BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-19-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
HustlerX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E93

Headed to Burger Tuning tomorrow...

Just let go of my M4 on Friday and picked up an i8 at New Century BMW Now I'm heading to Burger Tuning tomorrow (short drive up the 118 for me) so Terry and his guys can take a look and see if hopefully the B38 tune is same/similar and fits. Will keep you guys posted!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #2
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Let me know what they offer you. I was talking to Sal over at ACM East and they now have a ECU tune for the i8 which I am thinking of doing.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
HustlerX5
Private First Class
Rep

I'll keep you guys posted on what they find tomorrow. Does ACM east have a website? Hadn't heard of them before
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #4
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlerX5
I'll keep you guys posted on what they find tomorrow. Does ACM east have a website? Hadn't heard of them before
Sorry, I used ACM for short. It's AutoCouture Motoring. East as in their shop here on the east coast in New Jersey. They have West for their shop in California. They are pretty well known in the BMW community here. www.autocouturemotoring.com/

Ask for Sal, he is the owner and tell him Danny from Circle BMW referred you.

Last edited by Ghetto2315; 09-20-2016 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 03:17 AM   #5
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Congrats, for a faction of fraction of the second I misread you were heading to Burger King when browsing the forum's main view
      09-20-2016, 07:36 AM   #6
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Good luck with everything. I was going to drive up to see Terry back in August to see what he could do but I ended up having a conflict.

Terry was pretty sure he could do something. I'm looking forward to your results.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 08:01 AM   #7
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Does Burger Tuning only offer piggyback tunes? I know that when I had my M4, all they offered was their JB4 piggyback tune. It was good for the price but nowhere near the full potential when it comes to complete performance gains of a full ECU tune. I'm curious to see what Burger has as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 05:48 PM   #8
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315
Does Burger Tuning only offer piggyback tunes? I know that when I had my M4, all they offered was their JB4 piggyback tune. It was good for the price but nowhere near the full potential when it comes to complete performance gains of a full ECU tune. I'm curious to see what Burger has as well.
BMS offers piggybacks.

Usually I would prefer a flash tune. In this case, my goal is to create a linear boost curve (increases with rpm) and that can be done with the BMS tools. So I have been thinking about this for some time.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #9
HustlerX5
Private First Class
Rep

It's a piggyback, I've got the prototype for the stage 1 on the car now. It takes one plug and that's pretty much it if I'm not mistaken. Which is awesome because unlike the flash tune, you simply disconnect and the dealer can't tell since the ECU doesn't need to be removed and tampered with As far as power gains no tests were done yet, however I did do some pulls with my cousin's M4 on the highway and we are pretty dead even, when the roll starts i8 almost always jumps, then M4 seems like it is reeling it in but when the i8 switches gears it slightly pulls again. I'd say almost dead even from 60-120 or maybe a bit less mph. New i8, hasn't even passed break in. M4 has brand new Super Sport tires, stock. M4 had one passenger, I didn't, I'll try to upload one of the videos. Did pulls before tune with another M4 on the highway and it would put a couple of car lengths on me from 60-110. Will keep you guys updated as I get more info. I also have pics that I'll try to upload as soon as I get the chance.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #10
HustlerX5
Private First Class
Rep

I should add that the butt dyno is very happy, the pull at higher RPM's is very noticeable. Specially when the car is cold/weather is cooler. Also the dealer knows when you've messed with the car, new century called me to notify that a check engine had come up on their system and they were notified. I told them it did but I pulled over and turned the car on and off, guy on the phone said that tends to happen some times with all BMW's, and that if i needed anything to call back. Big brother is watching... lol good thing I can unplug.
Appreciate 2
      09-20-2016, 09:04 PM   #11
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
I should add that the butt dyno is very happy, the pull at higher RPM's is very noticeable. Specially when the car is cold/weather is cooler. Also the dealer knows when you've messed with the car, new century called me to notify that a check engine had come up on their system and they were notified. I told them it did but I pulled over and turned the car on and off, guy on the phone said that tends to happen some times with all BMW's, and that if i needed anything to call back. Big brother is watching... lol good thing I can unplug.
Yup good thing it can unplug. Thanks for the info looking forward to videos and pics.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #12
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Anything on the lower end? Does Burger intend to do further testing and remap specific to i8 or just sell it as is?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 12:46 AM   #13
HustlerX5
Private First Class
Rep

Couldn't figure out how to upload, so I made a Flickr account so you guys can see how easy it is to get this thing in.

ICU Engine Cover needs to be removed

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/147310...3/29744519001/

Here's Terry sliding it off, removes very easily

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/147310...3/29201065963/

Pic of the engine bay once JB1 is installed

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/147310...3/29199956924/

Close up of single plug that connects to JB1 (There's numerous wires because he's using an already existing unit that needs to be modified, however as of now only one plug is necessary)

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/147310...3/29199956924/

Close up of JB1 zip tied behind the air box.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/147310...3/29744551781/

On a side note I really hope one of the existing mini B38 air intake/cold air box fits in our i8's, it'd be awesome to get some more sound out of this thing.

Last edited by HustlerX5; 09-21-2016 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 12:50 AM   #14
HustlerX5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
Yup good thing it can unplug. Thanks for the info looking forward to videos and pics.
No problem man, here's a video of one of the pulls we did. Our camera guy took like 5 but he somehow managed to not record them all in full except for this one:

Which also sucked but hey we tried lol. Will do more, a nice long pull hopefully whenever I get a chance to catch my cousin around, hopefully this week.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2016, 12:55 AM   #15
HustlerX5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
Anything on the lower end? Does Burger intend to do further testing and remap specific to i8 or just sell it as is?
Lower end feels good too, more specifically I can feel more of a difference starting in second gear from any RPM and up. In sport mode that is, comfort feels normal until you floor it, eco feels the same as it usually does. There is no problem with the two engines working together/ communicating as far as I can tell so far. Speaking to the owner Terry he said he wants me to drive it for a while and make sure no fault codes turn up and the car runs good, before further testing, remaps, hopefully a JB4 I don't mind being the test dummy, and I drive the sh*t out of my cars so rest assured guys if there's something wrong here I will find it lol.

Last edited by HustlerX5; 09-21-2016 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2016, 03:30 AM   #16
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

Quote:
Just curious as to what's the reason to keep it so secret from your dealer?

Also, keep us updated! I would absolutely consider ordering this in the coming year, once you've tested it fully for us
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 07:57 AM   #17
HustlerX5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post

Also, keep us updated! I would absolutely consider ordering this in the coming year, once you've tested it fully for us
Any tune would void the warranty. With a flash tune they remove the ecu, open it up, modify it, then put it back. So if the dealer really looked deep into it, you'd be in some trouble. With the BMS tunes it's a piggyback meaning you can just unplug it before going to the dealer and they wouldn't be able to tell. You can checkout their products here: http://burgertuning.com

Yeah no problem, I'll keep you guys updated as I have more news.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #18
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlerX5 View Post
Any tune would void the warranty. With a flash tune they remove the ecu, open it up, modify it, then put it back. So if the dealer really looked deep into it, you'd be in some trouble. With the BMS tunes it's a piggyback meaning you can just unplug it before going to the dealer and they wouldn't be able to tell. You can checkout their products here: http://burgertuning.com

Thanks for the updates. I might work with Terry on this. One note, once you bring the car into the dealer they will already know you tuned the motor. There is a black box that have already recorded out of range boost and torque parameters.
a couple others
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #19
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

Quote:
Quote:

As far as I understand it, no auto manufacturer can automatically void your warranty because of a tune. They can however, deny a claim if a part you modified has issues as a result of your tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #20
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07
Quote:
Quote:

As far as I understand it, no auto manufacturer can automatically void your warranty because of a tune. They can however, deny a claim if a part you modified has issues as a result of your tune.
This is correct.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 10:05 AM   #21
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlerX5 View Post

Thanks for the updates. I might work with Terry on this. One note, once you bring the car into the dealer they will already know you tuned the motor. There is a black box that have already recorded out of range boost and torque parameters.
True, but lucky for us no dealership would dare void a warranty for a mod that was not in the car at the time of diagnostics. It's simply too much of a headache for them. I've seen a few cars get flagged because of piggyback tunes and in 100% of the cases the owner left the box visible in the engine bay before the shop even began the process of flagging the car which in my experience even includes taking pictures of said modification as proof for BMW NA.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 10:30 AM   #22
HustlerX5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
True, but lucky for us no dealership would dare void a warranty for a mod that was not in the car at the time of diagnostics. It's simply too much of a headache for them. I've seen a few cars get flagged because of piggyback tunes and in 100% of the cases the owner left the box visible in the engine bay before the shop even began the process of flagging the car which in my experience even includes taking pictures of said modification as proof for BMW NA.
My thoughts exactly. I've heard of the "black box" before too, but have never heard of any dealer going so far on any forum members car, not yet at least.

BTW guys I still haven't had any issues after spending 4 days with this thing. As of now I absolutely would not go back to stock. Unlike my M4 where traction starts becoming a serious issue after adding power, in the i8 it just makes it that much more fun. I really hope Terry decides to move forward with JB4, that would be awesome.
Appreciate 0