bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

The BMW i8: From Vision to Reality

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Four years ago BMW unveiled the Vision EffecientDynamics, and said that it would go into production. I am sure many of us laughed and said, "Yeah, right" and then proceeded to laugh some more. Well, after looking at this comparison, I would say BMW kept there word for the most part. There are some differences at the back, but I think the production version looks better. In my opinion, the VED looked a bit too fragile in the rear. Anyway, what do you all think? Is it close enough to the vision? Or has that lost "10%" made the production version loose its sparkle?
Attached Images

Last edited by bimmerjph; 09-12-2013 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Personally I am quite amazed at how close it is to the concept.

It was an obvious conclusion that we'd lose the glass doors. The few extra design elements that were lost at the back, looking at the comparison above, now they look like extra flair, in a way the production rear looks more solid and less like a sculpture. The shape of the rear lights has stayed true to form even though the implementation is different, but looks great.

And yes there are those who lament the loss of the angel eyes from the concept, but the stacked angel eyes in the production version (not shown above but I attached here to show what I am referring to) are unique and I think look great.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0