BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

07-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Questions before buying

Hello all. I am in the final stages of shopping for a BMW i3 REX and had a few brief questions. I was hoping someone could shed some light.

1. Once the electric range has been depleted, how does the car drive? In other words, does it enter some sort of limp mode where the power is significantly diminished or is it still mostly functional for communting purposes?

2. Does the automatic transmission function similar to a CVT or more like BMWs ZF8 transmission?

3. Is there any degree of discomfort with these new seats or do they feel similar to a three series or even X1 BMW seating?

4. What model year i3 started incorporating Apple CarPlay?

5. Would you characterize the advertised mileage range figures as accurate, or do you really have to baby the car in order to achieve these values ? I would characterize my driving as somewhat aggressive in regards to acceleration and highway cruising speeds so I am unsure if these quoted mileage range figures would apply to my driving.

Thank you very much in advance. This is will be very helpful in formulating my final decision.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #2
VacMan1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3, 2015 Msport X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Hello all. I am in the final stages of shopping for a BMW i3 REX and had a few brief questions. I was hoping someone could shed some light.

1. Once the electric range has been depleted, how does the car drive? In other words, does it enter some sort of limp mode where the power is significantly diminished or is it still mostly functional for communting purposes? Other than a slight hum and an indicator on the dash, you'd never know it was running. I've driven 80mph for 30 miles on the REX on mostly flat roads with no issues, but I have also pinned it while doing 70 up the grapevine with the rex running and gotten a warning about possible power loss. The rex is just a scooter motor spinning a generator, so as long as you don't overwhelm the charging rate you'll have no issues. You can always reprogram your car to move the rex kick-in even higher than 6% remaining.

2. Does the automatic transmission function similar to a CVT or more like BMWs ZF8 transmission? It functions exactly like any other one speed vehicle you've ever driven. Give it gas to go, let off to slow down. It's an electric motor...there's no magic to it. 100% torque at 0 rpms gives it a nice punch around town. Think of a golf cart, only much quicker.

3. Is there any degree of discomfort with these new seats or do they feel similar to a three series or even X1 BMW seating? They're nothing like the sports seats in my wife's x1, but they're all day comfortable to me. Manual adjustments.

4. What model year i3 started incorporating Apple CarPlay? No idea. I have an Android. BMW's NAV and Pandora app are crap, even on my wife's 2015 with the Tech pack. I just use bluetooth and google maps/Pandora.

5. Would you characterize the advertised mileage range figures as accurate, or do you really have to baby the car in order to achieve these values ? I would characterize my driving as somewhat aggressive in regards to acceleration and highway cruising speeds so I am unsure if these quoted mileage range figures would apply to my driving.

Freeway driving will have way more impact on your range than acceleration will. I routinely drive 104 miles from Temecula to the Gelson's on the 101 and 405 without stopping, all freeway around 75mph (the last 10 miles is typically much slower thanks to the 134.) My car will say 115-120 miles of electric range when I start, and I typically arrive with 10-15 miles to spare.

If I had done 75mph the entire time, I'd be running on the REX by the time I got there. If I do 80+ mph, I'll never make it without the REX kicking in. I can do the same distance over Ortega highway (average speed with traffic, 45mph) and get into south OC with 70 miles of range left.

I should mention I always, always use Eco Pro. I have the speed limiter set to 80 and have gotten to where I rarely hit it. 75mph keeps up with traffic without issue. The real sweet spot for range is probably 55-60mph, but I'd rather just spend a few more minutes charging. It's free, after all.

Thank you very much in advance. This is will be very helpful in formulating my final decision.
When I got mine I got the REX for the safety net. Now with what I know about Level 3 charging (free for the first 2 years) I would have skipped the REX. I still have about 1 gallon of the original 2.5 in my car from January, and my car already has 6800 miles on it. The carpool stickers alone are worth their weight in myrrh.

Last edited by VacMan1; 07-09-2017 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2017, 02:10 AM   #3
diopter
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV

No Carplay

The i3 does not support Carplay.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #4
UNivek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4

Quote:
1. Once the electric range has been depleted, how does the car drive? In other words, does it enter some sort of limp mode where the power is significantly diminished or is it still mostly functional for communting purposes?
KY: If it is the BEV (full electric, it simply dies without limp mode from what I've read). For REX, please refer to this

Quote:
2. Does the automatic transmission function similar to a CVT or more like BMWs ZF8 transmission?
KY: Neither, you never feel the shift. It just goes. I came from an E90 M3 and feels like you're just driving on 1st/2nd gear all the time (below 40mph) with instant torque response. There is the regen-breaking you'd have to get use to which means the min you let go the gas, the car would start to brake. But there is a nice middle spot where you can hold enough gas to keep it at coast.

Quote:
3. Is there any degree of discomfort with these new seats or do they feel similar to a three series or even X1 BMW seating?
KY: Feels better than normal 3, but definitely not as boosted on the side as M. Not as comfy as a 5.

Quote:
4. What model year i3 started incorporating Apple CarPlay?
KY: Addressed by someone else. no. (perhaps 2018 with iDrive 6?)

Quote:
KY: Much like ICE cars, depends on how you drive. I average 18.6 kWh/100km while i3 community is at 15.4. But I tend to floor it a lot. : ) Also, opposite to ICE cars, EV is much more efficient in local compared to highway. And if you live in places that gets cold/snow. Range is about 20% less in those days.
Appreciate 2
jmg18658.50
      07-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #5
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNivek View Post
KY: If it is the BEV (full electric, it simply dies without limp mode from what I've read). For REX, please refer to this

KY: Feels better than normal 3, but definitely not as boosted on the side as M. Not as comfy as a 5.

KY: Addressed by someone else. no. (perhaps 2018 with iDrive 6?)
Thank you for the very thorough response!! I really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacMan1 View Post
When I got mine I got the REX for the safety net. Now with what I know about Level 3 charging (free for the first 2 years) I would have skipped the REX. I still have about 1 gallon of the original 2.5 in my car from January, and my car already has 6800 miles on it. The carpool stickers alone are worth their weight in myrrh.
Thank you so much!! Your input helped me a lot as well!!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #7
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

I have a deposit on a Tesla model 3, for mid 2018 delivery!!! Lol!! It's just really to hold a spot in line for the model 3, while I have more time to evaluate the all electric BMW's 3 series offering.

The i3 leases are 24months from what I understand, so that may be a bit too long for me. At the same time I would prefer not to buy a "newer" i3, which has yet to depreciate.

I found a few lightly used 2014 models, at a roughly 50% discount to the original sticker so I will likely go with one of those.

Any issues on the 2014's??? Aside from the warranty running out? I am assuming they can be CPO'd as any other BMW, if need be. Correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #8
reductase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i M sport

Garage List
2013 335i  [0.00]
I'm very happy with my 2014 Rex and very thankful that it's CPO. The scheduled services are minimal, haven't actually needed anything maintenance other than the air filter in 33k miles.... however I wouldn't buy this without BMW warranties.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 12:17 AM   #9
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I found a few lightly used 2014 models, at a roughly 50% discount to the original sticker so I will likely go with one of those.

Any issues on the 2014's??? Aside from the warranty running out?
Numerous.
I had one (MY'14 REX), and it was a borderline lemon.
REX engine was easily 65% of the trouble, but here were numerous other electrical and sensor issues with the car. I had put more than 3K miles on loaners, in total! I'm thrilled I ditched it as a lease return earlier this year.

Watch out if you are considering a MG/SG '14 REX with ~26K miles ...

Quote:
I am assuming they can be CPO'd as any other BMW, if need be. Correct?
Yes.

a
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 01:22 AM   #10
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by diopter View Post
2018 will have CarPlay, but I'm against CarPlay and any other player systems that works while driving. It only takes a second to kill when you take your eyes off the road ahead.
      07-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #11
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by diopter
2018 will have CarPlay,
Do you have any references to published sources that support this assessment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
but I'm against CarPlay and any other player systems that works while driving.
Charming.
I trust you have removed the radios and CD players from all your cars?

Never mind the Nav screens - they are coming to get you !

a
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 01:16 AM   #12
Ggluck3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x5 M sport

Quote:
I have a deposit on a Tesla model 3, for mid 2018 delivery!!! Lol!! It's just really to hold a spot in line for the model 3, while I have more time to evaluate the all electric BMW's 3 series offering.

The i3 leases are 24months from what I understand, so that may be a bit too long for me. At the same time I would prefer not to buy a "newer" i3, which has yet to depreciate.

Any issues on the 2014's??? Aside from the warranty running out? I am assuming they can be CPO'd as any other BMW, if need be. Correct?
Quote:

This is exactly what my wife just did while we wait for the model 3 tesla yeah we did a 30 month lease on a brand new i3 we love he things and I guess if the model 3 actually shows up on time then we will address the extra time left on the lease then
Appreciate 0