Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

02-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #45
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Yes, BMW's reasoning baffles me. By the time the car is launched diesels will definitely have caught on in America.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #46
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdomPHD View Post
The diesel revolution will never get off the ground here in the US unless it gets good and "sporty" reviews that really catch the young American's eye. ... A HUGE boost to the diesel name and a way to break the old ideology. So why ... a gas burner. It seems counter productive to put advertising up for diesel models in the US and then throw away the diesel factor of this super car, which in my opinion would have been BMW's "diesel jewel." (edits added)
DUDE -
Quote:
BMW make(s) it's first super car, it's only competition for the Italian cars and others like the R8 etc., the ONE car that will get a huge amount of attention ...(edits added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
What's so relevant about automatically losing about 50% of the car's fuel efficiency by switching to gasoline? So much for making a radical hyper efficient sports car.
Again -
Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
Now it's just another useless gasoline hybrid like all the others.
Let's hope that this huge missed opportunity doesn't render an otherwise ground-breaking effort as something more generic.

You guys are SOOOO right. A real opportunity for BMW to stake out a unique future and LEAD.
I hope that their marketing research indicated it would be stillborn in the US and thus cripple the product's viability, rather than the company losing some nerve.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #47
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Why so much hate to the Americans. BMW sells vehicles for a profit. If his two largest market are Europe and America followed by Asia and the rest, don't you think you they should produce vehicle that will sell in mass quantity.

It like having a burger joint and only selling veg burger because your European client think it offensive to kill animals. Eventually ever other client will leave to buy it somewhere else.

So, was I excited about the diesel model. Yes.

At 125k it and does not matter if the car gets xx mpg.

My only thought is could If it closer to 200k is that I rather own the new M3 and M5. There goes the MPG.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #48
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk227 View Post
Why so much hate to the Americans. BMW sells vehicles for a profit. If his two largest market are Europe and America followed by Asia and the rest, don't you think you they should produce vehicle that will sell in mass quantity.
It has nothing to do with hating Americans, but it has probably everything to do with your country and the state of California in particular which probably buys more hybrid vehicles that anywhere. Who else in their right mind apart for sport/music/movie celebs will pay to excessive prices for modest performance unless it give them the hot fuzzy feeling of credibility like they care about the environment.

Last edited by footie; 02-25-2011 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #49
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
It has nothing to do with hating Americans, but it has probably everything to do with your country and the state of California in particular which probably buys more hybrid vehicles that anywhere. Who else in their right mind apart for sport/music/movie celebs will pay to excessive prices for modest performance unless it give them the hot fuzzy feeling of credibility like they care about the environment.

Yes, but it is only (incorrect) American perception that Diesel is bad for the environment,

and smart marketing by BMW could turn that around.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #50
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Yes, but it is only (incorrect) American perception that Diesel is bad for the environment,

and smart marketing by BMW could turn that around.
I can't be sure about this but I think diesel is actually worse for the environment than what petrol is. But I do think in the long term they should has stuck with the diesel.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #51
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:
WTF. The diesel revolution will never get off the ground here in the US unless it gets good and "sporty" reviews that really catch the young American's eye. So why in the name of God would BMW make it's first super car, it's only competition for the Italian cars and others like the R8 etc., the ONE car that will get a huge amount of attention....a gas burner.

It was planned as a diesel, but now...almost strictly for the US market (as it would seem)...they have altered their approach and have gone mainstream with this gorgeous car. Why? It seems counter productive to put advertising up for diesel models in the US and then throw away the diesel factor of this super car, which in my opinion would have been BMW's "diesel jewel." A HUGE boost to the diesel name and a way to break the old ideology.

Sometimes BMW just doesn't make sense. Either way though, this car will be a hit. No doubt in my mind.
Because as they say "The man with the gold makes the rules" no matter how idiotic those rules are. Better said, simple economics: Customer is king, you give customers what they want or you sink.
      02-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #52
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

How many people paying $100K+ for their cars do you think care about MPG? I suspect the number is closer to 5% at most. And anyone paying that much for a car, its not really a daily driver. At that point even poor old me wouldn't care much as the car is only occasionally driven for leisure and fan. I don't see what is so difficult to understand about that.
      02-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #53
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39hijinks View Post
I like how all of you are sitting behind a computer screen giving orders to BMW headquarters on how to market and produce their cars. Stunning!
HA! thats what i was thinking.

and i dont think that car will do well in the states. we are still in bad economic times, and people are not going to pay over six figures for a car that only gets good gas mileage. it looks cool, and is expensive, but it isnt very fast. sound like another car to you? sounds similar to the vantage v8, except with better fuel economy.

Last edited by crackberry; 02-25-2011 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #54
BMWBoss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Now if they pump some more power into this car it'll actually be worth it
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #55
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

It is a good move. It means it may get an more than 200 HP I4 engine. The car will have much better performance and also be lighter. Gazoline engines are lighter than diesel, and torque is not an issue as the i8 has electric power also. Sound may also be much better.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #56
Rolitto
Second Lieutenant
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: BMW

Great great great news!

I hate Diesel.

Supercars and Diesel is like going to the beach with a neck-tie and formal suit.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #57
asa7
I WANT A BMW!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 white Chevy Cavalier coupe

That's a shame. They should still have the diesel as an option
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #58
guydude
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 ordered

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
How much money are we looking at for one of these i8s?
Hmm is say a lot more....150
Appreciate 0