Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
i3 REx drivers - do you use your fuel?

With a charging station at work, I've not had to refuel the REx in a few weeks, and I don't foresee filling it anytime soon. I've read that you can keep unused fuel in the car for something like 2 years before any deterioration of the fuel has any adverse effects. Then there is the old saying that you should drive a car every few weeks to keep it healthy. If the REx never has to kick in, is that a problem? Not that I am keeping the car for the long term, but the next owner might appreciate my consideration for them. I'm considering using the REx and using up all the gas at least once a month. Thoughts?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #2
baldyloxx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3Rex

I have had a full tank for a few weeks now.. i also have a 'habit' of either draining the battery enough to force the Rex to enable (which take a couple day with my personal drive cycle), or I manually turn the extender on at <75% soc now and then.. just to keep the juices flowing.

from what I understand, Rex system has an automated cycle that turn the Rex on every '8 weekes' to keep the Rex internals seasoned.. so says the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:40 PM   #3
nicolak
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 F350 17 i3 REx

Like you I do not need to fuel very often. When fuel is between 1.5-2.0 months old I will purposely run it empty. If you live in a four season climate area like myself this should certainly be done when winter fuel blends are introduced.

Not really relevant now however when ethanol fuels became popular and mandatory in the US they used to cause many evaporative system faults and damage. I know this because I diagnosed and repaired many, I turn wrenches for a living. Non-ethanol fuels have become readily available in my area again at a price of course, and I always fuel with that type. Modern components are able to handle and some purposely designed for the alcohol content and not needed but I do feel better about the choice nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
3ackok
Registered
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: R1200GSA

The engine runs for 15 minutes every 2 months or so. I managed one year between the fill ups. I log my fuel purchases on fuelly.com, it just couldn't swallow a 2 gallons fill up after 10k miles. Had to use x100 multiplier
http://www.fuelly.com/car/bmw/i3/2015/gt1/440845
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 08:14 PM   #5
BMWBuffalo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i

There is a mode you can use to run the REX whenever you want. It?s called Exhaust-gas test mode.

If you want to start the combustion engine for an exhaust-gas test in the BMW I01 with range extender, you may do so if the following operating conditions are met:
-Tailgate is open
-Switch on ignition and engage drive position ?P? (without braking)
-Press and hold down the accelerator pedal within 60 seconds
-Press the brake three times within 20 seconds and hold
-Release the accelerator pedal and press the START-STOP button when the brake is actuated

The combustion engine starts if the SOC of the high-voltage battery is less than 75%.
A Check Control message, ?Exhaust-gas test mode activated? is given when the combustion engine is running. The empty run point is automatically approached during the warm-up phase. Using the pedal sensor position, two speed points of the combustion engine are selected for the measurement.
The ?Exhaust-gas test? mode is automatically ended if these following conditions are met:
-After 20 minutes of running
-If the vehicle is started
-Switching off the ignition

Credit to sf bmw coding for the above.
Appreciate 0