jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Why are we arguing anyways?
This is a gadget, not a daily necessity where you think about #of seats and horsey powah.
This is like a solar iphone dock that takes 10 hours to charge your iphone but still looks hella cool when you go on a camping with your dirty dozen.
If you have to talk about seats you are missing, sub 5 sec 0-60mile figure, this clearly is not something for you, so don't even start.
You are essentially buying a expensive gadget that you can brag about new technology in a bat mobile status.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #24
EyeSky
Private
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 14 BMW 435i

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...thin-year.html

Assuming this happens, how about this for comparison? I've seen a few around LA and in person they look stunning IMO
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #25
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by owerr View Post
The point was that there's actually a full electric sedan that's faster than this thing, at a much lower price.
Then...you totally bought a wrong car for your own...
There are many other cars that are faster, more powerful than your overpriced troublesome German car at almost half the price.

Let's not compare kiwis to papayas anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #26
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSky View Post
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...thin-year.html

Assuming this happens, how about this for comparison? I've seen a few around LA and in person they look stunning IMO
I think this would be a great car to compare with the Tesla Model S.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #27
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by owerr View Post
The point was that there's actually a full electric sedan that's faster than this thing, at a much lower price.
From someone buying the first i8 coming to his dealership

-Full Electric - don't care, I regularly make trips of 300-400 miles so having a gas engine is a pro not a con. I like refueling in 3-4 minutes. The nearest supercharger station is over 300 miles away.

-Sedan - no thanks

-"much lower?" $100k-ish vs $135k for a family sedan vs sports coupe that looks like the future

Not everyone wants a Tesla just like everyone doesn't want a 911 when they go shopping for a sports car.

Last edited by Carac; 02-24-2014 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #28
Agni
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Gran Coupe

Garage List
2009 335xi  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcius13 View Post
Well wait until you add options to the i8. My price comparison is sticker vs. sticker ($85k vs. $135k). Let's wait until the options of the i8 become available before you throw any stones at me.

What I meant about room is practicality. Tesla P85 looks great and drives like a sport sedan and IMO is a much better purchase than the i8. That is the reason for example I bought a M3 E90 and not a 911. I believe Tesla and BMW are in the same league as oppose to SRT8 and 911. Talking about kiwis and papayas
The i8 is a near exotic sports car. The Tesla is a full size sedan...
They are not even in the same class. Most people who can buy an i8 can probably also afford a Tesla in addition to it. If they don't already have one..or a 7er or S class.

i8 is a weekend toy to add to your stable.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #29
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Back to the topic of delivery. Just got an email from my dealer saying they got their sales literature, financing info, subsidized costs and installation of garage chargers, etc for the i3 and i8 this week. Trying to see what he's allowed to tell me.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #30
barcius13
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
The Tesla P85 has been said to be (infinitesimally) faster 0-60 than an M5. At higher speeds the M5 destroys it. Also I haven't seen anyone touting how the Tesla handles so great and is a hard-core track car. Maybe I missed those articles...

The i8 performance has been stated by BMW to be faster/better than the E92 M3. Looking at full picture of the numbers, i.e., power-to-weight, 0-60, etc., it is very similar and close to the R8 V8, as well. This car is hardly under-powered.

Also my other pet peeve with the arguments against the i8:

Why is everyone hung up on how many people can fit in a sports car? If you need that much space, buy a Sprinter van or a GL550.

I've never heard anyone say, "That 911 / GT-R / M6 / TTRS / etc. can't fit 5 people, what a piece of crap" - but there are so many comments about the i8's lack of being able to carry lots of passengers it's absurd. Maybe these people are secretly waiting for the i8 Gran Coupe to come out?

Please consider, people who want a 2 door sports car ... don't give 2 shits about carrying 5 people anywhere. And if they do, they have other cars that can handle that task better than a Tesla or an i8!
I know you are trying to convince yourself the i8 makes sense because you are leasing one, but what in your opinion is the purpose of this car? Since I understand you prentend people don't shop different car segments, but they do, what is your argument in favor of the i8? If you want a 2-seater that tracks or goes faster for less money you can have it. If you want to have more praticality and go faster...surprise you have better options too...if you want to save more fuel and go faster...surprise options here too. I guess whatever car is made people will buy (hello GM Aztec), but I do not see the point especially at this price point. I guess we have to agree to disagree
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #31
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac
Back to the topic of delivery. Just got an email from my dealer saying they got their sales literature, financing info, subsidized costs and installation of garage chargers, etc for the i3 and i8 this week. Trying to see what he's allowed to tell me.
Please share what you find out, that would be valuable information in this thread

BMW is providing the market with another option and we'll see how the market will embrace this offer. Most people think that it looks pretty cool, and it will be a somewhat exclusive car with new technology. If we can afford it and like it, we will buy it. I sat in the car and had quite some time with it recently and it is not a practical car like a sedan or tesla. It has 2 small seats in the back which are usable if you have children, which sadly a GT3 does not have for example, or many other offerings in this segment. Some of us have a need for an occasional back seat........the trunk can hold some backpacks or small sports equipment too!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #32
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know you are trying to convince yourself the i8 makes sense because you are leasing one, but what in your opinion is the purpose of this car? Since I understand you prentend people don't shop different car segments, but they do, what is your argument in favor of the i8? If you want a 2-seater that tracks or goes faster for less money you can have it. If you want to have more praticality and go faster...surprise you have better options too...if you want to save more fuel and go faster...surprise options here too. I guess whatever car is made people will buy (hello GM Aztec), but I do not see the point especially at this price point. I guess we have to agree to disagree
Interesting choice of words there.

Purpose of this car, for me, is a sports car with usable everyday performance, high tech gadgetry, bonus of excellent fuel economy and ability to run electric only for running quick errands, with a design like no other car which (to me) speaks to the emotions and looks like something out of Star Trek. That in itself is enough argument for the i8, for me.

People may cross shop segments but they still compare apples to apples. Before I got my X6M, I looked at a Panamera GTS, 7-series, 6-series, and even the M3. Clearly, a few different segments. However, I didn't fault the M3 or 6-series for their lack of doors, or the others for not having a convertible roof; I chose my needs and bought the car that fit those needs (carry kids and stuff) and wants (looks/design, performance).

With this car, I have no needs. I just love the car and everything about it. None of the reasons you stated even come into play in my decision to buy an i8. It's a dream car I've wanted since the concept first came out. I would compare buying an i8 to buying an R8, SLS, or a Ferrari.

No one really needs one, and arguments can be made even in the performance and less cost segment against those cars, as well - think GT-R. I will still rather have a Ferrari over a GT-R, even if it's slower and costs 3x as much.

It's the car I dreamed of as a little kid when I thought of what the cars in the future would look like.

I will be keeping the X6M, so making sense isn't something I worry about when thinking about the i8...

Based on your logic, you would never buy any BMW in the first place. There are always going to be cars that go faster, cost less, carry more people, be more practical etc... I guess that's why minivans are so popular, they are very practical.

Let's consider this side-topic thread-jack closed.

Last edited by ddk632; 02-24-2014 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #33
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Thanks, keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
Please share what you find out, that would be valuable information in this thread
To all not bickering: Sorry about the bickering; the same arguments get old and I usually keep quiet. Will go back to doing that
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #34
barcius13
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post

With this car, I have no needs. I just love the car and everything about it.
No one really needs one. It's the car I dreamed of as a little kid when I thought of what the cars in the future would look like.
Just summarized everything you said in one sentece. Hope you like it.

I guess we are very different people with different needs and dreams. Cheers and good luck with the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #35
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Lol that did sum it up quite nicely!

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #36
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Personally, I love the spirited debate as long as it stays respectful (and doesn't carry on too long, which this one probably has).

Carac, also am curious to know if your dealer has any idea when ordering info will be available.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #37
stevejiange92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M-Sport Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Almost twice as much? Ever build a P85 S+? Well over $100k. Most I have seen are about $110k.

Twice as much. Not quite.

Your comparison is also quite flawed. By your margin, a Porsche 911 should be terrible deal compared to a 300 SRT8. After all, less HP and less room for more $$, right

That's not even apples and oranges, it's kiwis and papayas.
Like!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #38
nlpamg
MBWorld Spy
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, F8 Tributo, GR Supra

I'm wondering what the lease numbers will look like on this.

Time to participate in the douchey signature blocks
Current: 2023 BMW M4 CSL, 2021 Ferrari F8 Tributo, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Notable Past: 2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre, 2019 Porsche GT3 RS, 2018 Porsche GT3, 2015 Porsche GT3, 2012 Nissan GT-R Black Edition Alpha 6+, 2008 BMW M5 Dinan, 2006 BMW M3, 2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 09:07 PM   #39
Z8chP
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 330cic zhp

Can't wait to see them on the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #40
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Kiwis and papayas hahaha

Love this car cant wait to see it on the road. 135k seems fair
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #41
reechar
Poorhouse
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

For me, the i8 will be the 3rd car in my stable. I'm planning on it being my DD.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #42
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Finally a standard equipment and options layout.

Moving to a new thread
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #43
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm sorry, as I know it sounds rude, but that has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard around here in awhile, and quite hypocritical to post as a BMW owner. You can swap out 'i8' with 'BMW' and it works too, or hell, it works better swapping in the M3. There are ALWAYS cheaper options, always more practical options, always faster options, for less money.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #44
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agni View Post
The i8 is a near exotic sports car. The Tesla is a full size sedan...
They are not even in the same class. Most people who can buy an i8 can probably also afford a Tesla in addition to it. If they don't already have one..or a 7er or S class.

i8 is a weekend toy to add to your stable.
?? It's not much of a weekend toy if your weekend 'toy' is slower than your daily driver. The only advantages this thing may have over the Tesla is weight and slightly better looks.

Quote:
+1 .. just doesn't make sense on any front, other than you want to be an early adopter of a good looking electric vehicle. Only reason to get it is its relative exclusivity (in the electrical car world at least).. but again, there are better options ..

Presumably you would be running in hybrid mode all the time, but the car tops out at 55mph in electric only mode with an electric only range of 18 miles. Which is pretty poor compared to other competitors which get far better figures, and are faster without gasoline assist, and they are full time electric (if you want to come from this in an environmental debate).

To quote two early peeks (I know, may be fixed in the final car, but): "The i8’s steering is precise and well weighted but lacks much feedback or feel, at least in this prototype" "car feels agile and responsive, but it’s not blessed with an abundance of grip" " from a pure performance-per-dollar perspective, the i8 won’t be able to touch a C7 Corvette Stingray or even a Porsche 911"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
If you have to talk about seats you are missing, sub 5 sec 0-60mile figure, this clearly is not something for you, so don't even start.
You are essentially buying a expensive gadget that you can brag about new technology in a bat mobile status.
Except that, as has already been pointed out, its already behind Tesla in terms of tech.. just look at the interior. If you are going to make a tech electrical car that pushes boundaries, why are you using that tiny Nav screen? Is it running BMWs "cutting edge" multimedia system or an actual operating system? Can it be tweaked or reprogrammed over wifi if things need to be changed with the car?

Looks and lower weight is all it has. It is already eclipsed in every other regard by other electric competitors before its release even.

Last edited by absoluteis350; 02-28-2014 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0