03-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #45
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Master View Post
Great concept, freakin expensive and a nightmare to own when warranty runs out. All those extra mpg fuel saved would be erased after one dealer visit out of warranty. The depreciation on this car will likely be outrageous. Its great if u want something unique and its a head turner for sure. However by no stretch of the imagination a wise choice
I calculate that you could buy a $60K C7 Corvette AND drive it 427,000 miles for the value of the fuel cost between the price of the 'Vette and the price of the i8.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-30-2014 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #46
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Great concept, freakin expensive and a nightmare to own when warranty runs out. All those extra mpg fuel saved would be erased after one dealer visit out of warranty. The depreciation on this car will likely be outrageous. Its great if u want something unique and its a head turner for sure. However by no stretch of the imagination a wise choice
Well, I'd better cancel my order since you've obviously got a firm grip on the future. I'm sure the F10 M5 and F30 M3 will be maintenance free with all the extra turbo maintenance, gaskets, and carbon buildup every 60k miles you have to open the head for, etc. Nevermind that the electric half of the drivetrain requires no oil changes, routine maintenance, etc. And working on the engine will be no more impossible than it is on a Boxster/Cayman. You sound like this one guy on mbworld that expected SLS prices to be sub-$100k at this point because other Mercedes depreciate like that (prices are appreciating from bottoming out at $140-150k on good examples). Don't apply the depreciation logic of sporty versions of mass production models to bespoke standalone models. And keep coming back to a forum to post nonsense about a car you have no interest in.

Last edited by Carac; 03-30-2014 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #47
Drift Master
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac
Quote:
Well, I'd better cancel my order since you've obviously got a firm grip on the future. I'm sure the F10 M5 and F30 M3 will be maintenance free with all the extra turbo maintenance, gaskets, and carbon buildup every 60k miles you have to open the head for, etc. Nevermind that the electric half of the drivetrain requires no oil changes, routine maintenance, etc. And working on the engine will be no more impossible than it is on a Boxster/Cayman. You sound like this one guy on mbworld that expected SLS prices to be sub-$100k at this point because other Mercedes depreciate like that (prices are appreciating from bottoming out at $140-150k on good examples). Don't apply the depreciation logic of sporty versions of mass production models to bespoke standalone models. And keep coming back to a forum to post nonsense about a car you have no interest in.
Congrats on the order and hope you enjoy everything about it. Its a great move to the future no doubt. Hybrid sport cars are the future i think as they electric instant power With the petrol engine should be an awesome combination combined with low weight carbon fiber body. Performance for dollars and calculating the price of gas you save at the price sticker now makes no sense to me. I am sure the next M car should have this killer combo. The prices will drop in the future where it will start to make sense to me. If you have the money and willing to spend it on such an investment than more power to you. For some of us we still don't see it as a wise choice considering what else is available now on the market.
Appreciate 0