Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilum View Post
TBH, on the whole, I quite like the interior it's modern yet not too futuristic where it would like you were driving a wannabe space-ship!
I agree with you that some of the plastics used and some other aspects of the car aren't of great quality, and hence don't have a feel premium feel.
However (and I know I'm probably going to p*ss off quite a few BMW owners here by saying this LOL), BMW have never really used particularly high quality materials (wrt the non-load bearing items) in their cars. I was in a new M6 the other day, as well as the new X5, and also the X6, and the materials are poor in them too TBH, despite all of the cars I was in costing $100k+!

Audi are the same TBH. I was in an R8 GT Spyder a few months back, and even then I mentioned how poor the quality of the trim was! Porsche also do it to a certain extent, by using cheap nasty plastic in their indicator / wiper controller stalks, even in their c. $200k 911 Turbos!
Which brand/car would you recommend with great interior quality?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #24
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
I am really impressed with the poor quality interior of this car. A vw polo has better quality plastics. Using the idrive controller from a 20k 116i on a 100k + flagship sports car would be a big no no for me. The climate control panel looks like an 80's aftermarket cd player. terrible. I would get an m5 - more power, better sound, better quality and spend the rest on an i3.
So you want BMW to spend millions on a new entertainment system just for a limited production i8? Are u willing to pay thousands if not tens of thousands for a navigation system on a car that is relatively reasonably priced for its class?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #25
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thank you for the details and all the photos you posted!
It seems that my perception in regards with this car is correct: the materials used are very cheap for this car.
I have made in a previous thread some comments in regards with this vehicle, the way the rubber seals look like, the cupholder as well, etc., and your pictures just convinced me that this car doesn't worth the money.
It seems that BMW relies on the WOW factor induced by the exterior design and for the rest of the vehicle... God bless...

Scott was replying that the vehicle is not cheap and it doesn't look cheap. Oh well, I have a wide experience with cars and materials and I can tell for sure that the materials used in this vehicle are very cheap and disappointing. The car can be as wow as possible, for me it is extremely important to feel and touch the quality inside, not to wow the people outside. Now that I saw quite some of it, it doesn't spark any interest for me anymore. I will most likely buy an M and have money left for something else too.

I strongly believe that BMW is losing some touch in many aspects, I am absolutely shocked to see the technical aproach chosen to connect some components and pieces. In a century when everybody is trying to excel and take away visual disturbing pieces by connecting them smoothly and using different techniques to put them together so they can visualy flow, BMW is choosing to dissapoint inside.

I will love to work with them and point some things that really matters for the customer. There are some gaps, fit and finish issues and materials that should be out of question when we talk about a such car that not only has a certain price, but it sends out a certain message.

What is more disappointing is the fact that BMW does not see certain things, you can not rely solely on your name and badge, the others simply don't sleep, the image and perception of a brand is hard to build and easy to loose.

I think this car is like a gigolo: it is beautiful outside, but is very dissapointing inside.

Last edited by Teutonic; 04-21-2014 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #26
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
I am really impressed with the poor quality interior of this car. A vw polo has better quality plastics. Using the idrive controller from a 20k 116i on a 100k + flagship sports car would be a big no no for me. The climate control panel looks like an 80's aftermarket cd player. terrible. I would get an m5 - more power, better sound, better quality and spend the rest on an i3.
its eco friendly thats why it uses different materials
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #27
forrests
Rep
Drives: i8

Tilum, today safety features like blind spot monitoring W/ active assist and other radar based systems are pretty much standard features on new cars. Many other new generation features are also available on new cars.
The killer for me is the lack of the BLS monitoring (even without assist). It has proven very valuable in my new cars and I have vowed not to buy a new car without it.
So to me, now anyway, this is a deal breaker.
I'm sure that the next generation will have it!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #28
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
I think people are losing sight of what this is. A carbon fiber passenger tub, carbon fiber body, plug in hybrid (electric motors and batteries aren't cheap), HUD, camera cruise, collision mitigation, etc, etc for a little more than a well loaded M6. The interior looks like typical BMW, which is just fine by me.

What most of you want would have put this car well above $200k, which (at the risk of sounding elitest) would have put it even more out of the price range of some people complaining about it. An inflation adjusted Z8 would have sticked for $170k these days, and the i8 is way more exotic in materials and design.

Long story, short. The interior is fine to me and even better when you realize where the rest of the budget went.

Last edited by Carac; 04-21-2014 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #29
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro
Quote:
its eco friendly thats why it uses different materials
Lol thats priceless. so by using that logic than the m6 is eco too. afterall it uses the same idrive control, electric window buttons, etc. My friend, do not mistake "cost cutting for higher profit at the expense of loyal customers" for eco friendly. simple's
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #30
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
I think people are losing sight of what this is. A carbon fiber passenger tub, carbon fiber body, plug in hybrid (electric motors and batteries aren't cheap), HUD, camera cruise, collision mitigation, etc, etc for a little less than a well loaded M6. The interior looks like typical BMW, which is just fine by me.

What most of you want would have put this car well above $200k, which (at the risk of sounding elitest) would have put it even more out of the price range of some people complaining about it. An inflation adjusted Z8 would have sticked for $170k these days, and the i8 is way more exotic in materials and design.

Long story, short. The interior is fine to me and even better when you realize where the rest of the budget went.
I think you are losing the ideea.
First, it is far from typical BMW quality. There are cars in the line up with better materials. I guess, you can not tell the difference. Even the OP is pointing out some aspects, obviously it is not typical.
Second, the plastic can be a different quality (what price increase can be?), the rubber seals can flow to meet the next piece not stop 5 mm before (that will require attention to detail not money since is already fabricated), the seats can have a different material which will fit a such car, the headliner can have a different quality, the cupholder can have a different design and a different technical aproach, the back seats can be properly done and fabricated without having wrinkles and a weird line, the inside pieces can be put together in a more subtle way than using obvious push pins. Even if i take those seats and have the custom made at a local shop will not cost me more than 3k; this without having BMW equipment and workpower. You are really exagerating in many aspects. When I spend a 140,000, I will gladily spend 10 more for a proper material.
This car does not address to the 30,000 buyer, so I strongly believe it is not about the price, it is just lack of attention to detail.
Did the money get in the technology? I think this is just a poor excuse, don't worry, they do have their profit.
However, would you buy a nice exterior super expensive house with some terrible floors, poor material kitchen cabinets and cheap windows?

Last edited by Teutonic; 04-21-2014 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #31
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
I think you are losing the ideea.
First, it is far from typical BMW quality. There are cars in the line up with better materials. I guess, you can not tell the difference.
No. I cannot definitively judge the quality, texture, feel, and value of something via pictures on the internet. But they look like buttons from any BMW made in the past decade...with different symbols and text like "eDrive".

Anyway, while everyone hates on a car they haven't had first hand exposure to, I'll keep an open mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #32
X3paul
Banned
Rep

I have 2 theories. both could be right. like eps, bmw was trying to introduce a new mass tech(yes the 1st gen z4 had it allready) in its lineup before anyone else and did not have time to make it right (unlike porsche that waited to create an excellent eps b4 putting it in the market) second bmw simply cant compete with the vw group. due to component crossing between brands in the vw group they can reduce cost and improve quality yet keeping profit. But I think bmw got this wrong. I had 100k in the bank for this car. went to frankfurt 4 or 5 years ago just to see it. when I saw the glass front headlamps instead of the stunning glasseless one on the concept and the interior quality I put a deposit on an i3 - 3 weeks to delivery - and Im waiting for an m3 test drive to decide between it (weights less but again poor interior) or the m5 (fat ass but incredible interior specially with B&O sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #33
Manbnda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 AW

BMW deserves great respect and admiration for this car.
We have been following the i8 since the beginning and sure it's not perfect. But thanks to BMW we are one step closer to those science fiction cars we all have seen in movies.
Good job to BWM for actually making a concept car true. The i8 is one sexy hell of a car.
I bet it will "wow" girls in a whole different way than any other super car.

Last edited by Manbnda; 04-21-2014 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #34
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No. I cannot definitively judge the quality, texture, feel, and value of something via pictures on the internet. But they look like buttons from any BMW made in the past decade...with different symbols and text like "eDrive".

Anyway, while everyone hates on a car they haven't had first hand exposure to, I'll keep an open mind.
I am keeping my mind open as well...
BUT
A picture worth a thousand words right?
This is the vehicle that was presented at NYIAS !
I strongly believe that this is outrageous for a such car, at a such price that tries to put out a certain image.
Attached Images

Last edited by Teutonic; 04-21-2014 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #35
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I think you might be nit-picking, just a little bit. The cupholder is the biggest eyesore. All that other stuff, I think you'll find in many cars no matter what the price, except maybe a Pagani where everything is handmade and meticulous.

Also keep in mind BMW has something like 4 i8's in the US that it shleps from city to city for major and minor events. They get craned into places, put on the grass outdoors, indoors, etc. While they should clean the car, it's not unreasonable to find some mud/dirt underneath the car; it's not really brand new in the sense that it was put on a truck and send straight to NYIAS in bubblewrap.

The rear cupholder is the biggest most glaring oversight in my opinion.

The plastic seatbacks, while I said earlier could have been carbon, that would have definitely raised the price of the car a notable amount.

Last edited by ddk632; 04-21-2014 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #36
X3paul
Banned
Rep

He better be nit picking. He's paying for a car that costs as much as a flat!! wouldnt you? I think I made my point and hate to keep this up, but this car's interior is embarrassing to the brand, let alone a luxury brand. Case and point. this is merc's V classic, luxury ford transit. look at this interior. look at its individually made idrive controler or the headlights switch, electric window, the electric park, etc. this interior puts to shame a 3 ser let alone a 100k halo sportscar. embarrassing
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #37
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
I am keeping my mind open as well...
BUT
A picture worth a thousand words right?
This is the vehicle that was presented at NYIAS !
I strongly believe that this is outrageous for a such car, at a such price that tries to put out a certain image.
That appears to be a cutout in the bottom for either demonstration purposes or ease of access on the prototype, or a removed panel. With aerodynamics being a top priority, I doubt they would leave a big unfinished hole in one of the most important areas for air flow. Also notice that this appears to be a cleaned up test example. Signs of salt residue around seals, "fuel" filler flap. If that area on the bottom wasn't normally covered it would be in a lot worse shape under there.

Also, these are preproduction examples/prototypes so the final tooling, tolerances, fit & finish weren't complete when they were made. I personally don't have any problems with the things you've listed so I'll withhold judgement until I get a chance to sit in the one I order when it arrives in July (barring delays). I doubt I will but I have the option of passing and getting my deposit back...but that probably won't be necessary. I have driven and owned cars with a higher sticker than the i8 with more glaring issues than the ones you point to. It's hard to make the "worth my money" call until you've had a chance to sit in, drive, and experience a car. For instance, it's really easy for me to say a 918 could never be worth the $850k+ they're asking without ever experiencing it. It might be worth every penny...and so might the i8.

Last edited by Carac; 04-21-2014 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #38
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He better be nit picking. He's paying for a car that costs as much as a flat!! wouldnt you?
No, I wouldn't, not to that extent anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #39
samer670
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i

I'm intrigued by that camera on the front bumper. I wonder of it will be used as a parking assistance feature to give us a true front view to avoid scraping the bumper on a curb.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #40
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by samer670 View Post
I'm intrigued by that camera on the front bumper. I wonder of it will be used as a parking assistance feature to give us a true front view to avoid scraping the bumper on a curb.
It appears to do the surround camera "top-down" view you get in some other models when parking.

And just for the record. A friend on the west coast that works for a BMW dealer says someone just agreed to paying $250k for their first i8...thankfully my dealer says they have never and will never ask for over sticker on a new car (and I have it in writing with my deposit).
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #41
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Please remember that some of the textiles in areas such as the glove compartment and sun visors conform to the new premium image of using sustainable materials in both the i3 and i8. These have been recycled for input into the i8 as new materials.

Although they look cheap to you there are part of the whole sustainable image BMWi promotes.

FYI the V-Klasse touch pad command controller is available on optional on all Mercedes-Benz cars.

For BMW we are heading towards to new level of connectivity in which iDrive will dispense with a rotating knob and moving to a touch dial and connected drive tablet as showcased on the Vision Future Luxury concept car.
      04-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #42
X3paul
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Please remember that some of the textiles in areas such as the glove compartment and sun visors conform to the new premium image of using sustainable materials in both the i3 and i8. These have been recycled for input into the i8 as new materials.

Although they look cheap to you there are part of the whole sustainable image BMWi promotes.

FYI the V-Klasse touch pad command controller is available on optional on all Mercedes-Benz cars.

For BMW we are heading towards to new level of connectivity in which iDrive will dispense with a rotating knob and moving to a touch dial and connected drive tablet as showcased on the Vision Future Luxury concept car.
Ahahah thats rich. So the new premium image bmw wants to convey is cheapness? lol

And to correct your post the materials dont look cheap to me. They ARE cheap.

I am sad to know that the idrive knob is going however. Always been a favourite, specially the first incarnation i had on my E65 7. Best one ever designed. I bit off topic but that car one day will be in a museum, specially its interior. quality wasnt to par with todays cars but its design was utopian. One could clearly see the thought put into it. Kudos to Mr Bangle and its team

Also unrelated but I hate those full digital instrument displays. the S class ones look like those cheap ipad knockoffs. I hope bmw keeps at least the speedo and rev needles as optional. And if bmw wants to know how to design one that does not look cheap I can lend them my E9 Csi for them lol
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #43
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It appears to do the surround camera "top-down" view you get in some other models when parking.
The "top-down" cameras actually are inside the mirrors, facing down; this camera could be (a) an extension of that, (b) for speed limit info, (c) for camera based cruise control if available, or (d) something else entirely.

Quote:
And just for the record. A friend on the west coast that works for a BMW dealer says someone just agreed to paying $250k for their first i8

MSRP all the way!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #44
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

Quote:
Ahahah thats rich. So the new premium image bmw wants to convey is cheapness? lol

And to correct your post the materials dont look cheap to me. They ARE cheap.
I don't understand this mess with finishing. Someone takes photos of preproduction car and then thinks it's cheap looking. Ok, it may be if you think so. I have played with fighter airplanes during my years in AF and had a very close look into several ones, inside out. Small unfinished details looking cheap...may cost 100 000 USD. Or 20 USD. You can't see price from finishing at all.

i8 is not an ordinary car for an ordinary consumer. If you want to drive future now, go for it and do understand idea behind it. Otherwise conventional car is better solution. For example V-class...