car, if I may ask? Do you recall the version before upgrading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTARR View Post
Best to have dealer check.
I had a software issue relating to nav that had seemed to havr been installed at port of ny bmw workshop. So there are some flaky versions out there.
True. I took it to a dealership. Stayed there for a whole day. They didn’t fix it. For time zone issue, they checked GPS instead and told me it’s working normal because they cannot reproduce the issue. For RCP, they just simply didn’t do anything even though I clearly asked them for a sw upgrade. They apologized at the end and asked me to leave the car there for a couple of more days. I didn’t do it because it’s not worth it and I decided to just wait for the next upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono987654321 View Post
Dealer-installed 03/2024.30 fixed remote parking for me. Actually, it fixed the whole Park Assist Pro which had reverted to “Activating”
It’s interesting that this fix is not yet released through OTA. Do you know the months they usually releases the upgrades by any chance?
Appreciate 1
LVBMW1469.50
      04-22-2024, 01:55 PM   #8
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniely View Post
BMW OTA updates releaseing is still bizarre to me. There are folks who got some newer versions and others don’t. Maybe depends on the installed packages and the year built or something.
RCP issue for me seems to be software problem as concluded in this thread. Glad that yours is working fine. Did you have this version since day 1 or you just upgraded to this version recently?

What is the month/year built of your car, if I may ask? Do you recall the version before upgrading?

True. I took it to a dealership. Stayed there for a whole day. They didn’t fix it. For time zone issue, they checked GPS instead and told me it’s working normal because they cannot reproduce the issue. For RCP, they just simply didn’t do anything even though I clearly asked them for a sw upgrade. They apologized at the end and asked me to leave the car there for a couple of more days. I didn’t do it because it’s not worth it and I decided to just wait for the next upgrade.

It’s interesting that this fix is not yet released through OTA. Do you know the months they usually releases the upgrades by any chance?
I agree that the BMW OTA update process is somewhat opaque and is also very region dependent, model dependent, build date dependent, etc. Some people get newer software versions if they bring in the car with a specific issue that could be resolved by newer software.

How could your dealer say they could not reproduce the time zone issue? All they have to do is turn on the auto time setting and see that the region is not correct.

I have the DAP package, so I have had parking assistant professional since day one. It's always worked without an issue. I have been on the same software version 11/2023.42 since day one.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2024, 02:04 PM   #9
daniely
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBMW View Post
How could your dealer say they could not reproduce the time zone issue? All they have to do is turn on the auto time setting and see that the region is not correct.
Yes, totally! That was why I didn’t leave it there. Lost my trust.
Appreciate 1
LVBMW1469.50
      04-22-2024, 09:13 PM   #10
Kennethjk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IX 50, Mustang Mach E, BMWX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennethjk View Post

I don’t remember what exact version of software my car had, but it was a 11/2023.?
The car was built in Dec 2023, a 2024 and sat for 7 weeks waiting for them to fix some valve leak before it was shipped to the US
Appreciate 0