BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

10-27-2023, 07:18 AM   #1
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: i20

Upgrading iDrive screen to 10.25"

For my i3 (2016, 60Ah, software: 21-03) I've bought a big screen 10.25". Installed it, did the coding:
  1. HU_NBT > 3000 HMI > DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION = 10.25_1280x480
  2. HU_NBT > 3001 EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE = breites_display

And this is the result:

Missing 1/3 of the screen on the right side. The resolution is correct, only the right parts stays empty / black.

When I connect a MMI-box, the full screen is working correctly (at the moment I've disconnected the MMI-box, because I want the screen working first).

Does anyone of you recognize this problem and know what to do?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 09:03 PM   #2
bagd0003
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3, 2020 BMW X5

Your settings are correct, I've used the same ones where don't have this issue. It looks like you might have a split screen enabled with nothing selected for the right side of the screen. Maybe check on that
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 01:32 PM   #3
bagd0003
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepppie View Post
For my i3 (2016, 60Ah, software: 21-03) I've bought a big screen 10.25". Installed it, did the coding:

HU_NBT > 3000 HMI > DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION = 10.25_1280x480
HU_NBT > 3001 EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE = breites_display

And this is the result:

Missing 1/3 of the screen on the right side. The resolution is correct, only the right parts stays empty / black.

When I connect a MMI-box, the full screen is working correctly (at the moment I've disconnected the MMI-box, because I want the screen working first).

Does anyone of you recognize this problem and know what to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagd0003 View Post
Your settings are correct, I've used the same ones where don't have this issue. It looks like you might have a split screen enabled with nothing selected for the right side of the screen. Maybe check on that
Actually having a closer look at the picture, it does look like that third of picture is missing completely. Have you tried restarting the headunit? And, without the MMI, e the connection is straight from the headunit to the screen?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 02:28 AM   #4
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Actually having a closer look at the picture, it does look like that third of picture is missing completely. Have you tried restarting the headunit? And, without the MMI, e the connection is straight from the headunit to the screen?
Yes, straight from the HU to the screen, OEM-cables, etc (full OEM-setup, no modifications). Just don't get the right 1/3 part of the screen..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 07:17 AM   #5
bagd0003
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, straight from the HU to the screen, OEM-cables, etc (full OEM-setup, no modifications). Just don't get the right 1/3 part of the screen..
Is it an OEM screen as well? Part number suitable for your car's model year?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 09:51 AM   #6
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Is it an OEM screen as well? Part number suitable for your car's model year?
Yes, it is the correct OEM-part!

Do you know if BMW 'fixed' something in an iLevel-update? Mine has the 21-03 iLevel version.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 10:54 AM   #7
bagd0003
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it is the correct OEM-part!

Do you know if BMW 'fixed' something in an iLevel-update? Mine has the 21-03 iLevel version.
I don't know that, but I think it's possible if the software version of is the screen is at a different level than a headunit, things might not function correctly
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 01:53 AM   #8
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
I don't know that, but I think it's possible if the software version of is the screen is at a different level than a headunit, things might not function correctly
I meant that I was wondering if BMW may have blocked the option to upgrade the screen in a more recent version of the iLevels.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 09:14 PM   #9
bagd0003
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I meant that I was wondering if BMW may have blocked the option to upgrade the screen in a more recent version of the iLevels.
I don't know, but wouldn't think of a reason why they'd do that
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 12:14 AM   #10
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
I was reading this post again; does the screen has its own CAF? If so, I might try to update the whole iLevel.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 08:56 AM   #11
bagd0003
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm not sure, but could be worth updating and see what happens.
Appreciate 1
Pepppie82.50
      11-18-2023, 10:18 AM   #12
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Made some progress today. I think there's nothing wrong with the screen or the cables. In ISTA I've did the full car diagnosis scan and did the 'component triggering' for the screen. It did display all the colors correctly and also the 'no-signal test screen' (centered correctly as well.

Seems like this is all right, but still iDrive (all the menu's including the navigation) displays only the left 2/3rd of the screen.

At the moment I'm downloading the full PSdZData (v4.44.11) to do the full iLevel flash (think this is 2307 or 2303). Hope that if I flash everything, it might do something, but don't think it will do much since ISTA is able to display the full screen in test-mode.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 10:43 AM   #13
bagd0003
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Made some progress today. I think there's nothing wrong with the screen or the cables. In ISTA I've did the full car diagnosis scan and did the 'component triggering' for the screen. It did display all the colors correctly and also the 'no-signal test screen' (centered correctly as well.

Seems like this is all right, but still iDrive (all the menu's including the navigation) displays only the left 2/3rd of the screen.

At the moment I'm downloading the full PSdZData (v4.44.11) to do the full iLevel flash (think this is 2307 or 2303). Hope that if I flash everything, it might do something, but don't think it will do much since ISTA is able to display the full screen in test-mode.

Keep us posted!
I'm curious if it'd be worth for me to update the software in my i3. It hasn't been touched in 5+ years.
Appreciate 1
Pepppie82.50
      12-06-2023, 11:25 PM   #14
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Yesterday I was able to get the coding done with eSys and the screen is working perfectly! The proces was; put the 2 settings back to default (small screen, low resolution) with Bimmercode, connect eSys and change the 2 rules in the HU-caf.

So the magic touch was; use eSys for the coding and not Bimmercode. On another forum I found out that that was the problem. Works like a charm now!

Only problem now is that the navigation stays on the loading / booting screen. Even after closing the car and keep it closed for hours. Will try an ISTA diagnosis this weekend if it doesn’t start up correctly.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 02:39 PM   #15
GPVG39
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 I3s BEV, 2007 Yaris TS

Quote:
Hi, yes, in the 2018 model year and newer, there is no way to just upgrade the screen alone. They also changed the manufacture of the screen, so the only way to change it in newer models is to actually change the whole system. You need the screen from bmw only, or a crashed bmw, the headunit that goes under the seat, and the controller. All this needs to be coded to your car (vin number) in order to work, and it needs to preferably be the same year car parts as well, or newer.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 02:15 AM   #16
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPVG39 View Post
Hi, yes, in the 2018 model year and newer, there is no way to just upgrade the screen alone. They also changed the manufacture of the screen, so the only way to change it in newer models is to actually change the whole system. You need the screen from bmw only, or a crashed bmw, the headunit that goes under the seat, and the controller. All this needs to be coded to your car (vin number) in order to work, and it needs to preferably be the same year car parts as well, or newer.
That's not what I meant; since 2018 they put a total different iDrive in the i3. I was wondering if the blocked upgrading the ENTRYNAV (so prior 2018 i3's) in more recent iLevel-updates, but that wasn't the issue.

As I wrote; you have to use eSys in stead of any other tool to do the coding. Else it doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 10:06 AM   #17
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Ok, so:

1. The screen is working perfect
2. iDrive is working perfect and smooth

The only problem is; the navigation (ENTRYNAV) keeps showing its booting screen. This is now for a month. In that period I've tried a lot of thing;

- rebooting iDrive (holding the volume for 30 seconds)
- remove the battery (- pole)
- completely reset iDrive
- upgrade iDrive to a later version (to 2307 successful)
- car not used for 10 days during our holiday

I've checked a lot of websites and forums and I think it has something to do with the maps. The previous owner used a 'lifetime FSC' to upgrade the map and I've read a few times that that will sometimes end up in a continuos booting loop.

Removing the map-data (with Tool32) might be an option. I got Tool32, but have totally no clue wat to do. Can anyone help?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 06:53 PM   #18
dbadajoz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3s

Update

Do you have a current update? I have not had success acquiring the app you have suggested. I possibly have the wrong link. Would you provide it once more? Thanks in advance

db
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 01:38 PM   #19
bmwf2x
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F20

When you flash the HU and the head unit is equipped with an aftermarket lifetime FSC set 'patch', all FSC certificates in the head unit will be lost and 'rejected'. As a result, navigation no longer starts. You can use an OEM repair pack to restore the original FSC certificates or repatch the headunit with a lifetime FSC set.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 07:18 AM   #20
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf2x View Post
When you flash the HU and the head unit is equipped with an aftermarket lifetime FSC set 'patch', all FSC certificates in the head unit will be lost and 'rejected'. As a result, navigation no longer starts. You can use an OEM repair pack to restore the original FSC certificates or repatch the headunit with a lifetime FSC set.
I called the previous owner; indeed he used a 'lifetime FSC' for the maps. So thank you for this info, it helped me to detect the source of the problem

Now the fix (also thanks for that), but how do you repatch the HU? I can buy an navigation update online (ConnectDrive store), create the USB drive, but (since the navigation is not loading) the HU will not detect the map-update (on the USB stick). How to get the original map-update (with an official FSC) on to the HU?

Hope there is another way to do it!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 06:39 AM   #21
bmwf2x
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F20

What system do you have? You can send me VIN in a PM.

I can help you with OEM FSC set (repair kit). You will need to load them with Esys.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 08:43 AM   #22
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf2x View Post
What system do you have? You can send me VIN in a PM.

I can help you with OEM FSC set (repair kit). You will need to load them with Esys.
See DM
Appreciate 0