United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Bridgestone chosen as exclusive supplier to the i8

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com

Bridgestone chosen as exclusive supplier to the i8

credit: http://www.bridgestonemotorsport.com...lier_to_the_i8

Bridgestone, the world’s largest tyre and rubber manufacturer, is proud to have been chosen by BMW as exclusive tyre supplier for the new BMW i8, BMW’s revolutionary new electric hybrid car. Following hard on the heels of Bridgestone’s selection as exclusive development partner for the electric BMW i3, this latest agreement is further confirmation of the strong, long-term partnership between both automotive pioneering companies, Bridgestone and BMW.

To achieve its true performance potential, Bridgestone developed a tyre for BMW’s revolutionary BMW i8 electric hybrid vehicle, that could match both its efficiency and dynamic handling characteristics. Building on Bridgestone’s strong tradition of safety, performance and efficient design, Bridgestone’s existing Potenza S001 high-performance sports tyre and a specially developed one, were recently approved by BMW for fitment on the i8. Several combinations of summer sizes and patterns have been approved, each linked to a specific tyre specification that is developed to deliver optimum performance out on the road.

The BMW i8 owner will be able to choose between the following sizes:
Front: 195/50 R20 Potenza S001-I 93W XL
Rear: 215/45 R20 Potenza S001-I 95W XL
Front: 215/45 R20 Potenza S001 95W XL
Rear: 245/40 R20 Potenza S001 99W XL

A winter tyre option – Blizzak LM-32 in 215/45 R20 95V XL – is also foreseen.

Jake Rřnsholt, Managing Director of the Consumer Business Unit at Bridgestone Europe commented: “The Potenza S001 has already left its mark on the sports tyre category with its balanced performance resulting in several high-level factory fitments. So it is little wonder that it was chosen to equip the i8, a car which is set to revolutionise its own individual category. Delivering true sports performance while still meeting the strict fuel and energy consumption demands of this landmark vehicle has been a tough but rewarding challenge. And we are proud to have achieved such high recognition in being selected as an exclusive tyre supplier by BMW.”

Bridgestone’s exclusive supplier agreement is just a small part of a long-standing collaboration with BMW both on and off the racing track. Over the past 17 years, that partnership has grown to include a long list of factory fitments, exclusive collaboration with the BMW Driving Experience programme and joint technological developments such as Run-Flat Technology tyres. More recently the exclusive fitment on the i3 electric car and the i8 hybrid respectively combine safety and performance with wet grip and low rolling resistance, demonstrating an extraordinary effort and exclusive collaboration between both companies better contribute to a more sustainable society.

For more information about the Bridgestone Potenza S001 high-performance sports tyre, please visit: http://www.bridgestone.co.uk/auto/ranges/potenza/s001/
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Guess I better figure out how to get a spare front and rear tire for the inevitable first puncture since I doubt they will carry these at Costco or your local tire shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The i8 is likely going to be the same as the i3 - BMWUSA supplies their 'mobility kit', which contains a canister of goop and a compressor to insert it into the flat tire. It's supposed to work with smaller punctures. Neither the i3 nor the i8 come with a jack or tools to remove a wheel, nor do they come with RFT or a spare. I hope that I never need to use mine!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

In UK, I can confirm that both i3 and i8 only come with the compressed can of tyre repair compound. Of course, once you use it, the tyre is beyond repair.

This is becoming very common now, in the bid to save space and weight.

Great to see BMW using softer rubber on the i8 though.

Does anyone of even softer tyres, perhaps cut slicks type, that would fit the wheels? I would consider those when the tyres need replacing. More grip never hurt anyone
Appreciate 0