BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

06-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

setting departure time?

New i3 owner (one week today). So experienced i3 owners - is there any true reason to "set departure time"? I don't get why or how that would improve range performance. I'm about to enjoy some time off, but when I'm working I leave the house between 5:30-45am. Why should I set that? And if I do, would it matter that on the weekend, I most def do NOT leave the house at that time?

Thanks for any insight.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 01:38 AM   #2
reductase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i M sport

Garage List
2013 335i  [0.00]
The benefit to set departure times is for using grid power to pre condition the car and get you started at your desired temperature. Otherwise you start driving at environment conditions baseline and the air conditioning or heater is working to reach your set temperature, putting load on the battery. If you can avoid that initial conditioning you save battery for range.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
UNivek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by reductase View Post
The benefit to set departure times is for using grid power to pre condition the car and get you started at your desired temperature. Otherwise you start driving at environment conditions baseline and the air conditioning or heater is working to reach your set temperature, putting load on the battery. If you can avoid that initial conditioning you save battery for range.
What's said above for increased efficiency. Especially if you live in areas where temperature in where the car is parked gets below 0 (degrees). i.e. in a heated garage, may be less of an issue.

It is also a nice treat to walk into a nicely cooled car in the heat of summer / or winter even when you parked outside. But if you pre-condition while not plugged in, there may be a tradeoff of how much range you lose vs. gaining that comfort and efficiency.

Lastly, I think this is simply bad implementation, but you can not set a low cost time to charge unless you have departure time set!

Last edited by UNivek; 06-23-2017 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep

Thanks. Well, I live in Redondo Beach, a few miles from the Pacific in greater LA. So it is very rare that I get in the car at home and think "I wish it were warmer/cooler." But it can happen in other circumstances, so I'll keep that it mind. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
VacMan1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3, 2015 Msport X1

If you set a departure times you can set when you want the car to start charging using the delayed charging feature. I set my car to start charging at midnight since I have a Time of Use plan through SCE.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep

I have the Siemens plug-in which has an easy set delay - 2, 4, 6 or 8 hours. I go on the TOU plan as of July 7. SCE estimated I'd have saved 7% over the last year if I'd been on it before even buying the i3...so should be even more economical now that I have it (the i3).
Appreciate 0