BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #45
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
If you look at SCOTT26's response from to my post in another thread from today, an M model apparently is not in the cards...

Quote: (HBSpeed)
Cool presentation, I just watched it live. However nothing was said regarding an M model of the i8 which leads me to believe it will be a long time before any such information will be allowed out; not to mention an on sale date.

Guess that solidifies that my next sports car purchase will not be a BMW.

If you want to give such information to bring be back off the ledge however, I am all ears SCOTT26...

SCOT26:
There will be no M model. An M i8 defeats the purpose of the car and of the stand-alone image of the BMWi brand.

This is the future of the Sports car in a sustainable era.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...04&postcount=7
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #46
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
If you look at SCOTT26's response from to my post in another thread from today, an M model apparently is not in the cards...

Quote: (HBSpeed)
Cool presentation, I just watched it live. However nothing was said regarding an M model of the i8 which leads me to believe it will be a long time before any such information will be allowed out; not to mention an on sale date.

Guess that solidifies that my next sports car purchase will not be a BMW.

If you want to give such information to bring be back off the ledge however, I am all ears SCOTT26...

SCOT26:
There will be no M model. An M i8 defeats the purpose of the car and of the stand-alone image of the BMWi brand.

This is the future of the Sports car in a sustainable era.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...04&postcount=7

If I remember correctly there is an M-One project on the cards? And it is apparently not related to the i-brand?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #47
alexliu.lzw
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Fantastic! I really like i3 & i8
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #48
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack View Post
Booo. It only has two pedals!! Lol! Would be nice if all that carbon fiber made it to production. But im sure that would really jack up the price.
The whole point of CFRP and BMW investing into it was to make it cost effective. Although the car would still cost an arm and a leg, i believe it will be priced in such a way that no other manufacturer could implement it into their vehicles as cost effectively as BMW...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #49
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Seriously Awesome car. those specs are insane. 0-6 in 4.6 Seconds!!!

I want one....the question is can I afford one? will have to wait and see...

07-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #50
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

This car is right on the leading edge of where we ought to be going with vehicles. What a halo vehicle with which to trickle down the technology to the entire range of cars. Amazing concept and leadership. BRAVO!

This really puts BMW's decision to leave F1 in a brighter context. MB can have its SLS, Audi its R8..the i8 will make both look like obsolete dinosaurs.

The only drawback is this, more than dual clutches and consumer preferences, really does spell the end of the manual transmission. I imagine it would be next to impossible for the car to coordinate the gas and electric propulsion systems if it did not have control over what gear the car is in.

Amazing tour de force of vision backed up with implementation. With those fuel economy numbers, I don't think we are going to miss the diesel engine, and without the diesel, market acceptance may be greater...and open the door for diesels in the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #51
geesechops
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

The i8. Now that is how the new shark nose grill should look!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 02:29 AM   #52
jubahl
AutoCustoms Hawaii
Rep
Drives: 328i/750i

Looks sick!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 03:20 AM   #53
EnjoixE92
I'll have the tuna, no crust.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

sorry my E92's but this is my next car! IF its under 100k -___-
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 05:14 AM   #54
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

The good news is that they got rid of the diesel and replaced it with petrol. Diesel is really bad for the environment, putting out nano-particles that cause cancer and brain damage in children. So, using petrol for the combustion engine is a much better choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 05:16 AM   #55
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

I think those all glass doors will disappear by the time it goes production. For one thing, I assume they will still need side air-bags in the doors. For another, I'd prefer serious chunky metal to protect me on the sides.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #56
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Surprisingly the changes for production are very little. If you compare the i8 against the Vision Efficient Dynamics. Look at it and you can see the more viable "production"
areas that have been progressed from the Vision Efficient Dynamics in terms of meeting crash-safety legislation , especially at the front end which has been crash-tested and around the a-Pillars where it looks more structural.
The changes are apparent over the Vision Efficient Dynamics as this could not carried over to production.

The see-through doors will not make production but will be replaced by a carbon panel. Which in order for customers to personalize their i8 we will offer a personalisation programme for your i8 and i3. So you can have the door panels in color , contrasting color or plain carbon material. The doors will open in the same way as the "butterfly effect" Vision Efficient Dynamics and the i8 Concepts though.

The i3 will be the first BMW to offer rear-hinged doors ala MINI and Rolls-Royce. In the interior it is not different to visualize the appearance of both Concept and production
To further showcase it's individuality. BMWi will offer a very futuristic setting as shown here. colors and materials will be of concept appearance it will not resemble a typical road car, everything with BMWi such as switchgear , instrument graphics and specific materials will not be shared with any other BMW.

Incase you had a case of deja vu at the venue - Yes it is BMW's Frankfurt hall from 2009 being resurrected for 2011 and this September's IAA which includes the pioneer of the original concept of an indoor track continuing the idea for this years IAA, With Audi and Mercedes-Benz now begun construction on their indoor and outdoor venues at the Frankfurt Messe.

Was asked the most stupid question today .... " what if the driver wants to jack off whilst in a traffic jam?" "Wont the public see through the exposed glass?"
My reply was " I do not know anybody who has or had the notion to masturbate in their car and I do not think I would want to"
      07-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #57
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Surprisingly the changes for production are very little. If you compare the i8 against the Vision Efficient Dynamics. Look at it and you can see the more viable "production"
areas that have been progressed from the Vision Efficient Dynamics in terms of meeting crash-safety legislation , especially at the front end which has been crash-tested and around the a-Pillars where it looks more structural.
The changes are apparent over the Vision Efficient Dynamics as this could not carried over to production.

The see-through doors will not make production but will be replaced by a carbon panel. Which in order for customers to personalize their i8 we will offer a personalisation programme for your i8 and i3. So you can have the door panels in color , contrasting color or plain carbon material. The doors will open in the same way as the "butterfly effect" Vision Efficient Dynamics and the i8 Concepts though.

The i3 will be the first BMW to offer rear-hinged doors ala MINI and Rolls-Royce. In the interior it is not different to visualize the appearance of both Concept and production
To further showcase it's individuality. BMWi will offer a very futuristic setting as shown here. colors and materials will be of concept appearance it will not resemble a typical road car, everything with BMWi such as switchgear , instrument graphics and specific materials will not be shared with any other BMW.

Incase you had a case of deja vu at the venue - Yes it is BMW's Frankfurt hall from 2009 being resurrected for 2011 and this September's IAA which includes the pioneer of the original concept of an indoor track continuing the idea for this years IAA, With Audi and Mercedes-Benz now begun construction on their indoor and outdoor venues at the Frankfurt Messe.

Was asked the most stupid question today .... " what if the driver wants to jack off whilst in a traffic jam?" "Wont the public see through the exposed glass?"
My reply was " I do not know anybody who has or had the notion to masturbate in their car and I do not think I would want to"
Shame they can't carry over those glass doors, they are stunning. Nonetheless, this car is awesome! I can't wait till they hit the roads...

07-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #58
Argent60
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: A6 3.0t Prestige

Any chance this thing is out the door for < $100k?

Previous = '08 535xi Sedan
Previous = '11 335is Cabrio
Current = '12 Audi A6
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #59
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
...Was asked the most stupid question today .... " what if the driver wants to jack off whilst in a traffic jam?" "Wont the public see through the exposed glass?"
LOL!!

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #60
Lex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i M Sport Sport Wagon

Garage List
WOW. I went from saying last week that the Active E 1 series electric car was boring & couldn't believe how uninspired I was about a BMW, and then this just blows my mind away.....Now the i8, that's what I'm talking about!!! Bravo BMW, very exciting, bad a**, sic, cool, etc. Now that's a car I think anyone would want!
If I had to choose what to drive the I8 or any Ferrari I would have a hard time making that decision. At least taking the I8 now in its present style. Maybe I have beer goggles on right now. Okay I'm having second thoughts about that right now, definitely take it over an Audi R8, next gen 911, GTR or LFA.

Last edited by Lex; 07-30-2011 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: add smiley face
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #61
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

Quote:
Not hard to estimate that production model lauch will happen IAA 2013. Great, excellent, thank you very much BMW! It was great moment to see the future of modern sportcar in IAA 2009 when VED started to drive around black hall in day 1. And I'll be there this year also. And hopefully 2013.

i8 is something that make you want it. I'v tried to find something to replace my M3 but have been unable to see any idea to buy new 6-series, M5, new M6 or anything else that costs reasonably. If i8 is not far over 150 000 euros here, I'll set my order as soon as it's possible. This car has something that changes the game forever and I want to be in the first row to see it. Especially I'm impressed about 4-wheel drive capability - I can use i8 around the year also in wintertime.
      07-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #62
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
they used vacouver for the backdrop because they filmed the next MI4 there!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #63
aandrew335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Im not that knowledgeable when it comes to hybrids, but doesnt a 20 mile range on the electric motor seem kinda low? Or is it in essence more because as the car moves, the batteries are charging??
      07-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #64
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

If I remember correctly, I think the starting price for i8 was said to be $200,000. A lot more for Europe I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #65
weip98
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 LMB

The i8 looks nice, but I don't know if those doors will make it to production? I wonder how they perform in a side impact...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #66
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

Im more impressed by the interior than the exterior. dont get me wrong, everything about the new BMW i models are wild! If what SCOTT is saying about minimal changes for production is true, customers will be blown away by it. love the forward thinking

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0