BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-23-2014, 05:47 AM   #67
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
my f10 LCI (with nbt and multifunction instrument) seems to have a far better quality interior. especially the center console all the way to the dash is beautiful.

the new 6 is ever nicer.

i expected better on this as it is 2x the cost, but the quality seems more like a 3/4 series...
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #68
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I guess people are still missing the fact that these are pre-production cars that have all kinds of trim pieces that are not indicative of what a production car will have and were built for the sake of being able to drive and not fall apart, not for the sake of looking like they should.

We all really, really need to reserve judgement on these fine, nitpicky points until the final, serial production product comes out. If some still exist, by all means critizice away, because some of these things wouldn't quite be appropriate for any car of this price.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #69
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

Indeed, well said @OttosBMWBrian.

BTW, I had a call back from my i dealer today and he has agreed to provide the following feedback to BMW UK:-

"...there is quite a lot of concern about a few parts of the i8. The main customer concerns are as follows (broadly speaking going from greatest concern to least):-
  1. The plastic cup holder in the rear of the cabin is of incredibly poor materials, and it is a real eye sore, seriously degrading the feel of the cabin.
  2. Similarly with regard to the carpet trim around the central tunnel (from the front to the back of the cabin). It is a vast and very noticeable area within the cabin. One customer wished it was in leather.
  3. The headlining, could this not be made of a more premium material, e.g. Alcantara or something similar?
  4. The sun visors being of incredibly poor quality (e.g. material used), no vanity mirror light, etc.
  5. Blind Spot Monitoring (or lack thereof), which is strange as plenty of other cars have this facility (or option to spec it).
  6. Some ‘customers’ were complaining about the fit and finish of the car, e.g. large poor panel gaps, rubber seals not lined up properly, etc. However we have tried to stress to them that the cars are probably of a pre-production standard, hence quite a few things would probably be improved on customer cars (well that’s the hope anyway!)."

...Let's hope BMW listen to their customers!

N.B. FYI, he went on to say that fit and finish of the i3s were much-improved over on customer cars compared with the pre-production cars which were used by BMW to show off the cars to potential customers. Hopefully the same is true of the i8.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #70
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Great stuff, @Tilum. It is promising what he said about the customer i3s.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #71
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilum View Post

BTW, I had a call back from my i dealer today and he has agreed to provide the following feedback to BMW UK:-

"...there is quite a lot of concern about a few parts of the i8. The main customer concerns are as follows (broadly speaking going from greatest concern to least):-
  1. The plastic cup holder in the rear of the cabin is of incredibly poor materials, and it is a real eye sore, seriously degrading the feel of the cabin.
  2. Similarly with regard to the carpet trim around the central tunnel (from the front to the back of the cabin). It is a vast and very noticeable area within the cabin. One customer wished it was in leather.
  3. The headlining, could this not be made of a more premium material, e.g. Alcantara or something similar?
  4. The sun visors being of incredibly poor quality (e.g. material used), no vanity mirror light, etc.
  5. Blind Spot Monitoring (or lack thereof), which is strange as plenty of other cars have this facility (or option to spec it).
  6. Some ‘customers’ were complaining about the fit and finish of the car, e.g. large poor panel gaps, rubber seals not lined up properly, etc. However we have tried to stress to them that the cars are probably of a pre-production standard, hence quite a few things would probably be improved on customer cars (well that’s the hope anyway!)."

N.B. FYI, he went on to say that fit and finish of the i3s were much-improved over on customer cars compared with the pre-production cars which were used by BMW to show off the cars to potential customers. Hopefully the same is true of the i8.
The first i8s from the production line are for global demonstration. Like the BMW i3.
      04-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #72
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilum View Post

6. Some customers were complaining about the fit and finish of the car, e.g. large poor panel gaps, rubber seals not lined up properly, etc. However we have tried to stress to them that the cars are probably of a pre-production standard, hence quite a few things would probably be improved on customer cars (well thats the hope anyway!)."

The first i8s from the production line are for global demonstration. Like the BMW i3.
I heard those exact same words when I test drove the new x3 and pointed out the cheap plastic cup holders, the plastic air vents module and'a what'a u know...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #73
StuM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8 Protonic Blue/Pure Impulse/

Garage List
Entertaining comments

Fun to read all of your perspectives. Especially those based solely on views of photo's, quick peeks at pre-production cars at shows, etc. If the i8's not your cup of tea, don't buy it. We're all different, with different wants, needs and perspectives. I, for one, am committed to an i8, for what it is today.
I've done the F430, R8, 911, Aston, Merc and Maserati thing and each was fine, in its own right. All had pros and cons and some trade-off's. I've also done the Jag thing and would never use them as a standard for quality and reliability. They may be improved from the old days (thanks to Ford QC), but still have a long way to go.
No value in belittling, criticizing or demeaning each other. Assume we're all car-guys at heart, to be on this site and can benefit a great deal by constructively valuing our varied opinions and perspectives.
Drive on!
Appreciate 0