07-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #23
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by makdeniss
You guys fail to see the bigger picture here.

First of all, this car is looking great if comapred to the rest of the electric cars (except tesla).

Second: you will be paying zero to nothing for traveling on this car in the city from home - work - home. For me that's superb. We were counting the cost of 100 km charge for the LEAF the other day and it was about 1,5 EUR / 100 km. That's amazing.

In EU we get 60% back of the car's price because we are using the new eco friendly technology.

Parking in the city will be free with this car.

And the most pleasant thing is: when people will start to massively buy these kind of cars, fuel prices will go down.
Nice so let tax everyone else so that you can get 60% off the car, plus all the subsidy for the car and free parking so that the car could be a success.

Not picking on you but this is gov't forcing people into shit they would never buy and doing it by taking it away from the working class in the form of higher taxes.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #24
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk227 View Post
Nice so let tax everyone else so that you can get 60% off the car, plus all the subsidy for the car and free parking so that the car could be a success.

Not picking on you but this is gov't forcing people into shit they would never buy and doing it by taking it away from the working class in the form of higher taxes.
Downtown large cities, with their heavy traffic, and little room, need all the help they can get. An electric car doesn't add any pollution to the mix, at least in the city. Depends on the power plants, but those tend to be better controlled than thousands or maybe millions of internal combustion vehicles often sitting idling and not going anywhere. There's a need for personal transport - for the flexibility that is hard to meet by public transport. Then, consider it often doesn't run 24/7. This type of vehicle would meet 90% of my needs. Once I can actually sit and drive one, I may opt for one and leave the 'normal' vehicle for longer trips.

You need a bigger perspective. Nobody says this is a replacement for everyone, but there are lots of people whose typical vehicle needs are short trips, with a lot of stop and go, where an electric makes lots of sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #25
Crulexis
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i // E92

Rather buy a Tesla Model S
      07-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #26
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL-Fanatik
I thought official pictures are already circulating through the web...

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/bmw-i...s-4294128.html

Cheers,

CSL
That defeats the purpose of a worldwide unveiling. Thanks for link (but couldn't read anything LOL)
      07-28-2013, 12:47 AM   #27
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz26
Quote:
You guys fail to see the bigger picture here.

First of all, this car is looking great if comapred to the rest of the electric cars (except tesla).

Second: you will be paying zero to nothing for traveling on this car in the city from home - work - home. For me that's superb. We were counting the cost of 100 km charge for the LEAF the other day and it was about 1,5 EUR / 100 km. That's amazing.

In EU we get 60% back of the car's price because we are using the new eco friendly technology.

Parking in the city will be free with this car.

And the most pleasant thing is: when people will start to massively buy these kind of cars, fuel prices will go down.
Agree with these comments. I run a 1M but have my name down for an i3 for city use. We might not like it but its the future. Seems a lot of people who post all the negative comments want the past to continue with big heavy cars with lots of electric motors working seats etc rather than embrace new light weight technology such as carbon fibre. BMW has already said i3 technology will work its way into future BMW's. so look forward to 3 cylinder petrol engines, fewer electric toys and lightweight plastic reinforced with carbon fibre. Only way manufacturers will meet emission targets. Some niche products like M3 will get triple turbo 6's but by 2020 they may also be a thing of the past. Sad but reality.
Appreciate your point but in Europe there will be plenty of families who can afford this as a second car. BMW will know this hence the size of their investment in this car. The same will apply in the Far East
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #28
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Sorry but most people dont have the 40k+ to buy a second car just for the city. This is a high luxury. You bring up a good poiint, this car is not a valid alternative to you, it cant replace your sports car, so you have them both. But there are not enough people that can afford that to sustain it. A middle class family of 4 is not going to buy a 45k car, even as primary car just because it is green and fun, and very few people with wealth live primarily in a city without highway travel requirements to see family/travel etc.

I think the failure of the gm volt (electric with gas alternative) is a bad news for BMW, because an expensive electric car is not on the minds of americans. It is fairly expensive! And even though BMW is a sexy brand, it is that way for existing BMW owners, that on the large majority are not interested in this offering.
You have a very US centric thinking. In the EU $45k is not that expensive, I paid almost $80k for my 520d touring with pretty standard equipment. Besides, gas prices are over $8/gallon (US gallon). The EU have over 500 million people, China has over 600 million in urban areas. You do the math for what markets this was constructed...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 03:08 AM   #29
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makdeniss View Post
? In what country is that? Certainly not in all EU countries...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #30
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F20

In the UK we get a £5k reduction on list price ( in the case of the i3, around 15%), no congestion charge where it applies (only London) and free public points charging where available. Having said that, purchase cost still somewhat higher than equivalent 'normal' car. The principal is quite right that zero emitting cars ought to be favoured.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #31
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl
Quote:
Sorry but most people dont have the 40k+ to buy a second car just for the city. This is a high luxury. You bring up a good poiint, this car is not a valid alternative to you, it cant replace your sports car, so you have them both. But there are not enough people that can afford that to sustain it. A middle class family of 4 is not going to buy a 45k car, even as primary car just because it is green and fun, and very few people with wealth live primarily in a city without highway travel requirements to see family/travel etc.

I think the failure of the gm volt (electric with gas alternative) is a bad news for BMW, because an expensive electric car is not on the minds of americans. It is fairly expensive! And even though BMW is a sexy brand, it is that way for existing BMW owners, that on the large majority are not interested in this offering.
You have a very US centric thinking. In the EU $45k is not that expensive, I paid almost $80k for my 520d touring with pretty standard equipment. Besides, gas prices are over $8/gallon (US gallon). The EU have over 500 million people, China has over 600 million in urban areas. You do the math for what markets this was constructed...
+1

I don't honk the i3 is being rolled out for serious penetration into the US market.

Like they said this is a global car. It could work well in large European cities and NA cities.

LA prob not. NY yeah maybe.

Biggest issue will be charging the car in an urban area where no one has a garage.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #32
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
+1

I don't honk the i3 is being rolled out for serious penetration into the US market.

Like they said this is a global car. It could work well in large European cities and NA cities.

LA prob not. NY yeah maybe.

Biggest issue will be charging the car in an urban area where no one has a garage.

How does it not work in LA? The California market is the largest in the us for electric cars and they have the most mature infrastructure built out of anywhere in the country. California will probably account for 15 -20% of all i3's sold in the entire US the first few years.
There is NO infrastructure in NY and most people live in apartments so they have no place to charge. New York isn't ready for plug in cars, I know I drive one here. When I go to LA it's like going to Disneyland seeing EV chargers all over the place. I get what you are saying about NY being perfect for the driving characteristics of the i3, but in reality for the vast majority of people it just doesn't work there - yet. If you live on the East Coast no really need to live in a private home or have an apartment or Condo with a private garage so you can install a wall charger because the public infrastructure just isn't there yet.
      07-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #33
Oliver1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Quote:
Sorry but most people dont have the 40k+ to buy a second car just for the city.
To avoid the fate of other slow-selling electric vehicles, Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (BMW) will offer the new i3 -- a battery-powered compact car -- with a unique option: the use of a sport-utility vehicle.

Customers of BMW’s first electric model can book a conventional auto like the full-sized X5 SUV for several weeks a year for family trips or as a backup. The “add-on mobility” feature, for which BMW hasn’t yet revealed pricing, is part of the manufacturer’s effort to overcome a major concern about electric vehicles, namely getting stuck on the side of the road with a dead battery.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 02:33 AM   #34
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eezzee View Post
In the UK we get a £5k reduction on list price ( in the case of the i3, around 15%), no congestion charge where it applies (only London) and free public points charging where available. Having said that, purchase cost still somewhat higher than equivalent 'normal' car. The principal is quite right that zero emitting cars ought to be favoured.
Yeah, it's similar in Sweden, somewhere between 10 and 15%. I was wondering in what country you would get 60% like the previous post said...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #35
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver1 View Post
To avoid the fate of other slow-selling electric vehicles, Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (BMW) will offer the new i3 -- a battery-powered compact car -- with a unique option: the use of a sport-utility vehicle.

Customers of BMW’s first electric model can book a conventional auto like the full-sized X5 SUV for several weeks a year for family trips or as a backup. The “add-on mobility” feature, for which BMW hasn’t yet revealed pricing, is part of the manufacturer’s effort to overcome a major concern about electric vehicles, namely getting stuck on the side of the road with a dead battery.
Lets just hope that will be available in the european markets as well...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #36
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

That chick in NY had a booooooty..damn
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #37
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

Where's the Hoffmeister kink?

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #38
makdeniss
Lord Vader
Estonia
Rep
Drives: BMW 730Ld

Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl View Post
Yeah, it's similar in Sweden, somewhere between 10 and 15%. I was wondering in what country you would get 60% like the previous post said...
Estonia - it is closer to 60%. This is confirmed.
      07-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #39
makdeniss
Lord Vader
Estonia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk227 View Post

That was always the case wasn't it? I don't want to be an ass, but going against government is not going to get you anywhere.
      07-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #40
makdeniss
Lord Vader
Estonia
Rep

here is the subject http://elmo.ee/incentives/
      08-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #41
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Quote:
here is the subject http://elmo.ee/incentives/" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://elmo.ee/incen...ncentives/</a>
It not going against govt. it that they are forcing this down our throat by taxing everyone that does not comply. When most countries are running such large deficits these vehicles would never stand on there own without the incentives being offered.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0