Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

05-13-2017, 04:01 AM   #1
Dexterfang
Rep
Drives: i8 Protonic Blue, I-Pace

Brakes

I was enjoying a bit of country lane driving the other morning when I happened upon a cyclist just where the road got particularly narrow. I applied what I thought would be good brake pressure, but it ended up being emergency stop pressure very quickly. My previous 4 would stop on a sixpence, but the i8 is positively ponderous compared to it.

Not complaining, the cyclist was entirely unaware of the blood pressure spike occurring behind him, but I thought I'd point it out should you ever find yourself in a similar position.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

C&D reports 60-0 braking at 163'. That is pretty good. But like most regenerative brakes, the initial feel does not inspire confidence. Practicing emergency stops seems like a good idea...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-driver-page-4
Appreciate 1
Aye-eight508.50
      05-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Ive had that feeling a couple of times, i think the system gets confused
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Most drivers used to servos, do not press hard enough in an emergency situation.

Secondly, the first stage of i8 braking is regeneration only. Watch the dial to learn where the physical brakes start to come in. In normal slowing down I try to use only regen to slow down, watching the dial.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 01:33 AM   #5
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I tested the brakes at various occasions when the road was empty and braking distance seemed very satisfying without sweating cold in my hands , that must be one of the reasons why Adaptive Drive Assist is a must considering auto emergency braking , it would save you from a big hassle given it's reaction time or it would automatically brake hard than other drivers would do
      05-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
Dexterfang
Rep
Drives: i8 Protonic Blue, I-Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Most drivers used to servos, do not press hard enough in an emergency situation.

Secondly, the first stage of i8 braking is regeneration only. Watch the dial to learn where the physical brakes start to come in. In normal slowing down I try to use only regen to slow down, watching the dial.
Good advice. The regen braking in sport mode is normally plenty. I do wonder what the cars behind make of the lack of brake lights when approaching roundabouts and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #7
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterfang View Post
Good advice. The regen braking in sport mode is normally plenty. I do wonder what the cars behind make of the lack of brake lights when approaching roundabouts and stuff.
i3 and i8 automatically apply rear brake lights if deceleration exceeds a set limit, whether the brake pedal is pressed or not. This happens every time you release the accelerator in the i3 in particular, as regen is very high in that car.

So, this is not a problem for following drivers
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 04:24 PM   #8
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:

Same here. In more than one way, driving the i8 is bit differentand and requires (or at least encourages) slightly different throught processes.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 04:30 PM   #9
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
i3 and i8 automatically apply rear brake lights if deceleration exceeds a set limit, whether the brake pedal is pressed or not. This happens every time you release the accelerator in the i3 in particular, as regen is very high in that car.

Correct. I was curious and actually tested it. On a dark country road at night, with reflective side posts, it's quite easy to see in the rearview mirror when your brake lights come on.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 12:26 AM   #10
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Quote:

Cool, I didn't know that, thanks for your insight
      05-15-2017, 04:56 AM   #11
tkar
Rep
Drives: i8

When you guys are talking about regen braking are you referring to when physically pressing the brake pedal? I have found the i8 pretty aggressively brakes when coasting, most noticeable in sports mode. For me is not a bad thing as it allows you to push the car without having to worry about the manual slow down, just need to learn to drive slightly differently with the i8. I find I rarely need to physically brake when approaching a junction or roundabout if I time my coasting properly.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #12
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Both i3 and i8 regen brake if you lift off the accelerator. If you depress the brake pedal lightly, they regen more strongly. If you press harder, they apply the physical brakes too (at the point where max regen is reached).

Experiment with trying all three, and watching the regen meter. It is very straightforward, and will be crystal clear when you try in your car
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 06:17 AM   #13
tkar
Rep
Drives: i8

Thanks, that makes sense
Appreciate 0