BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-03-2023, 01:43 AM   #1
superwoman
Registered
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini Gallardo

Advice about 2015/16/17 i8 purchase

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a 2015/16/17 i8 to replace my aging Bentley Continental GT.

I have few questions for fellow owners if you don't mind:

1. What are some major $$$ common issues? I had to take my engine out($8000 job) in the Bentley to repair a $20 vacuum line. Is there similar level of issue to the i8?

2. What is the serviceability of this car? Any repair/maintenance manual available with parts diagram and diagnostic software? Can minor repair be done easily? Any stupid design decisions that makes a basic task 10 times more difficult?

For example, replacing the headlight requires front wheels and front bumper off in the Bentley...

3. Any difference in the model years and any MY to avoid?

4. Are most parts interchangeable with others BMW models or they are unique to i8?

5. What are your typical annual service cost?

6. Can I daily drive this in snowy condition beside major snowstorm? Can suspension be raised?

7. What items should I check over when I go purchase this car?

Thank you again!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 08:51 AM   #2
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
The i8 is a very complex car and there is very little information in the way of service manuals available. BMW seems to keep all that secret so you are forced to seek any major repairs at a BMW dealer or a service facility that pays to access that information from BMW.
The i8 overall for me has been very reliable with just normal service that is easy to do and I can accomplish myself. My annual service costs have been under $100 for the last 6 years with the exception of an air conditioner compressor that I replaced as a preventative maintenance measure and tires.
Common issues seem to be the air conditioner compressors and fuel tank vapor control sensors on pre LCI cars along with some blown head gaskets which were probably a result of overheating which could get very expensive.
The suspension can’t be raised but some owners install winter tires and drive the car in the snow.

Last edited by Coastali8; 09-03-2023 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 08:42 AM   #3
Budget M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Compared to your Bentley’s annual service costs, the i8’s will be a drop in the bucket. While there is indeed little DIY info out there, basic maintenance like oil changes are very straightforward. They hybrid drivetrain is the only really complex part of the car (including AC and coolant lines which run through it to keep the LiIon batteries cool). It can be expensive to repair in the rare cases where failure is not caught early, but certainly no more expensive than an engine out service in the Bentley. Earlier cars are more susceptible to the AC compressor failure than later cars. Some parts are interchangeable with other BMWs or Minis (remember the motor is a Mini-based 3-cylinder), but there are many that are unique to the i8, too.

Overall, the i8 is pretty reliable. Check battery condition upon purchase—about $200 for the dealer to do this for you—or use the hidden menus to see how many KwH remain after a full charging cycle.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Much of the info you seek can be found by reading and searching this forum and viewing Pat’s Garage channel on YouTube.

Good luck!
'85 M635CSi Alpine w/buffalo; '03 M3 Conv, Imola
‘85 323i Baur; ‘02 X5 4.6is Estoril; ‘95 Racing Dynamics K30.4
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 09:52 AM   #4
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

I am the original owner of a 2014 i8. The maintenance costs are far lower than what you mention. The car still turns heads anywhere I go…..

I have 16,500 miles on it because I store it in the winter - constantly plugged in. Battery is still showing close if not full capacity. I did get aftermarket wheels since the original wheels are a bit narrow.

I will be selling mine because I just got another car. I suggest you shop the seller just as much as the car itself. In my case, I do have all of the maintenance records and have it services at the dealer where I bought it from.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0