BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

07-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW i3 Unveil to Stream Live on Internet (8:15 AM ET - July 29)

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW i3 Unveil to Stream Live on Internet (8:15 AM ET - July 29)
COMMENTS

Revolution of Urban Mobility. The new BMW i3 - World Premiere to be staged simultaneously in three continents. Board members will reveal the BMW Group’s first all-electric series-produced vehicle in New York, London and Beijing. Live stream on the internet.

Munich. Good morning New York, hello London, wanshang hao Beijing – at 14.30 Central European Time on Monday, 29 July 2013, these greetings will ring out from megacities in the USA, Europe and Asia to mark the unveiling of the BMW i3 to a global audience. The spectacular premiere for this revolutionary vehicle takes place exactly two years after the BMW i3 Concept was presented in Frankfurt on 29 July 2011 prior to the International Motor Show (IAA).

The simultaneous launch in three continents highlights the global approach embodied by the BMW i3 towards resolving urban mobility issues worldwide. This approach is rooted in the holistic idea of a purpose-built vehicle concept boasting a unique design, sustainability throughout the value chain and complementary mobility services. As such, the BMW i3 redefines urban mobility for the present and future, setting benchmarks for sustainability, design, hallmark BMW dynamics and exemplary efficiency. It is the world’s first premium electric vehicle designed from the ground up to be powered by an electric drive system. It is also a world first by virtue of bringing together visionary design, pioneering technology and an innovative vehicle concept that includes a passenger cell made of carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP).

In each of the three metropolises, BMW Group board members will present the BMW i3 in a live transmission, explaining the development history and technology of this innovative model and showing what form a global solution to the challenges of personal mobility could take.

The unveiling will be streamed live on the internet:

14.15 – approx. 16.00 pm CEST:

Live broadcast including a speech by Dr. Norbert Reithofer and the unveiling event of the BMW i3

16.35 – 17.25 pm CEST:

Best of the BMW i3 World Premiere

TV footage, videos and pictures from the event and the live stream can be found at: http://www.live.bmwgroup.com. The live stream will also be available here:

The BMW i3 is the result of an integrated development approach aimed at cutting fuel consumption and emissions in urban traffic. The vehicle concept and drive system were developed entirely in-house by the BMW Group. The 125 kW/170 hp electric motor of the BMW i3 enables locally emission-free driving to a range of between 130 and 160 kilometres (approx. 80 to 100 miles). When it came to the selection of materials and the production processes, exceptionally high standards were likewise achieved in terms of sustainability and conserving resources. The BMW i3 will be presented to the public at large at the International Motor Show in Frankfurt/Main (12 – 22 September 2013).

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
MrClean335i
FBO+Methanol Injection
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

meh
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
CSL-Fanatik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, e46 M3 CSL

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
I thought official pictures are already circulating through the web...

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/bmw-i...s-4294128.html

Cheers,

CSL
      07-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I wonder if my country club will let me use as my golf cart?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Leo88
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E92 325d

it's a little pig!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

No longer excited about this.

It really looks bad without the wide stance of the concept. I'd have to own it in black because it looks stupid otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Pure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i EB , RR Ghost Black D

Hopefully a success of BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

The rear looks all messed up, far worse than the concept. The actual car also seems to ride higher than the concept which is meh...

OTOH, this is good competition model for the new Tesla small car, two years from now on we might be able to see an affordable Tesla with 300 mile range in a much nicer and acceptable package than the i3.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

80-100 mile range is not going to cut it. Look at how the Leaf has done.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

07-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F20

Looks rather promising, especially the interior....the normal lights on the red one appear rather weak, xenons on the silver car much nicer....Deposit already placed, look forward to seeing in the metal at next Thursday's event.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 & E89

Very excited to see the interior. I would love to be an early adopter, however there are a few personal concerns.

- Will there be an M-Sport version with more supportive seats?
- Why the delay for North American launch and an additional delay for ReX model?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
DOA
      07-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5
DOA
      07-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
juicedcubed
Phantom at large
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 m3

ill be in bed not caring.
2008 335i Black Sapphire| Black Interior| Navi| Silver Aluminum Trim |Tint l BMS intake l JB3 l Riss Racing downpipes | Miro Staggered Hyper Silver 19 inch CSL Reps |Nitto 555's ***RIP 2011 335i Jet Black| Red Interior| Bone Stock ***RIP 2013 M3 Space Gray|Carbon Tint| Matte Black Eurotek CSL Wheels| Nokya White Halos| AFE Stage 2 intake| AFE Power Pulley| Reflector Delete|
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #16
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Earth to BMW...Look at how pages a M4 related thread produces vs. an i3 thread.

Announce a Z4M with a S65. See how much interest that gets.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 02:47 AM   #17
MCHL
Private
Rep
Drives: None

BMW still hasn't given up for the halogen lights lol
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 02:52 AM   #18
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #19
makdeniss
Lord Vader
Estonia
Rep
Drives: BMW 730Ld

You guys fail to see the bigger picture here.

First of all, this car is looking great if comapred to the rest of the electric cars (except tesla).

Second: you will be paying zero to nothing for traveling on this car in the city from home - work - home. For me that's superb. We were counting the cost of 100 km charge for the LEAF the other day and it was about 1,5 EUR / 100 km. That's amazing.

In EU we get 60% back of the car's price because we are using the new eco friendly technology.

Parking in the city will be free with this car.

And the most pleasant thing is: when people will start to massively buy these kind of cars, fuel prices will go down.
      07-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #20
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Originally Posted by makdeniss
You guys fail to see the bigger picture here.

First of all, this car is looking great if comapred to the rest of the electric cars (except tesla).

Second: you will be paying zero to nothing for traveling on this car in the city from home - work - home. For me that's superb. We were counting the cost of 100 km charge for the LEAF the other day and it was about 1,5 EUR / 100 km. That's amazing.

In EU we get 60% back of the car's price because we are using the new eco friendly technology.

Parking in the city will be free with this car.

And the most pleasant thing is: when people will start to massively buy these kind of cars, fuel prices will go down.
Agree with these comments. I run a 1M but have my name down for an i3 for city use. We might not like it but its the future. Seems a lot of people who post all the negative comments want the past to continue with big heavy cars with lots of electric motors working seats etc rather than embrace new light weight technology such as carbon fibre. BMW has already said i3 technology will work its way into future BMW's. so look forward to 3 cylinder petrol engines, fewer electric toys and lightweight plastic reinforced with carbon fibre. Only way manufacturers will meet emission targets. Some niche products like M3 will get triple turbo 6's but by 2020 they may also be a thing of the past. Sad but reality.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #21
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz26 View Post
Agree with these comments. I run a 1M but have my name down for an i3 for city use. We might not like it but its the future. Seems a lot of people who post all the negative comments want the past to continue with big heavy cars with lots of electric motors working seats etc rather than embrace new light weight technology such as carbon fibre. BMW has already said i3 technology will work its way into future BMW's. so look forward to 3 cylinder petrol engines, fewer electric toys and lightweight plastic reinforced with carbon fibre. Only way manufacturers will meet emission targets. Some niche products like M3 will get triple turbo 6's but by 2020 they may also be a thing of the past. Sad but reality.
Just remember most everybody here has never driven an electric car let alone owned one. (and I can just hear the legions yelling "and we never will!"). I've been driving electric for 4 years now and I really love it. I'm a car guy too and I want performance and fun in my car or I'm not interested. These cars are fun to drive but don't take my word for it, go and test drive one. Yes, it's a different experience, but different doesn't necessarily mean bad. The instant torque of the electric motor is a blast, you step on it and you are immediately pushed back to you seat, no hesitation at all. It's like you downshifted and stomped on it and it's available all the time. No the i3 isn't an M1, but I think a LOT of people that assume it will be a boring, mundane task to drive one are going to be pleasantly surprised- especially if they upgrade the tires with something that has some grip to them. Sure you'll lose a few miles of range, but it will probably be worth it!
      07-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #22
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz26 View Post
Sorry but most people dont have the 40k+ to buy a second car just for the city. This is a high luxury. You bring up a good poiint, this car is not a valid alternative to you, it cant replace your sports car, so you have them both. But there are not enough people that can afford that to sustain it. A middle class family of 4 is not going to buy a 45k car, even as primary car just because it is green and fun, and very few people with wealth live primarily in a city without highway travel requirements to see family/travel etc.

I think the failure of the gm volt (electric with gas alternative) is a bad news for BMW, because an expensive electric car is not on the minds of americans. It is fairly expensive! And even though BMW is a sexy brand, it is that way for existing BMW owners, that on the large majority are not interested in this offering.
Appreciate 0