BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
igu
Swedish Viking
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i8

Charging

I'm not sure if it's me or something not working as it should when it comes to charging.

When I leave it to charge overnight I never seem to be fully charged in the morning. This morning it was even empty, so no eDriving to work.

Maybe there's a setting or something, but am I wrong in my assumption that the car should be kept fully charged as long as the charger is connected (and powered of course)?
      04-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #2
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by igu View Post
I'm not sure if it's me or something not working as it should when it comes to charging.

When I leave it to charge overnight I never seem to be fully charged in the morning. This morning it was even empty, so no eDriving to work.

Maybe there's a setting or something, but am I wrong in my assumption that the car should be kept fully charged as long as the charger is connected (and powered of course)?
Can you give more details? For example are you plugging in the charger that came with the car? Do you have a charging time set? If not it should start charging as soon as you plug in and the ring around the charger port connector lights up to show it.

Also the driver display shows charging status and what time charging will be finished.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 09:10 PM   #3
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Another thing to consider.....did u plug it into the wall or use an extension cord. I have seen charging not working with extension cords or bad sockets. I use my regular 110 socket and it works fine. Of course check your charger, if it doesn't work in any outlet, voila!

Best of luck.....
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #4
EJCi8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, Crystal White

You can also check the bmw i app on your phone that will tell you if its charging and its status; i tried an extension cord and it will charge for about a minute and then state it is unable to charge.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 02:46 AM   #5
igu
Swedish Viking
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i8

Solved!

Update:
This was problem was caused by using an extension cable. For some reason the cable caused to charger to "power off" randomly. Once removed everything seem to function as it should.

Thank you for the ideas!
      04-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by igu View Post
Update:
This was problem was caused by using an extension cable. For some reason the cable caused to charger to "power off" randomly. Once removed everything seem to function as it should.

Thank you for the ideas!
Probably detecting too much resistance from the extension cord and it cut power so it wouldn't catch on fire. Electricity is like water, if the pipe isn't big enough and you apply to much pressure, it's going to burst.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
For those using an extension cord, you need to purchase a Heavy Duty 10-guage (preferably a 25-ft length) outdoor extension cord. Anything less will not work properly.
Appreciate 0