Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSpa View Post
It can be done for any i8 !
Yes.

Mine was one of the first i8 cars, and it works fine on it.

I believe an extra receiver is installed on early cars though.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #90
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSpa View Post
It can be done for any i8 !
Yes.

Mine was one of the first i8 cars, and it works fine on it.

I believe an extra receiver is installed on early cars though.
Not sure how to force them to sell it to me.
      02-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #91
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
Not sure how to force them to sell it to me.
Perhaps take your business elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #92
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Well so far it's two of the biggest dealers around here. I will definitely keep trying.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #93
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
Well so far it's two of the biggest dealers around here. I will definitely keep trying.
Just show them this thread lol
Appreciate 2
      02-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #94
itzkoolkidkam
@M4CHOM4N
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twm6 View Post
so do we have a working key with the i8 here in the us? anyone?
bump!

my local dealer is stating that BMW will most likely block the order for a VIN that is not associated with a display key. Is that true? Any way around it?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #95
dadasaab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzkoolkidkam View Post
bump!

my local dealer is stating that BMW will most likely block the order for a VIN that is not associated with a display key. Is that true? Any way around it?

Thanks.
Assuming that this is for an i8, like I mentioned in the PM, BMW is not going to block the order given that it is their systems that are associating this part number to the VIN. I am sure the dealership guy is making a mistake somewhere. This part number is for i8 and applies to all 2015+ vehicles with S302A (audible alarm) option. If you don't have the S302A option, which is rare, then the correct part # is 66129867200.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2017, 07:12 AM   #96
IdTamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8 Pure Impulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadasaab View Post
Assuming that this is for an i8, like I mentioned in the PM, BMW is not going to block the order given that it is their systems that are associating this part number to the VIN. I am sure the dealership guy is making a mistake somewhere. This part number is for i8 and applies to all 2015+ vehicles with S302A (audible alarm) option. If you don't have the S302A option, which is rare, then the correct part # is 66129867200.
Is there an easy way to see if we have audible alarm? Not sure where my build sheet went
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 09:46 AM   #97
dadasaab
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdTamer View Post
Is there an easy way to see if we have audible alarm? Not sure where my build sheet went
VIN Decoder is the easiest option:

https://www.bmwvin.com/

Put your VIN # in, and it should give you a complete list of the features that came with your car.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #98
dadasaab
Enlisted Member
Rep

For those that are having trouble at the dealership with ordering, there's a positing on ebay from a guy that has access to the dealership:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BMW-OEM-I12-i...BYTP8X&vxp=mtr

His price is definitely higher, but he may be an option to those that are having trouble sourcing the key.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2017, 05:00 PM   #99
twm6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Protonic Blue I8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadasaab View Post
For those that are having trouble at the dealership with ordering, there's a positing on ebay from a guy that has access to the dealership:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BMW-OEM-I12-i...BYTP8X&vxp=mtr

His price is definitely higher, but he may be an option to those that are having trouble sourcing the key.
nice find, has anyone here in the US actually gotten it to work?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 05:57 AM   #100
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Calf T 911, GTS, RR S Class

My 2014 is at the dealership (fixing a check engine light), and they ordered the display key for me, no problems with BMW. I should have the car back by tomorrow (they are waiting on a part), with the display working. From what I was told they need to have you there in person and you must show drivers license and proof of ownership. I have been working with my dealer a long time (bought 27 BMW's from the same salesperson), and my i8 is BMW#41 (bought 2 weeks ago CPO I have a 650 and a 440 GC also), and no one questioned me when I asked them to order it. I did pay a bit more than (around $50.00) Tischer's price but they would not let me order it online.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #101
itzkoolkidkam
@M4CHOM4N
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreezenovel View Post
My 2014 is at the dealership (fixing a check engine light), and they ordered the display key for me, no problems with BMW. I should have the car back by tomorrow (they are waiting on a part), with the display working. From what I was told they need to have you there in person and you must show drivers license and proof of ownership. I have been working with my dealer a long time (bought 27 BMW's from the same salesperson), and my i8 is BMW#41 (bought 2 weeks ago CPO I have a 650 and a 440 GC also), and no one questioned me when I asked them to order it. I did pay a bit more than (around $50.00) Tischer's price but they would not let me order it online.
Which dealership is this?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 06:22 PM   #102
twm6
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
wow, that is exciting news...please update us when you get your car and keys...pictures would be nice
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 06:16 AM   #103
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

BMW of the Main Line, and here is the car and the key.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #104
twm6
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
seeing is believing...time to bug my SA. Would you happen to have the part # or what not I can provide him to order?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #105
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by twm6 View Post
Quote:
seeing is believing...time to bug my SA. Would you happen to have the part # or what not I can provide him to order?
Part # 66129867202
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:39 PM   #106
ngl1145
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Congrats on getting the key to work with your '14

Can you list the part numbers on your invoice? I see a lot of numbers and didn't want the wrong version.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 02:23 AM   #107
Barago
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8/ghibli

Quote:
Nice! How big is that sucker in your pocket?

My Maserati key is like a brick!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 05:40 AM   #108
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

Okay I will try and answer all your questions. The key is big and the spare key that is attached to normal key is given to you in a plastic bag (they suggest you keep it in your wallet), but since there is no way to attach a key ring (unless you buy a key case that has one) you will need a key ring for the rest of your keys. I have owned a few Maserati's and this key is bigger. If you want the key you are going to have to go to the dealer with proof of ownership and your license, they take your VIN and place the order with BMW (my work order has a lot of part numbers they were also fixing a check engine light issue). The dealers parts department had to do a little research to get the correct parts so I would rather you let your dealer get the parts for you since they told me they needed to call BMW to make sure everything would work. My car did require the transmitter to be installed in order for the key to work. The key is sort of a gimmick (if I had to pay full price for it I would have passed) and though I'm not unhappy with it, the gimmick part wears off quickly. I am not a big guy (5'8 152lbs) and the key is not an issue when it is jacket weather but I can see it might be a problem in the summer when you are in shorts and a t shirt. My dealer and I have a long history (almost 25 years I have bought 27 cars from the same salesperson) and everyone knows the crazy Autistic writer who buy more cars a year than underwear and socks. I have also sent them many customers so I will admit I am treated some what different and they did everything for me when the key came. I was told that to install the transmitter buy the key and programming to someone else would have been about $1400. I hope this clears everything up.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #109
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Okay I will try and answer all your questions. The key is big and the spare key that is attached to normal key is given to you in a plastic bag (they suggest you keep it in your wallet), but since there is no way to attach a key ring (unless you buy a key case that has one) you will need a key ring for the rest of your keys. I have owned a few Maserati's and this key is bigger. If you want the key you are going to have to go to the dealer with proof of ownership and your license, they take your VIN and place the order with BMW (my work order has a lot of part numbers they were also fixing a check engine light issue). The dealers parts department had to do a little research to get the correct parts so I would rather you let your dealer get the parts for you since they told me they needed to call BMW to make sure everything would work. My car did require the transmitter to be installed in order for the key to work. The key is sort of a gimmick (if I had to pay full price for it I would have passed) and though I'm not unhappy with it, the gimmick part wears off quickly. I am not a big guy (5'8 152lbs) and the key is not an issue when it is jacket weather but I can see it might be a problem in the summer when you are in shorts and a t shirt. My dealer and I have a long history (almost 25 years I have bought 27 cars from the same salesperson) and everyone knows the crazy Autistic writer who buy more cars a year than underwear and socks. I have also sent them many customers so I will admit I am treated some what different and they did everything for me when the key came. I was told that to install the transmitter buy the key and programming to someone else would have been about $1400. I hope this clears everything up.
Does the transmitter by any chance add comfort access to the 2014 when you have the new key? If it does, worth the price of entry.....I am like you, too many BMWs and comfort access retrofit hasn't been an option in the past since you need a different setup but maybe the transmitter and key can connect when you get close and open the car magically. The more I think about it and type the less realistic it sounds.

Godspeed.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 05:13 AM   #110
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

My car was a Pure Impulse (close to 150K sticker) and all the key added to it was what the key can do. I do not believe the key changes anything else. I must say for all the engineering the Europeans are supposed to have, sometimes they seem quite behind. I bought my girlfriend an AMG GLE on Saturday, and the MB app will remote start the car but the car must be locked and when you get in the car it shuts off and you have to restart it. Duh, my dogs 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee (which was about 1/3 the price) has auto start on the key car locks after it starts and when you get in the car you just push the start button and drive away. BMW, MB & Porsche need to get with the program.
Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1045.50