11-29-2017, 05:14 PM   #67
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
You can ride a motorcycle all you want. Putting a helmet on is a simple safety precaution. Risk mitigation. ORM. Common sense. Whatever you want to call it.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to understand bouncing your head off the asphalt even at 20 mph = vegetable or with a helmet, you get some road rash and walk away. I know too many people who have dumped their bikes because of road debris or other drivers and would be dead if they weren't wearing a helmet. Your skill on a bike only goes so far.

Fortunately most of my friends aren't idiots and practice common sense.
Okay, but motorcycles go faster than 20 MPH. And not to get into the physics much, but crashing at 20 MPH is not the same as hitting your head on the pavement at 20 MPH. The Z-AXIS vector is about the same as falling off your feet.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #68
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Okay, but motorcycles go faster than 20 MPH. And not to get into the physics much, but crashing at 20 MPH is not the same as hitting your head on the pavement at 20 MPH. The Z-AXIS vector is about the same as falling off your feet.
Yeah, I understand physics, thanks for the lesson.

Anything over a certain speed is totally unsurvivable, that's why professional motorcycle racers don't wear helmets either.
Appreciate 1
jmg18493.00
      11-29-2017, 09:08 PM   #69
E90M3JETS
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

The real question is: who actually is a buyer of i3 in the US? My dealer has a new 2015 in stock!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 09:13 PM   #70
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I understand physics, thanks for the lesson.

Anything over a certain speed is totally unsurvivable, that's why professional motorcycle racers don't wear helmets either.
Same principle applies.

I do remember an incident at the Indy 500 about 10 years ago where one driver was hit in the head by a dislodged wheel. He was hit in the helmet and died anyway.

Football players wear helmets yet they won a lawsuit against the NFL for concussion related illnesses.

Again, my position is regarding street riders and their choice to wear a helmet or not wear a helmet where legally permissible.

Enjoy yourself.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 09:14 PM   #71
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

And enjoy yourself!

Without a helmet (organ donor)

On second thought, not wearing a helmet is a benefit to society!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 02:00 AM   #72
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by reductase View Post
The love hate relationship with my i3 continues to spiral downward.
The steering on mine has already been repaired multiple times under warranty, plenty of room for safety and durability improvements.
What was wrong with the steering?
I just bought mine CPO a months ago before the recall notice.

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
F30 Liquid Blue Matallic 328i
Current Garage Queen: Mineral White F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 02:04 AM   #73
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Time get a Chevy Bolt with its 238 miles of usable range.
I test drove that car, 238 miles are nice, but the front wheel drive is such a let down!

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
F30 Liquid Blue Matallic 328i
Current Garage Queen: Mineral White F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 03:31 AM   #74
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS View Post
The real question is: who actually is a buyer of i3 in the US? My dealer has a new 2015 in stock!!!!
No one. You lease them. You're gonna get hosed buying them. The math is quite simple.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 05:47 AM   #75
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And enjoy yourself!

Without a helmet (organ donor)

On second thought, not wearing a helmet is a benefit to society!
I knew you'd eventually come around and see the light

Peace out!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 08:00 AM   #76
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyloxx View Post
took my '17 i3Rex in for RTTI software update last week. Clerk mentioned to me about the open Service Bulletins (recalls) for the Frontal Crash and Programming issues.. Programming will be done, but she wasn't sure what/if there is a fix in store yet for the Frontal Crash issue..

should get car back today/tomorrow.
Does anybody know if this RTTI software update only applies to i3's or is it all BMW's. My RTTI isn't working on my 2013 M5, I called BMW Assist and they told me there was a known outage. Now I'm wondering if I need an update or something.

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 08:34 AM   #77
Fedie
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Garage List
Nothing in Canada yet and we are on top of this things. Makes me wonder, I mean everyone watched "who killed the Electric car" movie, and it seem like the right time for Tesla as they are going through some production issues.

I'm not the type to believe on conspiracy theory but hey, maybe.
Long gone, Le Mans Blue X1 xdrive35 M-Sport - Alpina TCU flash - HR springs - Catless dp - JB4 ST2 - CAI -- Alpine White 2007 335i E92 - Procede v3 Stg 2/3 custom - VRSP 3" DP - Stett charge + Forge DV - Stett CAI - CXracing IC
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 11:04 AM   #78
baldyloxx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
No one. You lease them. You're gonna get hosed buying them. The math is quite simple.
actually..

after my lease is up I'm really considering paying the residual... this car really has redefined how a car is made and what a car can be.

sounds crazy to most, but we will see in 10years.

I have a 4-series as a loaner while my i3 sits at the dealer.. lets just say the 4-series is boring to drive for my commute. I never have the opportunity to use all that power and 'performance'. And the 'dumbed-down mode' is......... F^@%ing DUMB
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #79
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
actually..

after my lease is up I'm really considering paying the residual... this car really has redefined how a car is made and what a car can be.

sounds crazy to most, but we will see in 10years.

I have a 4-series as a loaner while my i3 sits at the dealer.. lets just say the 4-series is boring to drive for my commute. I never have the opportunity to use all that power and 'performance'. And the 'dumbed-down mode' is......... F^@%ing DUMB

I considered that too. My lease payoff is way above market value right now though. Unless they let me buy the car for market value, I can't justify paying the residual as it is on the lease.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 06:14 PM   #80
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:
actually..

after my lease is up I'm really considering paying the residual...
But why? Let the dealer take it back and buy it from them two days later. They'll be happy to do the deal since its BMWFS loss and their sale.

I just ended up leasing a new one for basically the same money.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:13 AM   #81
baldyloxx
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, Residual price will be considered at the time.. All payments made, plus residual 'promised' to me is cheaper than 'financing new'.

If buying this 'used' at the time the lease ends is cheaper still, of course I will take that option..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #82
reductase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i M sport

Garage List
2013 335i  [0.00]
Has there been any official update on the recall or technical service bulletin ?
My favorite lemon is at the service center for other problems again this week, but they were vague on details when I asked about the recall.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 12:52 PM   #83
baldyloxx
Private First Class
Rep

Received a message from the Service Rep yesterday regarding Frontal Crash recall.. Basically there is no known 'fix' for the issue. BMW is still investigating the issue and there will be an official Recall Notice sent to all owners/leasers. Possibly still a couple months away.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:27 PM   #84
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Same principle applies.

I do remember an incident at the Indy 500 about 10 years ago where one driver was hit in the head by a dislodged wheel. He was hit in the helmet and died anyway.

Football players wear helmets yet they won a lawsuit against the NFL for concussion related illnesses.

Again, my position is regarding street riders and their choice to wear a helmet or not wear a helmet where legally permissible.

Enjoy yourself.
Ohh, that’s a good question...how often do NFL players get new helmets? Motorcycle helmets are supposed to get replaced after even a minor drop. The foam compresses inside and makes them worthless. I’ve been in an accident at 100mph in a bike with helmet, shirt, shorts...skin got shredded but head was fine...had worse damage from flipping my truck at 70mph. It is still all luck as to what your head hits though. I had a friend slide out at 50mph and driver behind him ran over his head. Full face helmet didn’t stop the car from crushing his skull, but that’s no reason for not wearing a helmet. I’d never ride a bike without a full faced helmet...I care about my family
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 05:52 AM   #85
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
Ohh, that’s a good question...how often do NFL players get new helmets? Motorcycle helmets are supposed to get replaced after even a minor drop. The foam compresses inside and makes them worthless. I’ve been in an accident at 100mph in a bike with helmet, shirt, shorts...skin got shredded but head was fine...had worse damage from flipping my truck at 70mph. It is still all luck as to what your head hits though. I had a friend slide out at 50mph and driver behind him ran over his head. Full face helmet didn’t stop the car from crushing his skull, but that’s no reason for not wearing a helmet. I’d never ride a bike without a full faced helmet...I care about my family
My discussion with Mr. Jockey is over the concept of a person being allowed to choose whether or not to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle rather than the effectiveness of the device. Just as there is no law mandating motorcyclists wear full leathers so when they crash at 100 MPH their skin stays intact; the motorcyclist has the freedom to choose to wear protective outerwear to save him from, or reduce the severity of road rash.

And BTY I just bought a Shoei RJ this past summer to replace my Shoei RX-1000 and my Shoei Cruz (Shoei doesn't make the half-helmet Cruz anymore). Funny you don't see Police Motorcycle Officers in full face/open face helmets...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #86
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
My discussion with Mr. Jockey is over the concept of a person being allowed to choose whether or not to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle rather than the effectiveness of the device. Just as there is no law mandating motorcyclists wear full leathers so when they crash at 100 MPH their skin stays intact; the motorcyclist has the freedom to choose to wear protective outerwear to save him from, or reduce the severity of road rash.

And BTY I just bought a Shoei RJ this past summer to replace my Shoei RX-1000 and my Shoei Cruz (Shoei doesn't make the half-helmet Cruz anymore). Funny you don't see Police Motorcycle Officers in full face/open face helmets...
I then have the right to save you or let you die because you didn't wear a crash helmet.
      12-03-2017, 04:48 AM   #87
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
I then have the right to save you or let you die because you didn't wear a crash helmet.
Nope you don't have any such rights, nor do you have the responsibility. No one does.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 05:29 PM   #88
rbilramz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 x35d

I was about to pull the trigger on a CPO. I guess I can't even do that until the recall is all figred out.
Appreciate 0