Drives: e30 325i

I like it!!!! That interior is superb!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #24
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: twin turbo 6 with frunk

These doors will work really well in my condo garage spot.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #25
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYON
You guys should give the car to Chris Harris to test it out. So curious to know how it drives. That'll be the biggest thing when buying a car that looks like this and is 135k(gt3 money).
Oh boy, here we go with the "gt3 money" comments. Not everyone wants or likes a gt3. When Porsche makes a modern 928 then maybe they'll have my attention but until then I couldn't care less about the 911 series of cars. Also if you REALLY want to talk about dollar for performance then I have one word for you, GTR.... :-)

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #26
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Stunning Car!

Seeing this car up close in real life is a delight.

Can't wait to drive it!

My only wish is that they use the exotic configuration and materials in combination with a more fire breathing Powertrain.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #27
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judah
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYON
You guys should give the car to Chris Harris to test it out. So curious to know how it drives. That'll be the biggest thing when buying a car that looks like this and is 135k(gt3 money).
Oh boy, here we go with the "gt3 money" comments. Not everyone wants or likes a gt3. When Porsche makes a modern 928 then maybe they'll have my attention but until then I couldn't care less about the 911 series of cars. Also if you REALLY want to talk about dollar for performance then I have one word for you, GTR.... :-)

Don't worry, no one who talks like that has ever been in a GT3. It's a very serious driver's tool that 99% of people would hate to have as their everyday car.

I agree with the rest of your post, KEYON, it would be great to see Chris Harris drive the i3 and i8 and to hear his impressions of the driving experience. I'm curious to find out where BMW ended up on the compromise between ride and handling, I hope this is a pretty comfortable and luxurious GT car because I think that would appeal more to its clientele. I know I wouldn't want a sharp, aggressive sports car with this powertrain.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #28
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

^^

This.

Actually after the $7500 US tax rebate an i8 (which is fully loaded as standard, except the often mentioned but never seen CFRP wheels maybe?) costs about the same or less than a fully loaded M6 (any M6 variant); A 760Li base price is higher than the i8, even without the rebate.

Lots of Porsches, not just a GT3, enter that territory with some options (Cayenne Turbo, Panamera GTS/Turbo, 911 Turbo variants). Maserati on the lower end, also about the same. There are TONS of cars in the $120k - $150k range. They are all vastly different. Not everyone buying a car in this price range wants a GT3

The i8 price is solid and reasonable, especially considering the tech.

Also I highly doubt that the i8 will be the only vehicle for most customers.

Hopefully we'll see more thorough test drives and impressions in Q1 2014.

I can't wait to sit in one, let alone drive it!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #29
e92miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 C300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
It is hard for me to see where this fits. Supercar looks, good but not great performance. Is it more pretense than substance? A child of regulatory excess.
I don't know anyone calling this a supercar or saying it has supercar looks. This is just the 1st generation of a electronic sports car. Tesla hit it huge with a sedan and BMW took a different route. I think in the 2nd or 3rd generation we will really have some great cars. Both these i cars are BMW flexing their muscle of what can be done today.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #30
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Interior Dashboard.
The interior of the i8 is a precursor to the next generation of BMW interiors.
The layering concept started with the BMW 1er and has continued to progress as shown with the new BMW X5.
The next 7er derives its look from the i8 dashboard for a more modern , minimalist use. There will be surfaces , a complete de-cluttering of switchgear and a larger central screen which will stand upright in the centre of the dash giving the appearance of a flat screen TV in a minimalist but thoroughly modern environment. The new 7er will be BMWs most technically advanced car yet and every aspect will reflect that.

In the meantime when the holidays conclude it will be back to prep for the BMW i8 media and first drives in the 1st quarter of 2014.
Scott26, in terms of the driving experience, how will the first drives in Q1 differ from the media test drives conducted in France earlier this year? Also, where will these next media drives take place?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #31
Ringer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ms

Τhe only thing that i really like in this car is the key. Nothing else!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #32
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knolow
Beautiful. First order of business is changing those wheels. Then getting a black Hugo boss suit, baller!
Hugo boss isnt baller enough lol.

Zegna minimum.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #33
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Don't worry, no one who talks like that has ever been in a GT3. It's a very serious driver's tool that 99% of people would hate to have as their everyday car.
That is simply not the case with the 991 version - very livable as a Daily Driver.
      12-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #34
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
That is simply not the case with the 991 version - very livable as a Daily Driver.
True, I should have said 996 or 997. The new one is such a different car that I sometimes find it hard to even consider it a GT3. The 997 is probably my favorite vehicle that I've ever driven precisely because it's brutal. The clutch is not hydraulically assisted, for example, so it takes real strength to press down and the action of the shifter is precise unlike any other car. You really need to focus to drive it smoothly which is why I think it would be very tiresome on a daily commute but it's just perfect when you really want to drive it.

I think the 991 GT3 has the same kind of PASM shocks (Bilstein Damptronic) as the regular 911 and it's an automatic so it would probably be fine as your only car.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #35
advgrl78
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5

Love this car!

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #36
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Thx for sharing this scott26
BTW, is the BMW i8's 6 speed auto transmission going to get a 8/9 speed auto in a midcycle refresh. I can't find where I read this but it seemed logical as 6 speed is so 90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
Scott, is that you in the video?

Lol....Liked" this comment

Last edited by OBI_agent; 01-02-2014 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #37
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
Thx for sharing this scott26
BTW, is the BMW i8's 6 speed auto transmission going to get a 8/9 speed auto in a midcycle refresh. I can't find where I read this but it seemed logical as 6 speed is so 90's
I'd be surprised if they went to the trouble. They've done a LOT of work getting the system tuned to the 6-speed. Remember that they have two mechanically independent drivetrains, the front-drive, front-engine electric and rear drive, rear engine gas systems working in perfect sync. I'm sure a lot of R&D went into making sure the front and rear tires don't end up with mismatched speeds, and the loss of traction, spin, etc that would result. Not impossible, but with a car that's likely to be a loss-leader halo car to begin with, they might not want to spend more to re-engineer it before the follow-up.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #38
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
I'd be surprised if they went to the trouble. They've done a LOT of work getting the system tuned to the 6-speed. Remember that they have two mechanically independent drivetrains, the front-drive, front-engine electric and rear drive, rear engine gas systems working in perfect sync. I'm sure a lot of R&D went into making sure the front and rear tires don't end up with mismatched speeds, and the loss of traction, spin, etc that would result. Not impossible, but with a car that's likely to be a loss-leader halo car to begin with, they might not want to spend more to re-engineer it before the follow-up.

hmmm....thx for the reply....what you said make sense.......I read a article somewhere about the 9 speed replacing the 6 speed. The article seemed legit as it stated BMW didn't have time to tune the 9 speed with the i8's sophisticated drive train and wouldn't be able to complete it on deadline. Again, what you said makes sense (R &D cost alot of money) but don't be surprised if this happens as it is a halo car and they would want to "show off" the best technology through this car.