04-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #45
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilum View Post
@SCOTT26, when you say you are illustrating the Display Key at the moment, do you mean images etc in a magazine, or do you have a real life, fully working prototype Display Key?!?

So to conclude, it really does seem as though we are going to have to get used to the bad news that we won't be getting the awesome-looking Display Key.
FWIW some guy from Northants on Bimmerfest's forums says he saw a Display Key today...

Anyway, you'd think there would be more specifics about a car that goes on sale in ~6ish weeks in some areas.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #46
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
FWIW some guy from Northants on Bimmerfest's forums says he saw a Display Key today...

Anyway, you'd think there would be more specifics about a car that goes on sale in ~6ish weeks in some areas.
I soooooooooooooo hope you're right
...It's a good job I'm trying to insist on having a clause in my contract allowing me to upgrade my key(s) LOL.

But yeah, as you say, you'd think BMW would be able to give a clear and consistent message regarding things like this, especially as official launch events aren't too far away now!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 12:29 AM   #47
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Rear seats remind me if Porsche's rear seats. Useless for humans but great for gym bags.
      04-18-2014, 05:58 AM   #48
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Door sills so obtrusive that they are almost as high as the armrest in the door! Think about that the next time your arm is on the armrest in the car you own now... Then picture yourself (or significant other) climbing over that obstacle every time you get in/out!
Attached Images

04-18-2014, 06:22 AM   #49
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Door sills so obtrusive that they are almost as high as the armrest in the door! Think about that the next time your arm is on the armrest in the car you own now... Then picture yourself (or significant other) climbing over that obstacle every time you get in/out!
I don't have to think about it, I've lived with it for two years with no problems. It is surprising how closely the door sills resemble each other in the i8 and the SLS in shape at least, it appears the SLS sill is twice as wide.

Also haven't had anyone complain...and it could be "worse".

Last edited by Carac; 04-18-2014 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #50
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I don't have to think about it, I've lived with it for two years with no problems. It is surprising how closely the door sills resemble each other in the i8 and the SLS in shape at least, it appears the SLS sill is twice as wide.
I was going to say something similar Carac.
...Lots of supercars have high sills; it's the price you pay for sitting low to the ground, resulting in a lower CoG, and thus resulting in the right ingredient for improved handling.
As you say, you just get used to it TBH.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #51
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilum
Quote:
I was going to say something similar Carac.
...Lots of supercars have high sills; it's the price you pay for sitting low to the ground, resulting in a lower CoG, and thus resulting in the right ingredient for improved handling.
As you say, you just get used to it TBH.
I guess instead of beating a dead horse I'll just (strongly) suggest potential i8 owners try the ingress/egress.
Maybe I expect more practicality from a electric/hybrid focused on fuel economy, but as someone whom has imported and sold exotics since the mid 90s, the door sills are as much of an obstacle as any car I can remember. They are positively huge.
      04-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #52
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I guess instead of beating a dead horse I'll just (strongly) suggest potential i8 owners try the ingress/egress.
Maybe I expect more practicality from a electric/hybrid focused on fuel economy, but as someone whom has imported and sold exotics since the mid 90s, the door sills are as much of an obstacle as any car I can remember. They are positively huge.
I was in the i8 on Wednesday and getting in and out of the car wasn't a problem. And as the sill is plastic (as opposed to a fabric covering with a rubber seal for the door) it was easy to 'slide' over the sill. Yes it's different to getting in/out of a regular family car, but then lots of sports cars are like that.

But as you say, if someone isn't used to low seats, then they ought to try getting in & out of the i8 before ordering one if they think it might be a problem for them.

T
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #53
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

A touch OT, but how does Protonic blue compare to Yas Marina blue?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #54
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

@SCOTT26, Just spoken to BMW i dealer again and he's said that whist he acknowledges that Display Keys have been produced for people to see, that they were actually a dummy unit, and he is not aware of any real life, fully working prototype Display Key.
So when you say "I am in China at the moment and we are illustrating the display key", do you mean you're illustrating a picture of it, a dummy unit, or a fully functioning 'Display Key'?

Quote:
Found the post you're referring to Carac, it's post #9 in the 'Does the BMW i8 have the coolest key fob ever?' thread. However, what isn't clear from Reshdiu's post, "saw the real thing today - awesome!", is wehether or not he is referring to seeing a dummy unit in real life (as opposed to a photo on the net), a fully functioning 'Display Key', or even just seeing the car in real life!

The reason why I'm pushing to try and find out info on this, is that I an trying to get a clause put into my contract to have the option to upgrade to one if the Display Key does become available. However, BMW UK are reluctant to include this clause as they are adamant it will not be an option for the i8 (either now, nor in the future).

Cheers,
T
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #55
Rockette
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Saw it in person yesterday... it's a beautiful blue.
      04-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #56
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilum View Post
@SCOTT26, Just spoken to BMW i dealer again and he's said that whist he acknowledges that Display Keys have been produced for people to see, that they were actually a dummy unit, and he is not aware of any real life, fully working prototype Display Key.
So when you say "I am in China at the moment and we are illustrating the display key", do you mean you're illustrating a picture of it, a dummy unit, or a fully functioning 'Display Key'?

Found the post you're referring to Carac, it's post #9 in the 'Does the BMW i8 have the coolest key fob ever?' thread. However, what isn't clear from Reshdiu's post, "saw the real thing today - awesome!", is wehether or not he is referring to seeing a dummy unit in real life (as opposed to a photo on the net), a fully functioning 'Display Key', or even just seeing the car in real life!

The reason why I'm pushing to try and find out info on this, is that I an trying to get a clause put into my contract to have the option to upgrade to one if the Display Key does become available. However, BMW UK are reluctant to include this clause as they are adamant it will not be an option for the i8 (either now, nor in the future).

Cheers,
T
The official media documentation for China i8 lists the display key , as I have mentioned previously the first i8s are the first production models built specifically for global demonstrators and evaluation fleet at BMW AG . These use the i3 key. The display key will arrive for customer production models.

China will also receive Laser-Light technology.

See the i8 make its debut in Beijing in Ionic Silver.

http://www.bmwmotorshowblog.com/beij...ss-conference/

And then enjoy a beautiful drive in the country...

04-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #57
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The official media documentation for China i8 lists the display key , as I have mentioned previously the first i8s are the first production models built specifically for global demonstrators and evaluation fleet at BMW AG . These use the i3 key. The display key will arrive for customer production models.
Thanks Scott, I appreciate correct info.
      04-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #58
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Haha the i8 driving on Mulholland Hwy, awesome! It's times like this I wish I still lived in CA.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #59
cienfuegos
Registered
Rep
Drives: Chevelle

Paint code on the Protonic Blue

Anyone know what the paint code for the protonic blue is or what other color it comes close to?
Appreciate 0