BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #23
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

I'd have to agree with Jo-Stao7 on that. My 911 Turbo, although faster and more agile than the F430 and Gallardo I had at the time, could not even come close to even being considered a supercar, in my opinion. The design, functionality and overall feel of the Porsche, leans toward being a track car in contrast to the Ferrari and Lamborghini. However, If we must include muscle and track cars under the category of supercars, then HondoMac is entitled to protect his claim of owning a supercar. That's fine, but it's rather unfortunate that his off putting remarks includes the need of putting down the i8 and their owners, such as myself.

Last edited by YWGT3; 07-09-2017 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #24
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

The i8 is more of a super car (but it isn't) taken as a whole than a viper, imho. Part of what makes a super car is the way the average bystander reacts. And if his Viper is a super car then my new Camaro ZL1 is faster, better built, sounds better, has more power. It would 100% be a supercar and no way would I claim that it is. My 458 on the other hand, bonafide supercar.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #25
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Gotta agree that speed and power do not always classify a super car. I have however always had a soft spot for the viper since I saw one as a kid in the late 90s.

While the newer models definitely have an amazing presence to them- someday when I can justify having a car to simply sit and admire in my garage - i will have a 98 viper in this color
Attached Images

07-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #26
Barago
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8/ghibli

Back in the 90's I was very young....the viper seemed like a supercar/exotic to me. Nowadays people I know see it more like a Z06 competitor and most kids wouldn't really consider it an exotic.

The i8 is a spaceship...the doors alone give it supercar presence. It doesn't have a 3 sec 0-60 but everyone I know besides maybe a few viper owners consider it exotic. This could change as time goes by.

Profession: being competent, loyal and well connected.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 07:12 PM   #27
Barago
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8/ghibli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
Gotta agree that speed and power do not always classify a super car. I have however always had a soft spot for the viper since I saw one as a kid in the late 90s.

While the newer models definitely have an amazing presence to them- someday when I can justify having a car to simply sit and admire in my garage - i will have a 98 viper in this color
Bro I had that exact car on my wall growing up
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #28
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barago View Post
Quote:

I saw one as a kid in the wild. I swore I had just seen Jesus.

There's just something so nostalgic about it. If you put it next to an i8, no one would really care. Then you meet guys in their late 20s/early 30s who remember what it was like to dream about that same car.
      07-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #29
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There's just something so nostalgic about it. If you put it next to an i8, no one would really care. Then you meet guys in their late 20s/early 30s who remember what it was like to dream about that same car.
Me super Italian neighbor had one growing up in that exact spec. My dad had a Ferrari 355. My family is zero Italian. I can't even count how many times he asked to trade lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #30
HustlerX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E93

Quote:

Exactly the same happened to me back in 94 or so, with the same spec as that blue one with white stripes. I always used to tell other kids growing up I'd buy one someday even if I had to be homeless and sleep in the car

To stay on topic I'm in Marketing, real estate, and a couple of other businesses.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 08:05 PM   #31
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlerX5 View Post
Quote:

Exactly the same happened to me back in 94 or so, with the same spec as that blue one with white stripes. I always used to tell other kids growing up I'd buy one someday even if I had to be homeless and sleep in the car

To stay on topic I'm in Marketing, real estate, and a couple of other businesses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Me super Italian neighbor had one growing up in that exact spec. My dad had a Ferrari 355. My family is zero Italian. I can't even count how many times he asked to trade lol.
He wanted to trade his viper for a 355???? Don't get me wrong...my family had a Honda Odyssey so I'm no one to chime in, but I'd much prefer the viper! The looks for its time was just so cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlerX5 View Post
Quote:

Hahahaha same here. To this day I still look at Autotrader just window shopping a few times a month. For the right price I'd pick one up and close that chapter. But I'm still trying to get back into an i8 after giving up my last one (lease take over) because i wasn't driving it and now I want a frozen black one but not at current rates
      07-10-2017, 07:30 AM   #32
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Here's a question, is the new NSX a super car in any of your's opinion?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #33
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
Here's a question, is the new NSX a super car in any of your's opinion?
I think it is. Put brand aside, it checks off the right boxes.

1.) Performance? Check
2.) Looks? Check
3.) Low Production? (Depends on your definition of low) but Check
4.) Gawk Factor? Check
5.) History? Check
6.) Do I want one? lol Check
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #34
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Back on topic, you can lease a pre-owned i8. An open-ended lease from a company like Putnam Leasing is a great way to get into a pre-owned exotic and with favorable tax treatment for business owners.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #35
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Back on topic, you can lease a pre-owned i8. An open-ended lease from a company like Putnam Leasing is a great way to get into a pre-owned exotic and with favorable tax treatment for business owners.
Interesting I looked them up, are these dollar based leases ? To my knowledge residual based leases are for new/demo only. Correct me if I'm wrong.

While I see the favorable tax advantages- don't these open ended leases mean higher payments in comparison?
      07-10-2017, 03:51 PM   #36
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting I looked them up, are these dollar based leases ? To my knowledge residual based leases are for new/demo only. Correct me if I'm wrong.

While I see the favorable tax advantages- don't these open ended leases mean higher payments in comparison?
You can lease a 50 year old Ferrari through Putnam. Doesn't matter how old it is. They won't lease a 2 year old Honda Civic but they will lease a 2 year old i8 or Ferrari or Porsche or other high end car.

With an open ended lease you can get out of it at any time. So if you think the residual is set too low, you can buy the car out and sell for a gain. No huge penalties for buying out early, just a small early term fee of like $400 IIRC.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #37
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You can lease a 50 year old Ferrari through Putnam. Doesn't matter how old it is. They won't lease a 2 year old Honda Civic but they will lease a 2 year old i8 or Ferrari or Porsche or other high end car.

With an open ended lease you can get out of it at any time. So if you think the residual is set too low, you can buy the car out and sell for a gain. No huge penalties for buying out early, just a small early term fee of like $400 IIRC.
Interesting....will be looking into them as an option.
      07-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #38
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Premier Financial Services also does the same
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #39
Twitch Massacre
Major