BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

04-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #1
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW is considering killing the i3 and i8 programs

I've read this from multiple source over the past few months.
Here is another one:
https://electrek.co/2018/04/02/bmw-k...3-i8-programs/
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

I don't see this news as a threat or a big deal really.

The i3 was/is a concept car that you could actually buy. It was a tech test or several items and manufacturing processes; in the end, it worked.

The i3 shows that electric cars can work and be luxurious, yet practical for those of us in big cites with short to medium commutes.

It's light weight, quick, small on the outside, yet roomy. The exterior looks different, but isn't Prius or Leaf ugly. The interior is airy, forward thinking, and cool.

The i3 will pave the way for BMW electric cars over the next 20 years. So, think of the i3 as a pioneer car.

I personally feel part of the start of something great and I hope all i3 and i3s owners will feel this way as well.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 06:01 PM   #3
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I really love the form factor and light weight of the i3. I can honestly say an electric X1, X2, or X3 will not be a satisfactory replacement.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 10:50 PM   #4
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I really love the form factor and light weight of the i3. I can honestly say an electric X1, X2, or X3 will not be a satisfactory replacement.
Indeed.
If you saw the previews of i5, you'll quickly surmise that BMW has major Model S envy, and is focused on building a Model S competitor.
That would have been fine, but doing so at the expense of i3 form factor is a terminal turn-off for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
The i3 shows that electric cars can work and be luxurious, yet practical for those of us in big cites with short to medium commutes.

[...]The i3 will pave the way for BMW electric cars over the next 20 years. So, think of the i3 as a pioneer car.

I personally feel part of the start of something great and I hope all i3 and i3s owners will feel this way as well.
Everyone already knew what EVs were good for when i3 was launched, so I don't think BMW contributed anything to EV evangelism.
i8 did add sexiness to EV market, but not the i3.
BMW did throw a huge multi-billion bone to Quandt family's carbon-fiber manufacturing business, but otherwise, i3/i8 experiment was a near total write-off for BMW.

CF manufacturing approach did not scale.
BMW learned nothing about battery tech by outsourcing that to Samsung, and getting stuck waiting for Samsung's to ramp up LiIon density.
BMW did learn how to build EV motors in-house, and is now throwing those into 'hybrids' across its entire production line.
That's, at least, is something, but I have zero interest in over-priced ($10+K) hybrid options with 10-15 mile EV range.

And then there is the i5 SUV/cross-over prototype, that makes 5-series look small, nimble and elegant.
*sigh*.

Luckily, EV market had zoomed way past BMW's offerings, while Bavarians were napping, and is now full of attractively styled and priced alternatives.

I am almost certain my current (second) i3 will also be the last.

a

Last edited by afadeev; 04-16-2018 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Quote:
Indeed.
If you saw the previews of i5, you'll quickly surmise that BMW has major Model S envy, and is focused on building a Model S competitor.
That would have been fine, but doing so at the expense of i3 for factor, is a terminal turn-off for me.

Quote:

[...]The i3 will pave the way for BMW electric cars over the next 20 years. So, think of the i3 as a pioneer car.

Everyone already knew what EVs were good for when i3 was launched, so I don't think BMW contributed anything to EV evangelism.
BMW did throw a huge multi-billion bone to Quandt family's carbon-fiber manufacturing business, but otherwise, i3/i8 experiment was a near total write-off for BMW.

BMW learned nothing about battery tech by outsourcing that to Samsung, and getting stuck waiting for Samsung's to ramp up LiIon density.
BMW did learn how to build EV motors in-house, and is now throwing those into 'hybrids' across its entire production line.
That's, at least, is something, but I have zero interest in over-priced ($10+K) hybrid options with 10-15 mile EV range.

And then there is the i5 SUV/cross-over prototype, that makes 5-series look small, nimble and elegant.
*sigh*.

Luckily, EV market had zoomed way past BMW's offerings, while Bavarians were napping, and is now full of attractively styled and priced alternatives.

a
Think you may be shutting the door early on the CF manufacturing ramp up and integration.

Overall, I do understand the merits of many of your points.

I too, as do most others feel that the battery development has not kept pace with market, but that may show more of BMWs stubbornness in trying to market the i3 as a city car. Think in their limited scope of thought, they saw the i3 as a 7 series or ///M5 owner's second car as in a household with 3 cars for 2 drivers. Silly, but I think they convinced themselves that this was a real thing. Strangely, I fit into this category as the owner of a 911 and an X5 that the wife drives.

To BMW, they saw the i3 as a half cost Model S for half the usability of that car so to speak.

The car now has a faithful cult following, so now they've just continued for a few more years

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #6
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Indeed.
That would have been fine, but doing so at the expense of i3 for factor, is a terminal turn-off for me.

Quote:

*sigh*.

a
Think you may be shutting the door early on the CF manufacturing ramp up and integration.

I too, as do most others feel that the battery development has not kept pace with market, but that may show more of BMWs stubbornness in trying to market the i3 as a city car. Think in their limited scope of thought, they saw the i3 as a 7 series or ///M5 owner's second car as in a household with 3 cars for 2 drivers. Silly, but I think they convinced themselves that this was a real thing. Strangely, I fit into this category as the owner of a 911 and an X5 that the wife drives.

To BMW, they saw the i3 as a half cost Model S for half the usability of that car so to speak.

The car now has a faithful cult following, so now they've just continued for a few more years
The i3 is one of 4 cars in our two driver household. It also gets he most use doubling as my commuter car, and around the town family hauler. However, as much as I enjoy sitting in an i3 exponentially more than a Bolt, Volt, Leaf etc, not too many people are looking for a $40-50k electric car that's more about a niche style execution rather than range.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 05:32 PM   #7
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Indeed.

Quote:

*sigh*.

a

The i3 is one of 4 cars in our two driver household. It also gets he most use doubling as my commuter car, and around the town family hauler. However, as much as I enjoy sitting in an i3 exponentially more than a Bolt, Volt, Leaf etc, not too many people are looking for a $40-50k electric car that's more about a niche style execution rather than range.
You're right on that point of range, but what do "most" people know, really?

Most people drive FWD cars and crappy SUVs from Kia or Tahoes. I don't take much stock in the opinions or rationalizations of most people.

Fact is, the i3 is a forward thinking technology marvel minus the battery, and is a road worthy concept car make of carbon fiber.

The construction alone, RWD, and overall quality make it worth the price. Plus, you're not paying full sticker anyway. Mine was about $15K off MSRP.

Appreciate 1
jmg18493.00
      04-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #8
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Indeed.

Quote:

*sigh*.

a

You're right on that point of range, but what do "most" people know, really?

Most people drive FWD cars and crappy SUVs from Kia or Tahoes. I don't take much stock in the opinions or rationalizations of most people.

Fact is, the i3 is a forward thinking technology marvel minus the battery, and is a road worthy concept car make of carbon fiber.

The construction alone, RWD, and overall quality make it worth the price. Plus, you're not paying full sticker anyway. Mine was about $15K off MSRP.
Agreed. At $15k off, you are in Bolt territory. What the i3 sacrifices in range it makes up for the overall driving experience. Imagine if the battery had even just 50 more miles of range? What a car!

Appreciate 1
      05-22-2018, 12:09 PM   #9
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. At $15k off, you are in Bolt territory. What the i3 sacrifices in range it makes up for the overall driving experience. Imagine if the battery had even just 50 more miles of range? What a car!
Frankly, I would not pay a penny more for more range. Here is why.

I was on an EV panel earlier this year (details under NDA), but they asked this very same question - what is your optimal desired EV range?

I thought for a few minutes before answering, and realized that my hold-up with EVs as full-fledged ICE replacements is not due to shorter range, but mostly due to the time it takes to recharge/re-up the range. I've never bothered to check what my range is on ICE cars, because refilling them is quick and ubiquitous. Can I go 300 miles on 1 tan of gas? 400 miles? 500? miles?
--> I really don't care.

If EV cars start delivering similar recharge turn-around times, I would likely prefer lighter/cheaper EV car with smaller batteries. Paying up for larger EV batteries and larding up the handling of EVs is a temporary necessary evil to obfuscate painfully long recharging cycles.

So my answer to the EV panel was: Focus on the range is misleading; focus on ubiquitous rechargeability is what's important to me.

a

Last edited by afadeev; 05-22-2018 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 2
jmg18493.00
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      05-22-2018, 01:08 PM   #10
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

I was on an EV panel earlier this year (details under NDA), but they asked this very same question - what is your optimal desired EV range?

I thought for a few minutes before answering, and realized that my hold-up with EVs as full-fledged ICE replacements is not due to shorter range, but mostly due to the time it takes to recharge/re-up the range. I've never bothered to check what my range is on ICE cars, because refilling them is quick and ubiquitous. Can I go 300 miles on 1 tan of gas? 400 miles? 500? miles?
--> I really don't care.

If EV cars start delivering similar recharge turn-around times, I would likely prefer lighter/cheaper EV car with smaller batteries. Paying up for larger EV batteries and larding up the handling of EVs is a temporary necessary evil to obfuscate painfully long recharging cycles.

To my answer to the EV panel was: Focus on the range is misleading; focus on ubiquitous rechargeability is what's important to me.

a
Very true. I can attest to this merely from the perspective of having a REx. If I don't have time to charge, I merely put 2 gal in for 80 more miles. If I could get another 80 miles in say, 5 min, the time it takes to take a piss, then I wouldn't mind a smaller range.

I was asked to be a part of an EV panel last month, but I could not attend since I was out of town. How was it?

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

--> I really don't care.

To my answer to the EV panel was: Focus on the range is misleading; focus on ubiquitous rechargeability is what's important to me.

a
Excellent point here. For example, my i3s easily goes about 125 miles in the city now that it's warm out. My ceramic tint allows me to keep my AC on Auto level 2 even in 90 degrees.

I don't need to charge daily due to a short commute, so the range is fine for my needs as is. As jmg pointed to earlier, another 50 miles would allow me to park the X5 for a few out of state trips just for fun, but still not a big deal.

If we could fully charge in 30-45 mins, think that would be a sweet spot using lithium Ion. Faster than that would cause me to worry about heating, so I'd need the power source to be of another material at that point, which I hear is being developed now.

To totally phase out the ICE in SUVs would be where Americans would need to see range in the 350 mile area. An X5 with 350 miles of EV range would be killer.

For example, my wife is now seriously considering a Model X for next year.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 06:05 PM   #12
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I was asked to be a part of an EV panel last month, but I could not attend since I was out of town. How was it?
I did a few over the past year, last one was a few months ago.
Group ones are more fun. Ones that show prototype cars and ask you to comment are also fun.
I got called up for one earlier this month, but could not make it work with my schedule.

The one I did last was a 1-on-1 interview format, again, due to scheduling conflicts. It was OK. More in-depth, thoughtful questions and responses, so probably better for the people who pay for the study. But less fun as a participant.

a
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #13
baldyloxx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3Rex

I got an invite from JD Power as well to be on a panel.. Unfortunately I work in the industry.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 12:50 AM   #14
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Quote:
Indeed.
That would have been fine, but doing so at the expense of i3 form factor is a terminal turn-off for me.

Quote:

*sigh*.

a
All this and the charging network is a joke.

BMW has done little to help grow the charge plug standard they chose.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 03:00 AM   #15
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Indeed.

Quote:

*sigh*.

a

The EVGO and ChargePoint are the largest in the LA area. They chose the right network, it's just that the network isn't growing fast enough for demand, despite still being the most plentiful. Had they chose another one, we'd be worse off. With Tesla having their own exclusive network, it just bastardizes growth.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 03:19 AM   #16
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Indeed.

Quote:

*sigh*.

a

The EVGO and ChargePoint are the largest in the LA area. They chose the right network, it's just that the network isn't growing fast enough for demand, despite still being the most plentiful. Had they chose another one, we'd be worse off. With Tesla having their own exclusive network, it just bastardizes growth.
Maybe in.California your blessed with plentiful CCS Combo plugs but otherwise it's horrible elsewhere.

ChaDEmo has CCS beat in most cases. I look at plugshare and it's crazy how little there's been growth.
Appreciate 0