Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3, no mods,no probs

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Windshield crack

Went to drive the car the other morning and there was a crack in the windshield--wasn't there the night before and no recollection of an impact though it's possible. Anyone else ever have a spontaneous or otherwise crack in the windshield?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
ngl1145
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanesso View Post
Went to drive the car the other morning and there was a crack in the windshield--wasn't there the night before and no recollection of an impact though it's possible. Anyone else ever have a spontaneous or otherwise crack in the windshield?
I've had the same thing happen to me. I did a search online and found that there were others that had the same issue. I had my car in the garage and one morning there was a crack that stemmed from the top of the windshield near the rear view mirror section was. It went down and split in 2 directions. BMW replaced my windshield under warranty. There were no rock chips at all either.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

What year are your cars?
How long after having your car did you get the cracks?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 02:39 AM   #4
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: i8(16) RangeR (15) TeslaX (17)

It's because of all these random crack photos I got clearplex installed. There are a few threads on this and a few other who got this installed.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 12:45 AM   #5
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I don't have a crack in windshield although I have got a cracking car .I think it's because of frail structure of what a supplier threw at BMW .
As far as I know, later production models get this sorted out
      05-08-2017, 03:48 AM   #6
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
I don't have a crack in windshield although I have got a cracking car .I think it's because of frail structure of what a supplier threw at BMW .
The structure is sound. Frankly, if one thinks the car is structurally weak, one shouldn't drive it. The cracking you hear when you're driving is most likely due to imperfectly aligned door locks. The dealer can adjust that for you. Worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 05:54 AM   #7
Hitz101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 + Lamborghini Huracan LP610

I had the EXACT same thing happen to mine. Woke up & the windshield had a HUGE split going down the middle from the rear mirror & there was no chips or hits or anything before then & no impacts. Took it to bmw & even showed them that it was happening all over to other ones too. They had to have a bmw affiliate come to look at the car & they told me they refuse to pay for it under warranty & I had to pay like 1200 to get it replaced & all. Straight up bs. It's clearly a fault in the car from the carbon tub bending a little under stress & splitting the mirror down the center. And they seen it was an issue with man but still told me they wouldn't not cover it. Still mad. If this happens again & they still refuse I'll sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitz101 View Post
I had the EXACT same thing happen to mine. Woke up & the windshield had a HUGE split going down the middle from the rear mirror & there was no chips or hits or anything before then & no impacts. Took it to bmw & even showed them that it was happening all over to other ones too. They had to have a bmw affiliate come to look at the car & they told me they refuse to pay for it under warranty & I had to pay like 1200 to get it replaced & all. Straight up bs. It's clearly a fault in the car from the carbon tub bending a little under stress & splitting the mirror down the center. And they seen it was an issue with man but still told me they wouldn't not cover it. Still mad. If this happens again & they still refuse I'll sell the car.
BMW is an engineering company and ramping up their internal audits of the dealers to an annual basis, making it much harder to get goodwill and warranty approved on cars. Customer service will further deteriorate I fear, on top of the other maintenance and leasing changes. Porsche is becoming a viable alternative now....the monetary gap is shrinking there.

This is insane to hear that windshields are cracking left and right and you have to foot the bill....sorry to hear that.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #9
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
They aligned my doors. I still have a rattle here and there and it drives me mad. Early adopters pay the biggest price and depreciation.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #10
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Mods: Maybe we could start a sticky where people could provide a VIN or something to collect info on the numerous cases of windshield cracks?

I think it would help any others that end up in the same situation, if they could tell BMW here are XX people who have had the exact same issue, with some sort of real info.

Just an idea.

Yes, I'm crazy paranoid about this happening to me too!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #11
wanesso
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitz101 View Post
That's bad man. Insurance covered me, no questions asked and BMW installed the new one.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #12
PurplePeril
Rep
Drives: i8 & 458 Italia

Exact same problem - sorted under warranty- covered here. A sticky would be a very good idea.
windshield / windscreen stress cracks? http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1249996
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #13
wanesso
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePeril View Post
Exact same problem - sorted under warranty- covered here. A sticky would be a very good idea.
windshield / windscreen stress cracks? http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1249996

Hmmm, yes I didn't see that thread from one year ago with exactly the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 08:45 PM   #14
Leahluvofficial
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Exclamation My 2019 BMW x1 windshield has a crack tracing rear view mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanesso View Post

I went outside to my car today and there is a crack starting at the very top of my windshield right at the lip and going in a perfect little line highlighting right around my rearview mirror, barely missing the sensor. Wasn’t there yesterday and there’s not a single point of impact from anything possibly hitting my windshield and there’s been no pressure applied to my windshield that would cause it to crack like this.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 04:45 PM   #15
RDSChicago
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW i8 Roadster

Well when it rains it pours. Today, I found my windshield on my 2019 Roadster cracked. It looks like it emanated right above where the rear view mirror connects to the windshield. There is a star crack and then thin lines all around the rear view mirror mount. See attached photos.

I bought a BMW platinum extended warranty. Does anyone have any ideas as to
what is the best way to address this? It sure seems like a manufacturer‘s defect. I can turn it into my insurance and pay a $250 deductible.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 11:35 AM   #16
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 BMW i8 Acura MDX

This is nuts this and the coolant issue need to be recalls.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 12:09 PM   #17
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Mine (2015) broke this February. I don’t care, as it is covered by insurance and I like new windshields 😍
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 06:17 PM   #18
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Same thing happened to me, twice!

First crack was at the same spot you got yours.
Used insurance to replace it.
Drove off with my new windshield, and the two days later, it cracked again...same spot.
Dealer at first wouldn't accept replacement under warranty, told me I need to use my insurance again. Eventually, they covered under warranty.
Constant paranoia still about it happening again, maybe not as bad now (I think it's 1-2 years later), but still a concern in the back of my head.

Agreed, this should be recognized as a known issue and covered by warranty.
Appreciate 0