BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

05-03-2018, 04:37 PM   #45
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
Only its not supercar price, about £50000 less than a Lambo or Ferrari and £15000 less than an R8 or the new V8 Vantage or the NSX

Cheapest way to get supercar looks that's for sure and costs a significant amount less to run than any of the aforementioned.
...and much less to MAINTAIN! (I expect...)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #46
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
...and much less to MAINTAIN! (I expect...)
Well in the UK it comes with 3 yrs servicing included, road tax (for mine anyway) is nothing, insurance is cheap and the extended warranty when needed is around £1k/year, so yep.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 06:32 PM   #47
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Additional stiffening was only needed for the Roadster.

All it achieves in the Coupe is extra weight. They only added it to simplify production.

Laser lights were always an option in Europe btw. A very expensive option.
Not what the reviews state. The stiffened chassis allowed for a different suspension tuning on the coupe than previous models, more neutral. We need a back-to-back blind test...

But clearly we all agree that the c-pillar needs to be debadged!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #48
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Actually, I can take it or leave it. Its not that big of a deal. Maybe it just looks more interesting to me on an E-Copper Roadster than on Donnington Grey...

Curiously, this thread led me out to look at some of the online photos, and in most of the photos of the E-Copper Roadster the badge appears grey, in some it looks black, and in others it appears to be two tone copper/black. (prototypes?) I'm fairly certain its all grey though as that's the way its clearly shown in the configurator...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 03:18 PM   #49
askmeaboutkfc
Private
Rep
Drives: 640i

Are there any upgrades to the audio system? I am looking at specs and it looks like they added another speaker?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #50
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Not what the reviews state. The stiffened chassis allowed for a different suspension tuning on the coupe than previous models, more neutral. We need a back-to-back blind test...

Agree that a proper test would determine it. But I Division were crystal clear in Leipzig that the i8 carbon cell is extremely stiff and does not limit the i8 coupe in any way.

I am 100% certain the new claims are just marketing spin to justify the added weight on the coupe.

The stiffened the rear, to make it understeer less I understand (or oversteer more ). They could do that on the original just as easily.

It's a bit of a fudge though, as the real fix is wider wheels all round, and perhaps moreso on the front.

That's what Lotus did with my Elise many years ago when I sent it to their tuning division for a custom upgrade (as well as different suspension, track brake pads, braided hoses etc).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #51
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmouth Studio View Post
It is so bad that BMW did not upgrade the interior with the up graded exterior. The interior looks so old fashioned and outdated.
I think the interior's design is fine but it's quality is not befitting its price at all. An M4 with extended leather pkg. has a nicer interior. The i8 is just too plasticky.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #52
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

The i8 as a whole completely missed the mark going all the way back to the drawing board. The entire concept of a 3 cyl hybrid "sports car" priced higher than a 911 or AMG GT is laughable. The i8's mediocre reviews and poor sales come at no surprise. Such a beautiful design gone to waste...
Appreciate 1
AwesomeM31641.00
      05-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #53
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
The i8's mediocre reviews and poor sales come at no surprise.
Are you from some alternative earth?

i8 had stellar reviews.

Regarding sales, BMW stupidly produced too many. It was never a mass market car.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #54
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Are you from some alternative earth?

i8 had stellar reviews.

Regarding sales, BMW stupidly produced too many. It was never a mass market car.
As far as driving dynamics goes the i8 hasn't fared well.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 04:12 PM   #55
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
As far as driving dynamics goes the i8 hasn't fared well.
I suppose if someone is one step away from Lewis Hamilton's driving ability, I can understand your comment. But I can assure that for my driving skills, my 2019 coupe in the mountain and canyon roads of Southern California is much more capable than the limits of my courage. When I am occasionally leaving Ducati's behind on some of the twisties, I think most who have driven the car near its limits will agree that the driving dynamics fare very well. With regard to my last comment, I actually had a pack of 3 bikers follow me all the way down on Angeles Crest Highway so they could pull alongside me when I pulled over to ask, "What are you driving and how the hell did it toast us like that?"
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #56
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmeaboutkfc View Post
Are there any upgrades to the audio system? I am looking at specs and it looks like they added another speaker?
That's interesting that you raise this question. I am convinced the sound is better in my new 2019 coupe than it was in the earlier MY's that I tested, though I'm not sure why. It is possible it's a better audio source than I played in my earlier test drives, though I did source them from my phone in both cases, albeit earlier I was streaming at a lower bitrate than I now use. But the HK speakers look a bit different to me than the previous MY's. I've attached a photo of one of the door mounted speakers. Can someone check to see if this looks different than the ones in prior MY's? I can't really say if the car has an additional speaker as I don't know how many it had before.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #57
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

As far as the interior goes the new front seats and carbon fibre trim are most welcome changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 10:36 PM   #58
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

I think some in this forum are frustrated that the i8 was not conceived as a "conventional" BMW with a big V8 or V12... I do understand that BMW did what they did with a hybrid. I'm a bit disappointed they did not use an inline 6 with hybrid system to reference their iconic M1 and give more performance to the car, and still keep the hybrid's environmental friendly credentials.

On the other hand bashing the i8 is a little bit too harsh IMO as for many owners it is a fantastic car that suits their green aspirations whilst providing plenty enough thrills...

IMO sales numbers are not bad for what's considered an "exotic" car: about 6,000 units since it's launch in Europe, and 5,000 units in the USA (as of end of March-18). 11,000 units for both continents.

To put things in perspective: The Audi R8 was about 4,200 units in the same period in Europe and 2,800 units for the USA, or about 7,000 units for the 2 combined.
      05-14-2018, 10:57 PM   #59
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
IMO sales numbers are not bad for what's considered an "exotic" car: about 6,000 units since it's launch in Europe, and 5,000 units in the USA (as of end of March-18). 11,000 units for both continents.

To put things in perspective: The Audi R8 was about 4,200 units in the same period in Europe and 2,800 units for the USA, or about 7,000 units for the 2 combined.
Okay, now that I have my 2019 coupe, BMW can stop making them. In fact, please discontinue the i8 for good, because I'd love to see the value of my car appreciate in contrast to the significant depreciation that happened with the earlier MY's. And if they decide to go all-electric in a few years, as some have speculated, that's fine with me too. I'm perfectly happy having two cars (electric and ICE) in one, and have to believe that against a pure electric version, mine will hold its value better.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 10:58 PM   #60
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post

Okay, now that I have my 2019 coupe, BMW can stop making them. In fact, please discontinue the i8 for good, because I'd love to see the value of my car appreciate in contrast to the significant depreciation that happened with the earlier MY's. And if they decide to go all-electric in a few years, as some have speculated, that's fine with me too. I'm perfectly happy having two cars (electric and ICE) in one, and have to believe that against a pure electric version, mine will hold its value better.
lol!!