Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW ConnectedDrive and BMW i3 to be Showcased at 2014 CES

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW ConnectedDrive and BMW i3 to be Showcased at 2014 CES
COMMENTS
Name:  Screen Shot 2013-12-23 at 10.27.23 PM.jpg
Views: 4480
Size:  177.4 KB

The BMW Group to Showcase ConnectedDrive and BMW i3 at 2014 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas

December 24, 2013

Early Test Drives of the BMW i3 to Take Place in Conjunction with Consumer Electronics Show.

The BMW Group will showcase BMW ConnectedDrive and announce its future plans for highly automated driving at the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show at the Las Vegas Convention Center (3150 Paradise Road. Las Vegas, NV 89109). BMW representatives will be available for interviews from 10:00a.m. PST on Tuesday, January 7 until 12:00p.m. PST on Thursday, January 9. In addition, BMW will feature the all-electric BMW i3.

BMW ConnectedDrive focuses on the link between the driver, vehicle and outside world through the use of an expanding range of assistance systems, as well as infotainment and entertainment features. BMW ConnectedDrive Driver Assistance systems include navigation and traffic assistance and concierge services, creating an enjoyable driving experience. Through the BMW i Remote app, drivers can share information with the vehicle at any time via their smartphone, including the amount of charge on a BMW vehicle. The Apps for Automotive technology by BMW enables drivers to use smartphone applications to connect with the car and provides the opportunity to dictate and send text messages via voice or text. In addition, with BMW ConnectedDrive, entertainment options can easily be controlled and explored without distraction.

At CES 2014, the BMW Group will reveal details of its current research and development project for highly automated driving, which is designed to increase safety, comfort and efficiency for the driver and traffic system.

A collaboration taking place at CES between the BMW Group and a leader in the consumer electronics industry will also be announced.

The BMW i3 is the first fully electric vehicle from BMW Group under the BMW i brand’s growing lineup of visionary concept vehicles constructed from the ground up primarily from lightweight carbon fiber. With an electric motor of 110 lbs delivering 170 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque, the BMW i3 is electrified by a 22-kWh lithium-ion battery good for 80-100 miles of emission-free driving. It offers an interior space comparable to the legendary BMW 3 Series on a shorter overall body. Ideally suited for driving in dense urban areas, the BMW i3, with its low 32.3-foot turning circle and relatively long wheelbase, is both agile and engaging. The BMW i3 will be available in 2014 Q2 at a base MSRP of $41,350 and the range-extender model will have a starting MSRP of $45,200 (excludes Destination & Handling fee).

In conjunction with the Consumer Electronics Show, test drives of the BMW i3 will take place on Tuesday, January 7 through Friday, January 10 at Silver Lot 3. The lot will be open to media on January 7 from 10:00a.m. – 4:30p.m., on January 8 from 9:00a.m. – 4:30p.m., January 9 from 9:00a.m. – 4:30p.m. and January 10 from 9:00a.m. – 3:00p.m. Test drives will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
nsousa
Rep
Drives: 135i

let me guess !...Hmm AAAPPPPLLLLEEE !
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Also worth a mention, the Crystal White i8 which was featured at the LA Auto Show and during Art Basel in Miami will also be at CES.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

I fail to see the need to have facebook and twitter integration... Cars are for driving not social networking. No matter how automated the process this is an unnecessary distraction, regardless of how cool, advanced or apple-like it is.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsousa View Post
let me guess !...Hmm AAAPPPPLLLLEEE !
LOL, fingers crossed!

Does anyone know what the concierge service currently entails? How much is it?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
professor_yo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw
I fail to see the need to have facebook and twitter integration... Cars are for driving not social networking. No matter how automated the process this is an unnecessary distraction, regardless of how cool, advanced or apple-like it is.
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
asikne
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118i M-sport

There is really need a Shazam!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
If you own a BMW, you already own a phone.

I own both, but do not have a facebook, nor twitter account. I wish BMW would spend their resources on things that matter to DRIVING. I don't want a computer screen in my car, just Nav.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
samer670
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i

Once they add Spotify support for apps and the M4 is released my BMW experience will be complete.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
Btyler227
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by samer670 View Post
Once they add Spotify support for apps and the M4 is released my BMW experience will be complete.
Get out of my head!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

I personally think BMW is going a little to far for what they were intended to do. I bet you there are going to be soooo many cases against bmw for driving while on facebook, and the driver was distracted and had an accident...BMW should focus on keeping the Navigation state of the art, but honestly all these apps are going to distract people when they drive. And if it can only be accessed in Park, ALL OF US HERE KNOW, CODING CAN TAKE CARE OF THAT and people are going to be browsing there facebook and updating there status while being on the highway.... They should stick with the actual BMW driving experience or put some more research and devolopment in to there fuel system and injectors lol
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic786 View Post
I personally think BMW is going a little to far for what they were intended to do. I bet you there are going to be soooo many cases against bmw for driving while on facebook, and the driver was distracted and had an accident...BMW should focus on keeping the Navigation state of the art, but honestly all these apps are going to distract people when they drive. And if it can only be accessed in Park, ALL OF US HERE KNOW, CODING CAN TAKE CARE OF THAT and people are going to be browsing there facebook and updating there status while being on the highway.... They should stick with the actual BMW driving experience or put some more research and devolopment in to there fuel system and injectors lol
I see what you're saying, but I think it's important to point out that most average buyers of a BMW (i.e., those not likely to participate in enthusiast forums) have no clue about coding and just do what the car lets them do.

One can make the same argument for DVD In Motion, which allows to watch movies on the front screen while driving in a variety of cars, BMW and MB included. It's possible to drive while watching a movie, essentially done by coding, and be distracted.

So I'd say for the vast majority of people, if the car only let's you use a feature while in P mode, then that's how it will get used. We're not the norm here.

On another note, I have no idea what most of these apps are. I enjoy the Pandora integration and I think the next most useful BMW app would be Spotify. The rest I can't even comment or figure out. Some of the BMW apps like connected drive are cool but again, sort of gimmicky. I mean, how often does one really, actually need to remotely honk the horn?

Pandora is the only BMW app I consistently use.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

FWIW, in the US, in many (nearly all?) states, it's illegal to have a movie playing where it is visible to the driver while in motion. I think it may have been M-B that used a polarizer, which made it only visible to the passenger while in motion, while the driver saw the normal screen.

I agree, there are too many distractions. Even talking handsfree, which is legal most anywhere, is more than many people can safely handle in a complex situation. While we all like to think we can multi-task, most of that is just delusion...the act of driving can become routine, and distractions may not be a big problem, but it quickly can become fatal if something out of the routine occurs...personally, if I were in law enforcement, I'd drop the biggest ticket I could on anyone that had a movie showing on the front screen while in motion. It's like a ticking time-bomb...and, you don't know how long before it goes off.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 03:08 AM   #14
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

I'm buying a car, not Playstation VI )
besides, entertainment electronics are totally antiquated in 3 years...dump the car?
and where to get replacement parts for this Playstation in 10 years?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

BMW ConnectedDrive will showcase autonomous technology as it is a precursor for new technology in the next generation BMW 7er.

Do not be under the illusion that this becomes Self Driving Pleasure as the technology is there to assist not to hinder. Some of the latest technology being developed for the new 7er will allow for autonomous purpose such as park assist which is already available and other areas such as cruise control , lane departure and even self park.

Also being shown is new augmented reality HUD which will assist with automated driving. The new 7er will benefit from driver and passenger HUD with all information available to the driver with social , entertainment and navigation available to the passenger.

Autonomous Drive will not detract from actually getting behind the wheel, after all a car is still meant to be driven and
Automated driving will have its uses in certain situations but I am old school I prefer to hold a wheel , I even enjoy the thrill of a reverse park rather than let somebody else do the work like Parking assist.

The new 7er will have automated functions but nothing to remove the actual feeling of getting behind the wheel for the owner.

Automated driving can and will have its uses but my biggest concern is that we see more of this if cars become automated. And that is more selfies behind the wheel and as you can see proving as stupid and vacuous like the rest of the coven of photoshopped hobbits this is how they drive.

I despise anybody who is given a platform to vilify education , learning and industry.
Attached Images