Drives: F80 M3

Handover of 18 First BMW i8 Roadsters at Welt to International BMW i8 Club

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Handover of 18 First BMW i8 Roadsters at Welt to International BMW i8 Club
COMMENTS
Name:  P90305964-highRes.jpg
Views: 7267
Size:  395.2 KB

May 25, 2018. Munich. A plaque in the interior confirms that these 18 BMW i8 Roadsters (combined fuel consumption: 2.0 l/100 km; combined CO2 emissions: 46 g/km) came off the assembly line at BMW Group Plant Leipzig one after the other and are among the first to be handed over to customers. Yesterday, at BMW Welt in Munich, the BMW i8 Club received the keys for the exclusive first edition of the breath-taking plug-in hybrid roadsters from Peter van Binsbergen, head of Sales and Marketing BMW Germany. Their first outing was to drive in convoy to Lake Como in Italy for the Concorso d’Eleganza, where they will be displayed on the grounds of the Villa Erba this weekend.

The exclusive BMW i8 Roadster First Edition, which was only available to order for a very brief period, is limited to 200 models worldwide. An exclusive interior plaque on the driver’s side of the centre console identifies the First Edition as a genuine collector’s item, inscribed with the words “First Edition” and the limited edition numbering “1 of 200”. The 18 cars received by the BMW i8 Club are among the first of these 200 models and, as a special surprise for the members, are inscribed with “1 of 18”. Special interior options, such as ceramic applications for operating controls, dry-carbon interior trim, Harman Kardon hi-fi speaker system and the BMW i8 logo projected in the footwell and when doors are open, are also included in this exclusive edition.

Name:  P90305960-highRes.jpg
Views: 7345
Size:  465.5 KB

The presentation was an occasion not to be missed – because, even for BMW Group employees, the BMW i8 Roadster is a model with especially strong emotional appeal: Christian Ach, head of Sales and Direct Business BMW Germany, Dr. Robert Irlinger, head of the BMW i Product Line, Project Manager Rainer Rump and Robert Forrest, the designer of the BMW i8 Roadster, joined van Binsbergen in welcoming BMW i8 Club members from Germany, Switzerland, Singapore and Belgium who made the trip to Munich specially for the presentation. Club members have been fans since the beginning and did not hesitate for a second when they heard about the new BMW i8 Roadster. In addition to the official handover, the e-mobility enthusiasts also enjoyed a product presentation from Project Manager Rainer Rump and a tour of the “BMW i. Visionary Mobility” temporary exhibition at BMW Museum.

“We have been eagerly awaiting this moment for months – in fact, ever since we saw the first pictures of this gorgeous vehicle. The chance to enjoy the amazing driving experience of the Coupé in a Roadster is a dream come true for all of us,” explained Claus-Dieter Bachmann, president of the BMW i8 Club. “My fellow club members and I have been especially touched by the warm and enthusiastic welcome we have received here at BMW Welt. It has been an emotional moment we will never forget.”

Name:  P90305973-highRes.jpg
Views: 7256
Size:  56.4 KB

“The BMW i8 Roadster represents many things that are unique about BMW: fascinating design, visionary technology and sustainable mobility, but, particularly, emotion and sheer driving pleasure,” says Peter van Binsbergen. “This sportscar was built for people like the BMW i8 Club members: absolute automobile enthusiasts who love cars and dare to defy conventions and try new things. It therefore gives me great personal pleasure to present the 18 BMW i8 Roadsters to the BMW i8 Club.”

Unlike most automobile clubs, which tend to be formed at the end of a model’s lifecycle, the BMW i8 Club was created at the time the BMW i8 Coupé was released onto the market, back in 2014. This underlines the fascination of this futuristic plug-in hybrid sportscar, which captivates car aficionados with its unique LifeDrive vehicle architecture and aesthetically pleasing BMW i design language. Since its market launch, the BMW i8 has become the world’s top-selling hybrid sportscar and won countless awards for its visionary design and ground-breaking vehicle concept. The new BMW i8 Roadster adds the experience of open-top driving to the combination of locally emission-free mobility and top-class performance.

The BMW Group is one of the leading suppliers of electrified vehicles in Germany and Europe. As part of its corporate Strategy NUMBER ONE > NEXT, the BMW Group is systematically expanding its range of electric vehicles. With a total of nine electrified automobiles, the company offers the widest range of electric models in Germany. By 2025, the BMW Group plans to offer 25 electrified models, 12 of them pure electric.

First 18 BMW i8 Roadsters Delivered

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 2
dzu118.50
      05-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

I put a deposit down on my dealers first allocation of an i8 Roadster over a year before the ordering process opened up. We locked down the order of my Roadster as soon as the order system opened up. Literally within hours. I was told (by BMW NA) that all the First Edition Roadsters were spoken for...

Curiously, my dealer now has a First Edition Roadster sitting on the lot for a couple of weeks (at MSRP)...

I had their first allocation (Euro Delivery in July) and was told all the First Editions were spoken for. Now their second allocation shows up and its a First Edition?

WTF BMW?

I guess owning an X6M, M6, a BMW Individual M4 (which I waited over a year for), and doing the 2-Day BMW Nurburgring Experience every year for the last 4 years didn't demonstrate enough loyalty? Guess I just needed to join some club....

Last edited by evanevery; 05-25-2018 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 10
ORIGIN M.3159.50
M3V8X5V8135.50
rk60413.50
DeeKay553.00
ADS-UK498.50
rr006rbc1203.00
eau_rouge515.50
      05-25-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Urrrm, scuse me mr BMW man, what's the BMW i8 Club?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

some lucky new owners! I love the look of these

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
Urrrm, scuse me mr BMW man, what's the BMW i8 Club?
Apparently its a club for people who could actually order 1st Edition Roadsters...

Who knew you had to join some club?

Anyone know of any other clubs we might want to be aware of? Is there an iNext Club forming? How about iVision Club?

Last edited by evanevery; 05-25-2018 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 02:18 PM   #6
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

BMW UK are a joke. They TURNED DOWN all the First Editions they were offered by BMW Germany

So we never got ANY in the UK. We are only BMW's largest export market outside USA

Nice job BMW UK

Congratulations to all the lucky owners above. Lovely car
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #7
FrequentFlyer
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 & X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
BMW UK are a joke.
I agree with that .... but wondered if it made sense to build them all in lhd so UK was never really on the cards unless you wanted the wheel on the wrong side.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 02:42 PM   #8
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer View Post
I agree with that .... but wondered if it made sense to build them all in lhd so UK was never really on the cards unless you wanted the wheel on the wrong side.
No.

BMW UK were asked how many First Editions they wanted. They said they did not want any at all.

I have first hand information about this.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer View Post
No.

BMW UK were asked how many First Editions they wanted. They said they did not want any at all.

Post the source
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #10
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Well... Apparently they are so "exclusive", you can now find them sitting on the lot! (While also refusing them to loyal customers who placed orders on day #1...)

Nice job BMW!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #11
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Origin, those who know me here know I would never do so. Sorry.

Evan, I agree. Utter incompetence. Furthermore, a lot of us put our names down for a car during the secret showing a year ago, in Munich. We were never contacted by BMW to confirm our orders. Massive own goal by BMW.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      05-25-2018, 05:06 PM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
I put a deposit down on my dealers first allocation of an i8 Roadster over a year before the ordering process opened up. We locked down the order of my Roadster as soon as the order system opened up. Literally within hours. I was told (by BMW NA) that all the First Edition Roadsters were spoken for...

Curiously, my dealer now has a First Edition Roadster sitting on the lot for a couple of weeks (at MSRP)...

I had their first allocation (Euro Delivery in July) and was told all the First Editions were spoken for. Now their second allocation shows up and its a First Edition?

WTF BMW?

I guess owning an X6M, M6, a BMW Individual M4 (which I waited over a year for), and doing the 2-Day BMW Nurburgring Experience every year for the last 4 years didn't demonstrate enough loyalty? Guess I just needed to join some club....
yeah, but that's bc you've ONLY bought 3 sets of BMW CCBs. You need to be on your 5th set to have any VIP status these days.
      05-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #13
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Origin, those who know me here know I would never do so. Sorry.

Evan, I agree. Utter incompetence. Furthermore, a lot of us put our names down for a car during the secret showing a year ago, in Munich. We were never contacted by BMW to confirm our orders. Massive own goal by BMW.
That's fine I have been here for 10 years and yet I still have no idea what to believe anymore. I just don't believe most buzz for the obvious reasons. However that's some BS on BMW's part, Mercedes would never!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 05:29 PM   #14
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Congratulations to all the lucky owners.

How exciting for them.

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #15
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
No.

Has BMW UK relented on Full Welt Delivery programme yet?
Not just for the i8. But any model for delivery?
      05-25-2018, 05:37 PM   #16
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Well... Apparently they are so "exclusive", you can now find them sitting on the lot! (While also refusing them to loyal customers who placed orders on day #1...)

Nice job BMW!
Maybe a customer cancellation or a dealer order?
      05-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #17
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Just let these bad boys sit.

In a few months, bmw will eat their shadiness and be forced to sell the cars under invoice and at around 1200 a month with minimum drive off, like they have every year for the past 3 years
      05-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #18
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Why would an unsold "dealer order" get a First Edition before a "loyal customer order"... ...and, I had my dealer's first allocation. The one that's sitting on the lot is their second allocation.

I'm glad at least some folks got what they wanted! Its too bad that others did not.

Personally, I'm not really disappointed that I didn't get a First Edition. (There is a lot to be said for NOT getting one of the first 200 vehicles off the line). I am, however, disappointed in the way that BMW NA pushed me aside given my history with M cars and BMW driving events.

It should also be noted that my dealer offered me their First Edition in place of my existing order as soon as it arrived but I already had a euro delivery set up, my order has different wheels, and it will be providing transportation to/from a 2-day Nurburgring BMW driving event in August.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2018, 06:39 PM   #19
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Why would an unsold "dealer order" get a First Edition before a "loyal customer order"... ...and, I had my dealer's first allocation. The one that's sitting on the lot is their second allocation.

I'm glad at least some folks got what they wanted! Its too bad that others did not.

Personally, I'm not really disappointed that I didn't get a First Edition. (There is a lot to be said for NOT getting one of the first 200 vehicles off the line). I am, however, disappointed in the way that BMW NA pushed me aside given my history with M cars and BMW driving events.

It should also be noted that my dealer offered me their First Edition in place of my existing order as soon as it arrived but I already had a euro delivery set up, my order has different wheels, and it will be providing transportation to/from a 2-day Nurburgring BMW driving event in August.
So what did your dealer say about this. It was most likely the dealer who f-ed you over and not BMW. UNLESS you did not specify you wanted a "first edition disgnation" i8.

What did your dealer say when you went in and talked to them about how loyal you are and the dealer did not get you a first edition one? Were they apologetic or did they say BMW told them you could not get one and they needed the I 8 first edition for dealer stock? Wonder if another buyer after you bought yours did not want the "First Edition" and gave it up?

Wonder what the full story is

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #20
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:
No.

Has BMW UK relented on Full Welt Delivery programme yet?
Not just for the i8. But any model for delivery?
I hope so at some point. I'd be all over that!!
      05-27-2018, 06:19 PM   #21
rockymtnpilot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i

Quote:
Personally, I'm not really disappointed
Idk you kind of seem disappointed
Appreciate 2
ORIGIN M.3159.50
einscot406.50
      05-28-2018, 05:45 AM   #22
einscot
Banned
Rep
Drives: '17 f80 ZCP, '94 d90, '13 x5d

Quote:

WTF BMW?

maybe you need a new dealer? i've seen loyalty go right out the window when limited edition models are in play.

although, it seems like bmw makes a limited edition model every two months for some car or other.
Appreciate 0