BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-30-2017, 06:30 AM   #1
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Calf T 911, GTS, RR S Class

Dinan

I have been looking for a tuning solution that does not require an ECU flash. I noticed that ECS tuning is listing the Mini version of the Dinantronics sport performance tuner as compatible with the i8. Dinan does not list it on their website as working with the i8, but I have a very good relationship with the local Dinan BMW dealer and I am going to call them tomorrow. not sure if it will work, or if the 30hp and 40/lb ft of tq is possible with the i8, but at $299.00 and easily removed if need be, I am hoping it will work.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 06:34 PM   #2
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
As of now, the word on the street is that Dinan has no interest in providing any tuning options for the i8. Maybe that will change, but I wouldn't count on it.

That said, let us know what you hear.

I just have a hard time believing that anyone would install something that wasn't specifically designed for the BMW i8. A lot of risk there.
Appreciate 2
      04-30-2017, 09:10 PM   #3
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreezenovel View Post
I have been looking for a tuning solution that does not require an ECU flash. I noticed that ECS tuning is listing the Mini version of the Dinantronics sport performance tuner as compatible with the i8. Dinan does not list it on their website as working with the i8, but I have a very good relationship with the local Dinan BMW dealer and I am going to call them tomorrow. not sure if it will work, or if the 30hp and 40/lb ft of tq is possible with the i8, but at $299.00 and easily removed if need be, I am hoping it will work.
the problem is not the tune as Terry has the JB+ tune for the Mini/i8 platform, the problem here is one of the sensors I believe the TMAP or MAP they are VERY hard to reach...
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2017, 05:31 AM   #4
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

I am not worried about reaching the sensor since the dealer (Thompson BMW) would do the install if it works. I just find it a little strange that Dinan does not have it listed as working with the i8 since BMW dealers are supposed to install the units for customers. Granted things have changed at Dinan, so that may no longer be their policy.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #5
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
I am not worried about reaching the sensor since the dealer (Thompson BMW) would do the install if it works. I just find it a little strange that Dinan does not have it listed as working with the i8 since BMW dealers are supposed to install the units for customers. Granted things have changed at Dinan, so that may no longer be their policy.
If this is real, I am jumping on this myself. Big IF....
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Doesn't the Mini tune, albeit on the same engine, work from a completely different performance baseline? The engine in the i8 is pretty high strung already. I don't quite see how a tune that was designed for a different engine configuration should have the same effect in the i8.
Appreciate 1
Louv300.50
      05-02-2017, 06:09 AM   #7
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

I spoke to Thompson BMW's Dinan guy yesterday and he is going to look into it. He made the same points as others here have. I have not heard anything yet, but they are an Alfa dealer as well and I did also asked him to look into some things for my 4C too. At $299 (and it only plugs into 1 sensor) all it really does is increase boost (it also has an app to set it to what level you want). I may call ECS and see if they have ever sold one of these for an i8.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 07:25 PM   #8
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

To be clear, this is not a "tune". The device only changes the data the computer receives about boost level, resulting in about 10% higher boost levels. The risk is that it is likely to throw a code, that normal boost levels have been exceeded, putting up a red flag when the car is plugged into the dealer's computer and ISTA, potentially voiding the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 06:22 AM   #9
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

Well I heard back, it appears Dinan will not confirm, or deny it will work. Since the dealer wants to know (and I have been a dinan guinea pig in the past), we are going to install it and see what happens. I am going to take the car up to Thompson BMW and let them put it in. I tend to not care much about things like warranty (I have done some pretty crazy things to brand new cars), since no dealer has ever denied me warranty. I can understand though that the way I see things is not how most people do, and if this does work I suggest you talk to your local BMW (that does Dinan upgrades) before you try it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 08:00 AM   #10
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Unless BMW has put something special in the CPU programming for the i8 in this regard it should work.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 08:02 AM   #11
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

I would have some concerns about the balance between the ICE and the electric motors. Both drivetrain and handling issues. The i8 is a complex system. I keep hoping that BMW Performance will develop a power upgrade, but guessing that this would involve major components like the battery, hence not realistic to market. Fingers crossed for 2018 model...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 09:08 AM   #12
Amgeater2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I would have some concerns about the balance between the ICE and the electric motors. Both drivetrain and handling issues. The i8 is a complex system. I keep hoping that BMW Performance will develop a power upgrade, but guessing that this would involve major components like the battery, hence not realistic to market. Fingers crossed for 2018 model...
What ??? balancing issues ...complex system. its a car
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 09:11 AM   #13
Amgeater2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well I heard back, it appears Dinan will not confirm, or deny it will work. Since the dealer wants to know (and I have been a dinan guinea pig in the past), we are going to install it and see what happens. I am going to take the car up to Thompson BMW and let them put it in. I tend to not care much about things like warranty (I have done some pretty crazy things to brand new cars), since no dealer has ever denied me warranty. I can understand though that the way I see things is not how most people do, and if this does work I suggest you talk to your local BMW (that does Dinan upgrades) before you try it.
Wait... "I tend to not care much about things like warranty (I have done some pretty crazy things to brand new cars)" Then why go with Dinan ? its pretty clear that you can get more power with other vendors
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2017, 04:24 AM   #14
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

I was trying to find a solution that would not disappear if the dealer had to do anything to the ECU. If someone offered a cloned ECU solution, or a handheld tuner that would be the best option but I have yet to find anyone that does. I have gone through that in the past and just like coding the tune is gone as well. I have read about other options but have yet to see any dyno results, or a detailed explanation as to what exactly these tunes do. The Dinan is a piggy back which only increases boost, which is of course the easiest way to add power to turbo charged engine. I cannot see how it would effect anything else since it only attached to one sensor on the car. I cannot say whether it will cause a code, (I have done things like this in other turbo cars will no issues),and I have the M performance and sound package on my 440i (which Thompson BMW did for me), which I'm sure must change the boost level since they are not getting those gains from just adding an exhaust. It would be nice if BMW came out with something like that for the i8. Doc, I understand where you are coming from, but since this unit is only being attached to the sensor that controls boost, I doubt it would cause any imbalance, but (and this is what the dealer is trying to determine before installing it) the concern is that system might sense overboost and then who knows what it might do. I would think if it was going to do that everyone who had any tune put in their car would have experienced this.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #15
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
I was trying to find a solution that would not disappear if the dealer had to do anything to the ECU. If someone offered a cloned ECU solution, or a handheld tuner that would be the best option but I have yet to find anyone that does. I have gone through that in the past and just like coding the tune is gone as well. I have read about other options but have yet to see any dyno results, or a detailed explanation as to what exactly these tunes do. The Dinan is a piggy back which only increases boost, which is of course the easiest way to add power to turbo charged engine. I cannot see how it would effect anything else since it only attached to one sensor on the car. I cannot say whether it will cause a code, (I have done things like this in other turbo cars will no issues),and I have the M performance and sound package on my 440i (which Thompson BMW did for me), which I'm sure must change the boost level since they are not getting those gains from just adding an exhaust. It would be nice if BMW came out with something like that for the i8. Doc, I understand where you are coming from, but since this unit is only being attached to the sensor that controls boost, I doubt it would cause any imbalance, but (and this is what the dealer is trying to determine before installing it) the concern is that system might sense overboost and then who knows what it might do. I would think if it was going to do that everyone who had any tune put in their car would have experienced this.
Your other option is to purchase an additional ECU and have one tuned and one stock. The piggyback would be much less expensive though. Anyone concerned about "balance" has to realize the i8's synchronization between the two engines happens in real time. It's not like they're set to specific outputs, so the car can't really be thrown "out of balance" by simply increasing the boost on the ICE.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 07:41 PM   #16
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

I'm not sure about the balance issue. Take a more extreme hypothetical, add 200 hp to the ICE, now you have 450 on the rear wheels, but still only 150 from the electric on the front. I don't know what that would do to the handling, nor how the software would react.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 05:27 AM   #17
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
the concern is that system might sense overboost and then who knows what it might do. I would think if it was going to do that everyone who had any tune put in their car would have experienced this.
I don't think a "normal" (i.e. software) tune would cause that issue as the software tune changes a table of values increasing maximum allowed boost. The ECU is getting inputs from various sensors, all would correlate and parameters are within the range it knows is 'normal' as specified in its memory table - it wouldn't sense a problem. However, if you fool the ECU into thinking boost is at a certain level when it is actually higher, you could get sensor parameters disagreeing and throwing a warning light - or even limp-home mode. Depends how the software reacts to inputs and what those inputs are I guess.
      05-10-2017, 05:24 AM   #18
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

Okay after 5 phone calls with BMW techs, Dinan, and Thompson, the dealer decided that they do not want to be responsible because they have no clue how it will effect the car. I said I understood and now they are trying to get me a deal on a second ECU, though I have no idea who I will use to tune it since none of the people I've worked with in the past offer a tune for this car.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #19
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Okay after 5 phone calls with BMW techs, Dinan, and Thompson, the dealer decided that they do not want to be responsible because they have no clue how it will effect the car. I said I understood and now they are trying to get me a deal on a second ECU, though I have no idea who I will use to tune it since none of the people I've worked with in the past offer a tune for this car.
Contact Tom Limatola, the owner at Auto Couture Motoring (ACM) which is a pretty darn well-known BMW shop. They offer an ECU tune for the i8. They did my Gintani ECU tune for my M4 and I was thrilled. My i8 is a short term lease so I'm on the fence on doing it or not. Tune gains 40-HP / 100-TQ. So tempted...

www.autocouturemotoring.com
Tom@autocouturemotoring.com

EDIT: If anyone else is interested, I know Sal will give us a Group Buy. Perhaps I can then be persuaded lol

Last edited by Ghetto2315; 05-10-2017 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 08:35 AM   #20
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Somebody here already tried a piggy back (the base JB3 I believe). It is a resistor which fools the car into thinking it has a boost leak, so it makes more boost. The person that tried this device posted pics of the install etc. He also posted that driving home after install he got a CEL and shortly thereafter a phone call from BMW asking him to bring his car in as they were alerted to a problem.

The solution that has been previously mentioned from a couple sources is the flash tune (here in the US is done by ACM in Florida I believe) which requires the car or the ECU. A couple people have done these and I would be interested in a long term review.

Member skinrock did the Gintani tune but I'm not sure if that is a piggy or flash. Maybe skinrock can let us know more details and how it's working out long term.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #21
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
It's a flash tune. It's been fine...no CEL. I've yet to get any actual numbers, but the butt dyno has been happy. I'd really be curious to see if there are any simple bolt ons we can do, considering it's just the B38 engine.
      05-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #22
Amgeater2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Somebody here already tried a piggy back (the base JB3 I believe). It is a resistor which fools the car into thinking it has a boost leak, so it makes more boost. The person that tried this device posted pics of the install etc. He also posted that driving home after install he got a CEL and shortly thereafter a phone call from BMW asking him to bring his car in as they were alerted to a problem.

The solution that has been previously mentioned from a couple sources is the flash tune (here in the US is done by ACM in Florida I believe) which requires the car or the ECU. A couple people have done these and I would be interested in a long term review.

Member skinrock did the Gintani tune but I'm not sure if that is a piggy or flash. Maybe skinrock can let us know more details and how it's working out long term.
I pretty much got the first flash tune (that I know of in FL) it was not done by ACM and I dont ever recall ACM even tuning one.. nevertheless my flash was done by Velos in Miami and they dyno the car as well
Appreciate 0