Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

05-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #23
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

i think in this day and age, bmw should offer a glass roof option.

991 has it, amg gt has it, mclaren's all have one. I would make the interior a much better place and would enhance the 'new age' / modern car feeling. There are ways and techniques to avoid inducing any weight gain as demonstrated by the other brands.
Appreciate 1
Aye-eight508.50
      05-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #24
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePeril View Post
The display key is such a missed opportunity- should have same functionality as it does on the 7 series. What were they thinking?!
Don't forget: for a car to drive itself, like the 7-series, it doesn't only need sensors. It also needs actuators to move the steering wheel, engage the brakes, etc. That's significant extra weight. It's way more than just a software update.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 06:14 PM   #25
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsi View Post
i think in this day and age, bmw should offer a glass roof option.

991 has it, amg gt has it, mclaren's all have one. I would make the interior a much better place and would enhance the 'new age' / modern car feeling. There are ways and techniques to avoid inducing any weight gain as demonstrated by the other brands.
Agreed, as long as it's fully dimmable. Nothing is worse than a car that heats up at record time and then can't cool down in eco mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 07:32 PM   #26
13pauls
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
Out of curiosity, what have you owned?
Ferrari FF, various S class, RR, various BMW, currently have Maserati QP (horrible car), G550 wagen...as well as i8.

Last edited by 13pauls; 05-25-2017 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 07:39 PM   #27
13pauls
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louv View Post
"Unacceptable"? So then you didn't buy the car? Or you are selling yours?

You don't actually expect BMW (or any large company) to suddenly smack their foreheads and say "YES, OF COURSE!!! Why didn't WE think of all those things?!?" I'd wager my car that they had already considered every single thing you have thought of. And they thought of it five years before you did.

Developing any complex product is constant compromise. You can't have everything. ("where would you put it?") The i8 was developed as a very fast, skunk-works product.

Schedule, Features, Quality. Pick Two. If you don't understand this concept, talk to someone who develops products for a world market. They'll explain how the world actually works.

Yes, absolutely, give BMW your feedback. But if you expect them to jump up and hand you keys to a new vehicle that they've been keeping hidden just for customers like you that want MORE... then you might want to check your tenuous handle on reality.

Tone it down if you want them to take you seriously. You are sounding just this side of crazy. Or you are sounding like a spoiled, entitled child stomping his feet and throwing a tantrum.

If it was truly "unacceptable" then you would have already walked away.

Better yet, go start a car company and build your perfect car.
I think that's exactly the point of OP's thread...FEEDBACK...if you are questioning his handle on reality....you should look towards your shoulder, maybe a "chip" is there...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 08:34 PM   #28
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13pauls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
Out of curiosity, what have you owned?
Ferrari FF, various S class, RR, various BMW, currently have Maserati QP (horrible car), G550 wagen...as well as i8.
I'd say you know enough to be knowledgeable about these sort of things.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 11:17 PM   #29
iHyperMiler
Private
Rep
Drives: i3 A8

Plenty of aftermarket wheels if needed? I am not into the automation features either.

My number one weightless mod would be a possibility for recharging the battery in comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 11:25 PM   #30
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHyperMiler View Post
Plenty of aftermarket wheels if needed? I am not into the automation features either.

My number one weightless mod would be a possibility for recharging the battery in comfort mode.
Isn't there an option for keeping the charge at the same level?
      05-26-2017, 09:34 AM   #31
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Memory Seats is my #1. The sheer amount of people who try and sit in my car and I constantly have to remind them NOT to move my seats makes me look like an OCD idiot
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 11:12 AM   #32
iHyperMiler
Private
Rep
Drives: i3 A8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
Isn't there an option for keeping the charge at the same level?
Yes but to regain additional distance you have to roar and rattle... .
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 07:38 AM   #33
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
Memory Seats is my #1. The sheer amount of people who try and sit in my car and I constantly have to remind them NOT to move my seats makes me look like an OCD idiot
There's one quick way to solve that problem!
Repeat after me.....

"Don't sit in my car!"
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #34
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
There's one quick way to solve that problem!
Repeat after me.....

"Don't sit in my car!"
Ya I second that. I have cream seats and someone with dirty jeans denim stained the seats (it came out luckily). Ppl just need to learn to not touch others peoples things.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2017, 01:40 AM   #35
JUSTIN808
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X4MC, 22 Ridgeline RTLE.

What about lighted vanity mirrors? Or is this included after 2014?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #36
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
The i8 already has an incredibly complicated wiring harness and carbon fiber making AM radio reception difficult at best. (I've gotten it coded back in so I can listen to Dodgers games when I'm driving.) It took them a long time just to figure out how to put in keyless entry (the horribly named "comfort access") and American buyers in 2014 were shorted this amenity. Automobiles now use the same wiring cables for several functions, and I suspect the biggest problems on the i8 are weight and space. As well as interference from the carbon fiber pieces.

So I doubt anything on the long list -- while all would be helpful -- will be on the list of options or features for the 2018 refresh.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 09:35 PM   #37
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

My gripe: The car has the ability to adjust steering boost, throttle response, shift behavior and suspension. Unfortunately these adjustments cannot be made individually, as with the M cars. I'm in sport mode nearly full time, since I really don't like the throttle response and transmission behavior in the other modes. If the car had M buttons on the steering wheel like the M cars I could keep the aggressive throttle/shifting and have the suspension set to comfort.

More of a wishlist item than a gripe. Really I'm amazed at how well the car functions as a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 01:54 AM   #38
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmfiv3 View Post
My gripe: The car has the ability to adjust steering boost, throttle response, shift behavior and suspension. Unfortunately these adjustments cannot be made individually, as with the M cars. I'm in sport mode nearly full time, since I really don't like the throttle response and transmission behavior in the other modes. If the car had M buttons on the steering wheel like the M cars I could keep the aggressive throttle/shifting and have the suspension set to comfort.

More of a wishlist item than a gripe. Really I'm amazed at how well the car functions as a daily driver.

Once again, all down to software. BMW should have a "simple" software mode for normal people who don't want configuration options and a "complicated" mode for people who like to fine tune things like engine mode, transmission mode, steering, lighting, HUD etc...

On of my annoyances with BMW transmission software has always been that it will not shift into top gear in sport mode without manual intervention. On an i8 it's even worse because you're more likely to use sport mode on the highway to recharge the battery and you're stuck in 5th burning more fuel than needed.
      06-01-2017, 03:45 PM   #39
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
Don't forget: for a car to drive itself, like the 7-series, it doesn't only need sensors. It also needs actuators to move the steering wheel, engage the brakes, etc. That's significant extra weight. It's way more than just a software update.
I am pretty sure it has steering capable of it, as it is electric power assisted. Same as i3 I believe. Either way, I don't believe it is a weight issue.

If BMW wanted it lighter, why not dispense with power steering completely. With the narrow tyres, it would definitely be easy enough to steer a 1400Kg car without it. And we would have better steering feel.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #40
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louv View Post
"complete drivel"

Not worth responding to.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #41
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
So I doubt anything on the long list -- while all would be helpful -- will be on the list of options or features for the 2018 refresh.
Sadly I believe you are correct, although not necessarily for the reasons you think.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #42
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
Once again, all down to software. BMW should have a "simple" software mode for normal people who don't want configuration options and a "complicated" mode for people who like to fine tune things like engine mode, transmission mode, steering, lighting, HUD etc...

On of my annoyances with BMW transmission software has always been that it will not shift into top gear in sport mode without manual intervention. On an i8 it's even worse because you're more likely to use sport mode on the highway to recharge the battery and you're stuck in 5th burning more fuel than needed.
I agree completely. Or the complex functions could be under an "advanced settings" option in the Settings menu. We could then custom set anything to one of the 6 buttons anyway. Again, this could be done through a software update.

Having a few custom buttons on the steering would have been nice, but too late now of course.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #43
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
On of my annoyances with BMW transmission software has always been that it will not shift into top gear in sport mode without manual intervention.
May I humbly suggest that you're simply not going fast enough. BMW take their Sport mode seriously, i.e. no premature upshifts on the Autobahn, the Nürburgring, the Mulsanne Straight. Upshifting to top gear at 100 mph or whatever would defeat the purpose of Sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #44
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
I agree completely. Or the complex functions could be under an "advanced settings" option in the Settings menu. We could then custom set anything to one of the 6 buttons anyway. Again, this could be done through a software update.

Having a few custom buttons on the steering would have been nice, but too late now of course.
They did pretty much that on a previous M5. Drove everyone mad to have a myriad of suspension, gearshift, steering, etc. options to combine. I forget which generation it was. There's a good Top Gear episode on it.
Appreciate 0