BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #23
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Question to you guys at the show - do they have an i8 key there to show off? Will the public be able to see it?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #24
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Question to you guys at the show - do they have an i8 key there to show off? Will the public be able to see it?
Here ya go.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #25
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Here ya go.
Haha thanks, I've seen that pic, Carac.

I am heading down to LA on Monday and will be at the show, so I was hoping someone would tell me I can see the key in person
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #26
sebaflex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

dont really like the car, but i gotta admit that KEY looks very cool.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 01:34 AM   #27
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

My moment of fame with the i8. I can say I was there when it all began! Someone asked about adding first impressions. Its as sexy as it looks, just overlook all the rough edges and cheap trim. I couldn't spend six figures on this. You're paying for the development cost and to part of a new era of sports cars with the latest big thing. It reminded me of my first blackberry.

What would I spend $150K on? See below. I'm smitten with the 911 50th anniversary edition.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #28
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WULFFZA View Post
My moment of fame with the i8. I can say I was there when it all began! Someone asked about adding first impressions. Its as sexy as it looks, just overlook all the rough edges and cheap trim. I couldn't spend six figures on this. You're paying for the development cost and to part of a new era of sports cars with the latest big thing. It reminded me of my first blackberry.

What would I spend $150K on? See below. I'm smitten with the 911 50th anniversary edition.
Thanks for posting your thoughts. Awesome of you guys with pre show press passes that get to sit in the car... I hope I won't be disappointed by the "rough edges and cheap trim."

The Porsche looks nice and the fact that it's a beast is surely a given! That being said, to me it just looks like every other Porsche... Doesn't do anything for me unlike the i8.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #29
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Got to the L.A. auto show myself today. Unfortunately, with all the pleading I could muster, they weren't letting anyone inside the glass barrier, so my photos (not as good as the press photos) and drooling had to occur outside the railing. I asked why the doors weren't open (very sexy look), and was told they were worried people would try to stretch over the barrier to get interior pics and could fall or worse still, break the glass. Also couldn't convince them to open up the trunk, but did have it described by the BMW rep and it seemed adequate for a couple of carryon pieces of luggage.

DDK632, be sure to take a test drive in the i3, which you can do at the BMW i experience located on Figueroa in front of the convention center. I was very impressed with the fit and finish, and the ride quality. If the i8 is just as sweet, which I'm sure it will be, it will be a killer car. It's hard to wait til next year, but I'm sure it will all be worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #30
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Thanks @drlonline for your thoughts and tips - will definitely see about driving an i3. The Miami show 2 weeks ago had an i3 on display but it was locked and certainly no test drives.

My plan is to be there mid day to check out the show and come back towards closing when there are less crowds, then take hostages until they let me sit in the car. Just kidding but at least I should get some photos with less crowds that way

Trunk space sounds limited but with the back seat working as additional storage for a laptop/camera bag, it should be adequate for a road trip. Nice info, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #31
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Ok so I went to the show and I am in love with the i8, no surprise there.

She's gorgeous and has such immense presence. The lines are beautiful, the lights and turn signals, the mirrors, all are very nice details on this car.

I will post my photos tomorrow.

I also pleaded and didn't get them to open the door for me, but I did hang at the show until closing and got some shots without crowds in them since most everyone was gone!

Inga, the lady that apparently is the boss of the BMW exhibit at the show wouldn't budge. She said there are only 4 i8's in the US at the moment, and BMW isn't letting them open it up. Of course we know this isn't the case for the preshow press days from photos that have recently been posted.

Now here's the kicker -- both Inga and another person working there denied that the key fob with the screen on it which has been posted here is the key to the i8.

In fact, the guy per my request brought the i8 key out and it was very plain looking, exactly the same as the i3 key. I took a photo of it and will post.

Paging @Scott26 to address the final answer on the i8 key situation, who is misinformed?

EDIT - update - the key thing has been resolved and the key I was shown in LA was a temporary key, as confirmed by scott26 and the BMW I brand manager. See this thread for more info:
http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=922608

On another note, I got to test drive an i3 which was awesome and lots of fun - that thing is zippy! Will post pics in the i3 forum.

Additionally I really liked the X4 Concept on display.

For me the i8 stole the show and it's why I went.

I also found out that the i8 (not sure if it's the same white one or another one) will be on display at Art Basel in Miami, an art show running from Dec 4 through Dec 8, so if you're in Miami or South Florida and want to see the i8 in person, this will be your chance!

Last edited by ddk632; 12-17-2013 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #32
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Now here's the kicker -- both Inga and another person working there denied that the key fob with the screen on it which has been posted here is the key to the i8.

In fact, the guy per my request brought the i8 key out and it was very plain looking, exactly the same as the i3 key. I took a photo of it and will post.

Paging @Scott26 to address the final answer on the i8 key situation, who is misinformed?
Notice the trunk release button in the exact shape of the i8 on the "non-i8" key...and how the mileage/range matches the i8s. They would deny photos regardless of authenticity, since they haven't officially shown it off yet.

My guess is they haven't decided whether it's worth the cost to include a screen on the key if you already have a smartphone that could serve that purpose so they're not committing one way or another.

Last edited by Carac; 11-26-2013 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #33
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Glad you got to see the i8 and were as thrilled as I was to see it in person. It truly is a beautiful car. Very interesting to hear about the key fob and looking forward to your picture of it. The photo that has shown up online sure looks interesting, and represents some pretty slick photoshoping if it isn't real and was digitally created.

Agree with your assessment of the i3. Lots of fun to drive, and lots of zip. I have no trouble believing they may have sold out the initial allotment of cars for 2014.

Here's a video I found on Cars.com where one of their reviewers toured the i8 at the LA Auto Show. No new info here, but some interesting shots of the interior of the car.
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...-i8-video.html
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #34
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Here's the key fob that was shown to me for the i8. It had a paper tag on the key chain that read "i8" in handwriting (not shown).

BMW i8 Key Fob by ddk632, on Flickr

So hopefully this is a backup key or a temp/pre-production key, but 2 people at the show told me this is actually the production key.

EDIT - update - the key thing has been resolved and the key I was shown in LA was a temporary key, as confirmed by scott26 and the BMW I brand manager. See this thread for more info:

Last edited by ddk632; 12-17-2013 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #35
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Anyway regardless of which key ... she was beautiful to look at and see in person as mentioned previously, but the second best thing is photos -- I took a bunch and will post them all hopefully in the coming days. For now here's one of my favorites...

BMW i8 : LA Auto Show 2013 by ddk632, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #36
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Anyway regardless of which key ... she was beautiful to look at and see in person as mentioned previously, but the second best thing is photos -- I took a bunch and will post them all hopefully in the coming days. For now here's one of my favorites...

BMW i8 : LA Auto Show 2013 by ddk632, on Flickr
Nice photo. After seeing this shot and checking out your flickr page, it's obvious you're a photo pro. Very impressive work
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #37
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Nice photo. After seeing this shot and checking out your flickr page, it's obvious you're a photo pro. Very impressive work
Thank you. It's just a serious hobby
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #38
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's the key fob that was shown to me for the i8. It had a paper tag on the key chain that read "i8" in handwriting (not shown).

BMW i8 Key Fob by ddk632, on Flickr

So hopefully this is a backup key or a temp/pre-production key, but 2 people at the show told me this is actually the production key.

So I thought this was funny and might as well follow it up here. Since I went to the LA Auto Show and took the above photo of the now confirmed temporary and not the actual i8 key fob, the internet has found my photo and in 2 places, one on reddit and another on carscoops.com, my photo was referenced and used to doubt the authenticity of the actual real i8 key fob photo which Scott26 has posted.

I don't want to be a bearer of misinformation, and when I saw this photo get over 10,000 views in one day from reddit (that's a lot of views for a Flickr photo especially in one day - my most popular other photo only has 6,300 views or so and that's after a year! - I decided to comment on both of those places to let them know my photo is incorrect.

I've also updated the description on my Flickr, but here it is if anyone's interested to read the Reddit thread or Carscoops article referencing my i8 temporary key fob photo.

Kind of cool but I wish some better photo got popular, lol!

Here is the update from my Flickr page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by From my Flickr page
The key to the i8 at the LA AutoShow. I was hoping to see a different one.

Update:
I went to another event at the SLS Hotel in Miami and it was confirmed to me by the BMW i brand manager that this is, in fact, NOT the final production key fob to the i8. The final version can be seen in this Bimmerpost thread along with info I posted after attending that event.
Http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=922608

Thanks to Reddit member Blackether for posting a link to this image and reminding me that I need to update this info.

It was brought to my attention after I saw referrer info from this Reddit thread in my Flickr Pro account stats:
http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comment...or_the_bmw_i8/

Update 2:
So after the reddit thread came up, a car website, carscoops.com also found this photo and referenced it in a short article about the i8 key fob. I commented there as well to clear up the misconceptions! Man, this photo is making the rounds!

Here's the article on Carscoops.com where this photo is referenced:
http://www.carscoops.com/2013/12/bmw...it-may-be.html
Appreciate 0