BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

06-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
s62
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yellow

First 8 i8 cars delivered with laser lights!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
According to Car and Driver:

"On the night of June 5, 2014, the first eight laser-lit units of the i8 were delivered to customers in a ceremony featuring aging German entertainer Thomas Gottschalk and held at the BMW Welt in Munich. “With this laser light, the BMW i8 is writing automotive history,” the press release gushes."

http://blog.caranddriver.com/bmw-bea...keeps-turning/

Of course, there’s still the minor matter of how much BMW’s lights will cost. No price has been released, and we’re told it won’t be publicized until the fall. The eight merry customers that took delivery of their i8s today got their lasers for free.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Yes the first cars were handed over. Keep a look out on BMW TV.de for some highlights soon.
Attached Images

Last edited by SCOTT26; 06-05-2014 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

That's exciting. If I'm not mistaken, these represent the first cars delivered to customers other than BMW employees. Can't wait for that day to come for US deliveries, which I understand will occur August 17 at Pebble Beach. Of course, it's a shame that the US cars will not have the option for laser lights, at least for the foreseeable future.

Here is the link to the press release regarding the initial deliveries. Interesting to note the color selections for these first 8 cars. Make sure you check out the production videos (bottom of the press release) which show the complete process for i8 production.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...tem=node__8610

Last edited by drlonline; 06-05-2014 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
That's exciting. If I'm not mistaken, these represent the first cars delivered to customers other than BMW employees. Can't wait for that day to come for US deliveries, which I understand will occur August 17 at Pebble Beach. Of course, it's a shame that the US cars will not have the option for laser lights, at least for the foreseeable future.

Here is the link to the press release regarding the initial deliveries. Interesting to note the color selections for these first 8 cars. Make sure you check out the production videos (bottom of the press release) which show the complete process for i8 production.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...tem=node__8610
With current manufacturer liability climate in the US, I doubt car makers and the DOT with be rushing to approve a lot of new tech not directly related to safety. All we need is someone saying laser headlights blinded them.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #5
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Looks like Protonic Blue may be the "oddball" color in the group - not a single one of those 8 cars had it. Considering the popularity in general of White, black (Sophisto Grey in this case), and Silver, it's not a surprise. That black leather dash with white contrast stitching looks amazing though. Nice find! Will have to watch those videos later.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
That black leather dash with white contrast stitching looks amazing though. Nice find! Will have to watch those videos later.
If the attached pic below is the one you're referring to (Image No. 9), I think it's an error on the site, as the dash is a different layout to the i8 and the picture is described as "6 Series M Sport Edition (09/2013)".

The videos are informative, and even better if you can speak German (as not all of them have an English speaking section in them). The production videos (Set 4) are quite cool; I like how they show how the i8 is built from start to finish

T
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #7
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilum View Post
If the attached pic below is the one you're referring to (Image No. 9), I think it's an error on the site, as the dash is a different layout to the i8 and the picture is described as "6 Series M Sport Edition (09/2013)".

T
That is the one - can't believe I missed that. I just though, wow they really made the leather dash stand out for these first customer cars. Lol.

Well, at least I know if I end up with a 6er, I will be happy with the interior. But I already knew this long before the i8 was introduced...
Appreciate 0