BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

01-30-2024, 02:15 AM   #1
NoxArt
Registered
Rep
Drives: Skoda Karoq,Skoda Octavia 2007

Question BMW i8 questions

Hello everyone, I'm thinking of getting BMW i8 as DD, though I'm still saving up to have bigger cushion after buying it

I apologize if some of these questions are silly

1) From what I've been told ... i8 is "basically a 2-seater with a space for a bag". If both the person sitting in the front and back are both smaller (let's say 158-170 ... 5'2 - 5'6), can the front seat be moved forward to make the back seat viable even for such adult?

Most of the time I'll be driving alone, but just to maybe have the option

2) In the trunk you put everything below the lid, I assume you can't put anything on top of it since you wouldn't see behind you? Or is there a camera?

3) Is it true that if you drive with both engines you don't really need to charge the electric one, it recuperates fully? Or do you need from time to time?

4) I'm not really a fan of those empty front grills, would it be possible to somehow mod them = add the "vertical fins" to look similar to e.g. 8 series? I might need to have it custom made I assume

Thank you and take care
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 11:36 AM   #2
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxArt View Post
Hello everyone, I'm thinking of getting BMW i8 as DD, though I'm still saving up to have bigger cushion after buying it

I apologize if some of these questions are silly

1) From what I've been told ... i8 is "basically a 2-seater with a space for a bag". If both the person sitting in the front and back are both smaller (let's say 158-170 ... 5'2 - 5'6), can the front seat be moved forward to make the back seat viable even for such adult?

Most of the time I'll be driving alone, but just to maybe have the option

2) In the trunk you put everything below the lid, I assume you can't put anything on top of it since you wouldn't see behind you? Or is there a camera?

3) Is it true that if you drive with both engines you don't really need to charge the electric one, it recuperates fully? Or do you need from time to time?

4) I'm not really a fan of those empty front grills, would it be possible to somehow mod them = add the "vertical fins" to look similar to e.g. 8 series? I might need to have it custom made I assume

Thank you and take care
I have mine since 2014 and the back seat are usable for sure, but the headroom is challenging. 5.2 may still be somewhat ok but not great…..

You have a camera, you can fill up the trunk in you need to in an emergency, i have done it every now and then.

You can use the car without charging ever - but it may negatively impact the longevity of the battery. You can use the charger and plug it into a regular outlet and charge overnight.

I would not mod the front, since there are active vents in the lower part of the car too…..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 09:06 AM   #3
NoxArt
Registered
Rep

Thank you for reply

It's weird, I set it to "notify immediately" but received no notification about your reply
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 04:04 PM   #4
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

My 6'5" son sits sideways in the back seat. In a pinch two of my sons sit sideways back there. Trunk can accommodate a surprising amount of groceries, but not a suitcase. Leave privacy lid folded up and more room, although you can put stuff on top of the cover, which will block view, but yes there is an excellent camera and radar alert system.

Only change to front I recommend is the BMW aerodynamic package.

Electric charging is so easy, just plug in at night, and long distance travel easy too, 400+ miles on a tank of gas (10 gallons). Hybrid is best of both worlds.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2024, 04:09 PM   #5
NoxArt
Registered
Rep

Thank you for your insights
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 02:39 AM   #6
billy.gif
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Hello!

1. If the driver or front passenger is 170cm you can fit another 170cm person behind him. Its not comfortable but manageable. Just like in any Porsche 911. And the headroom in this car is actually really huge. I'm 180cm and I had to move the driver seat upwards, yet I'm still able to track the car with a motorcycle helmet w/o it hitting the headliner!

2. You can put much stuff into the car as soon as they're in "soft bags". Also the engine lid / deck will get warm but will not melt any fibre or such. I have driven 200km with stuff top of the engine lid w/o issues.

3. You can use the car w/o ever charging it via the charging port but its not recommended, I believe. For the durability of the said HV battery pack. Every time you'll drive in SPORT-mode it will charge batteries, up to like 70%. But then it will use huge amount of fuel (for the 3-cyl engine). I ll say 12-13L/100km when normal is ~8L/100km in 80kph speed.

AND if you dont have enough battery charged the car will not be as fast as with full battery. There's video on the YT where they track the car until batteries are empty and driver feels notable difference in power:

Appreciate 0