Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

09-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
F30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535i Owner - Future M4

New BMW Rex i3 Owner (3 Days) Questions For The Owners :)

Hi Everyone,

I've had my i3 Rex for three days now and I absolutely love it! However, I have a few issues I'd like to see if anyone else has had something similar -

1) Last night my bmw charged from 9 PM PST - 7 AM PST (10 Hours) and I only was at about 85% Charged when I started up my BMW i3. Is this normal?

2) FM Radio Reception - Really really bad especially on the 405 Freeway, some stations aren't even audible some are OK

3) Using gas - I don't ever see myself using gas unless I go on a roadtrip or something to San Diego, so is it OK that the gas sits in the tank for a month or two at a time without being used or could this be bad for my i3?

Thank you for the feedback everyone.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30
Hi Everyone,

I've had my i3 Rex for three days now and I absolutely love it! However, I have a few issues I'd like to see if anyone else has had something similar -

1) Last night my bmw charged from 9 PM PST - 7 AM PST (10 Hours) and I only was at about 85% Charged when I started up my BMW i3. Is this normal?

2) FM Radio Reception - Really really bad especially on the 405 Freeway, some stations aren't even audible some are OK

3) Using gas - I don't ever see myself using gas unless I go on a roadtrip or something to San Diego, so is it OK that the gas sits in the tank for a month or two at a time without being used or could this be bad for my i3?

Thank you for the feedback everyone.
Gas should be fine for 6 months if longer add stable or something to keep water out of it.

The regular wall plug in charger can take up to 8 to15hrs for a full charge.
Also climate and battery temp have an effect of charging time.

Get the level 2 installed then it's 3 to 4 hrs.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #3
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30 View Post

I be you used the included L1 120V charger.
That thing takes something like 18 hours to charge the batter from empty to full. For everyday car use purposes, it's not usable.

You need to buy and install an L2 240V charger.
Search the threads for recommendations. A good one can be had for ~$500.

Quote:
I had the same problem when I got my i3.
Before I could find time to take it back to the dealer, I opened the glove box and found the stubby FM antenna sitting inside. Took it out, screwed it into the shark-fin base, and FM stations started showing up.

Step 1: Check that you have the FM antenna properly installed (could have been forgotten during dealer prep).

I've also noticed that if I turn ON "HD diversity" antenna feature, my reception goes down the drain. Not sure why. I turned it off, and will bring this up with the dealer next time (ever?) I get to see them.

Quote:
Like others said, gas is in an airtight vacuumed tank, so it doesn't degrade as fast as it would in a regular car.
Also, once every blue moon, i3-REX will turn the gas engine on for about 10 minutes just to lubricate it for maintenance purposes. Don't be surprised when that happens.

Enjoy your REX!

a
Appreciate 0