BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

05-08-2017, 06:58 AM   #1
tkar
Rep
Drives: i8

Post New Member

Hi all,

I am a long term stalker of this forum and now finally a proud i8 owner. Reading all your posts have been a great way to kill the time in anticipation for my purchase. It has been quite a long journey on the road to purchasing this amazing car but I finally managed to bag a great deal on a Oct 2015 registration over at Park Lane BMW with around £38k off the original purchase price with 4K miles on the clock. Park Lane were really helpful with adding on the blue accents and painting the alloys for free, aswell as retrofitting the display key.

A few questions which I haven't found the answer to:

- When switching to manual paddle shift is there a quick way to switch back to auto without switching modes? The only way I have found is to switch in and out of modes (normally sport back to comfort and back again).

- Is there a way to keep auto wind screen wipers always on? I find I have to turn it on each time it rains.

- Is there a way to set the navigation instructions to speak over the music rather than cut it out completely?

- Does anyone else with the display key find preconditioning does not work? It attempts to turn on but just hangs and then stays off. iPhone works fine.

Last edited by tkar; 05-08-2017 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
363ny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Looks great - congratulations on the i8 and enjoy in good health!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkar View Post

A few questions which I haven't found the answer to:

- When switching to manual paddle shift is there a quick way to switch back to auto without switching modes? The only way I have found is to switch in and out of modes (normally sport back to comfort and back again).
I believe this is the only way and what I do as well.

Quote:
- Is there a way to keep auto wind screen wipers always on? I find I have to turn it on each time it rains.
My coder indicated that this is not possible which is a shame as he was able to code it on my 640 GC but not my i8.

Quote:
- Is there a way to set the navigation instructions to speak over the music rather than cut it out completely?
The navigation instructions do speak over the music in my car (music volume does get reduced but not silent). There must be a setting in the i-drive for this, but sure where it is located in the menu though.

Quote:
- Does anyone else with the display key find preconditioning does not work? It attempts to turn on but just hangs and then stays off. iPhone works fine.
Cant help you here as I don't have the display key.
2014 BMW 640iX GC (gone but not forgotten)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Congrats on the purchase - looks good

My display key works fine. Are you sure the car and the key have established the communication link before you are trying to initiate the preconditioning?

You might need to speak to Park Lane if you can't get this going.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
gxsolace
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2016

Quote:
Yeah, you can hold down the right upshift paddle for a second, and it'll switch back to automatic shifting.

And congrats!
Appreciate 1
Defiant2282.50
      05-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #5
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Congratulations on purchasing a great looking i8. The blacked out wheels adds to a more aggressive look.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 12:56 AM   #6
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Congrats ,that's a great looking car and it sounds like you got a great deal too
There's also something that I dislike is that I have to press the tip at the end of headlamp stalk to activate the AUTO Headlamp Assist just like I press the AUTO button for windshield wiper as well
      05-09-2017, 03:30 AM   #7
tkar
Rep

Thanks 363ny , I will have to dig around a bit more regarding the music vs sat nav instructions!

fishpond I think you are right, will have to go back to dealer I think.

gxsolace Peeeerfect! Tried it on the way home and worked as you mentioned. Thanks for sharing, now I'll be much more inclined to do those downshifts!

Thanks YWGT3 I was really adamant to have the blacked out wheels purely for the reason you mention.

Thanks Nivarox , agreed would be nice to never have to think about AUTO features, as they are they start feeling manual!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 06:52 AM   #8
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Nivarox , agreed would be nice to never have to think about AUTO features, as they are they start feeling manual!
Auto wiper is a safety thing I think. If it was on by default, you could lose a finger washing it if you forgot to turn it off (or, rather the person washing your car might lose a finger )
      05-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #9
tkar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
Auto wiper is a safety thing I think. If it was on by default, you could lose a finger washing it if you forgot to turn it off (or, rather the person washing your car might lose a finger )

Hmm my A5 had the feature, did sometimes catch me out at the car wash like you mention though!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #10
heavymetals
Rep
Drives: I8

I am a long term stalker here also.

My account was just approved today.

I think I "sold" my C5 Z06 (Vette) and have been shopping an I8.

The dealers here in Calif. are something else!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 09:42 PM   #11
Mikegg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, RR SVR, Maserati Ghibli

Loving the car!
Appreciate 0