Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-01-2017, 05:36 AM   #111
Barago
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8/ghibli

Thanks for all the info. Hypothetically you could use the new DD key sometimes and the smaller spare other times im guessing.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 06:22 PM   #112
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
Well...they can...it just goes through the cell network unfortunately.
Only to lock/unlock or command the vehicle to just do a few, few things, not to operate the vehicle. I can't go for a drive with only my cell phone.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 11:00 PM   #113
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
So I just got my display key from my dealership today for my '15 i8 (US). I'm wondering if there is a way to access a settings menu for the key itself. I need to turn the brightness on this massive thing down before it burns a hole through my skull. Also, has anyone found a decent case for this? BMW hilariously omitted a way to attach a keychain, and to be honest this is a large piece of glass and plastic which does not seem as robust as a regular key is. So seeing as I drop my keys regularly, I'm in need of some kind of case, preferably with the option to attach a keychain. Currently all BMW has to offer is a $50ish leather envelope which covers the entire key and scores a 0 in practicality (also not "keychainable"), and a $300ish S&M bodysuit by Mont Blanc which scores a perfect 10 in douchery (but is "keychainable"). Any clues greatly appreciated.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 02:38 AM   #114
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
So I just got my display key from my dealership today for my '15 i8 (US). I'm wondering if there is a way to access a settings menu for the key itself. I need to turn the brightness on this massive thing down before it burns a hole through my skull. Also, has anyone found a decent case for this? BMW hilariously omitted a way to attach a keychain, and to be honest this is a large piece of glass and plastic which does not seem as robust as a regular key is. So seeing as I drop my keys regularly, I'm in need of some kind of case, preferably with the option to attach a keychain. Currently all BMW has to offer is a $50ish leather envelope which covers the entire key and scores a 0 in practicality (also not "keychainable"), and a $300ish S&M bodysuit by Mont Blanc which scores a perfect 10 in douchery (but is "keychainable"). Any clues greatly appreciated.
Not surebif the 7 series display key is the same, but yoj can get exactly what you are looking for on a 7er

http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/discover-bmw/accessories/accessoryDetail.accessoryId=10691.html
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:16 PM   #115
twm6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Protonic Blue I8

Quote:
mind sharing what did you have to do to get the key?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #116
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twm6 View Post
Quote:
mind sharing what did you have to do to get the key?
I simply walked into my dealership's part department with my license and registration, gave the guy the part number, he then tried to tell me the key is not on the part list for my car and that he wouldn't be able to order it because it wouldn't work and the part is non-refundable. I obviously brushed this off and politely asked him to order it anyways, if it didn't work (I was 100% sure it would anyways) I'd just have a really futuristic looking $600 paperweight. They looked at my proof of ownership and ordered it and the key arrived in two business days. When it arrived the same guy told me "I looked into it further, it will work for yours cause it's a 15 but it won't work on 14s". I think we determined that too is inaccurate since some members here have them working on 14s already. Anyways, once I got it I just opened my car with my old key (which now resembles a spare valet key in comparison to the huge but luxurious looking display key), left the old key out of range, held the new key up to the magic spot and it was instantly paired. Been working like a charm ever since, except I can't seem to get the preconditioning to act right. Really like the fact that you can turn the display function completely off when you want to and the key still works like a conventional BMW key fob so I was pleasantly surprised there's no real need to worry about constantly charging it or the battery going flat. The battery seems to last a very long time even though I've been playing around with it like a child does with his new iPhone on his first week of ownership, and there's really nothing to worry about in the event of it going completely dead if I forget to charge it in the next few days.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 04:13 AM   #117
ElSpa
Private First Class
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8 Pure Impulse

I just got my key from the dealer, it's a 2014 car. They installed the Comfort Acces Module also, it was required for the key to work.
I didn't had keyless entry before, and I tought with this install I will have it now but it seems it doesn't. Is this right ?
Also how can I program it for preconditionng ? I press On, the cursor "thinks" for a few seconds but it doesn't switch to On, it stays Off.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 07:26 AM   #118
ElSpa
Private First Class
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Yes.

Mine was one of the first i8 cars, and it works fine on it.

I believe an extra receiver is installed on early cars though.
is your car 2014 ? did you have keyless entry enabled after installing it ?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 09:15 AM   #119
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSpa View Post
is your car 2014 ? did you have keyless entry enabled after installing it ?
Keyless entry (Comfort Access) is a factory fitted option. Your dealer would need to change body panels to ones that include the touch sensor if it was to be upgraded.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #120
ElSpa
Private First Class
Romania
Rep

Ok .
What about preconditioning. When I press on what will happend with the climate control ?
Can I input the temperature ? Or when is cold outside it will heat the cabin and vice-versa ?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #121
dadasaab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
I simply walked into my dealership's part department with my license and registration, gave the guy the part number, he then tried to tell me the key is not on the part list for my car and that he wouldn't be able to order it because it wouldn't work and the part is non-refundable. I obviously brushed this off and politely asked him to order it anyways, if it didn't work (I was 100% sure it would anyways) I'd just have a really futuristic looking $600 paperweight. They looked at my proof of ownership and ordered it and the key arrived in two business days. When it arrived the same guy told me "I looked into it further, it will work for yours cause it's a 15 but it won't work on 14s". I think we determined that too is inaccurate since some members here have them working on 14s already. Anyways, once I got it I just opened my car with my old key (which now resembles a spare valet key in comparison to the huge but luxurious looking display key), left the old key out of range, held the new key up to the magic spot and it was instantly paired. Been working like a charm ever since, except I can't seem to get the preconditioning to act right. Really like the fact that you can turn the display function completely off when you want to and the key still works like a conventional BMW key fob so I was pleasantly surprised there's no real need to worry about constantly charging it or the battery going flat. The battery seems to last a very long time even though I've been playing around with it like a child does with his new iPhone on his first week of ownership, and there's really nothing to worry about in the event of it going completely dead if I forget to charge it in the next few days.

I love the fact that it's got a long battery life. It also has QI charging enabled. So you can put it on a wireless charging pad and it'll start charging - the best feature in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #122
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ok .
What about preconditioning. When I press on what will happend with the climate control ?
Can I input the temperature ? Or when is cold outside it will heat the cabin and vice-versa ?
The remote climate control function will automatically either cool or heat the car depending on the outside temperature. It doesn't allow (or need) you to set a temperature.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #123
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I just got my key from the dealer, it's a 2014 car. They installed the Comfort Acces Module also, it was required for the key to work.
I didn't had keyless entry before, and I tought with this install I will have it now but it seems it doesn't. Is this right ?
Also how can I program it for preconditionng ? I press On, the cursor "thinks" for a few seconds but it doesn't switch to On, it stays Off.
For the climate control, it is "on" when you see the fan icon flashing on the display key.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #124
dadasaab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Ok .
Pre-conditioning, from what I've read in the manual, does 2 things:

1. Get your car to the temperature that you have set in your climate control - you can't set your own temperature through the key. It's binary, you can only turn it on and off.
2. It primes your battery; given that you're connected to a power source, the pre-conditioning allows for you to use the charging source to prime the battery and climate control.

Furthermore, if you didn't have comfort access before, then they'd have to install sensors all over your car to make it work, it isn't as simple as just the module. So, I'd be a bit suspicious in the dealership telling you that they enabled it for you just like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #125
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadasaab View Post
Quote:

I love the fact that it's got a long battery life. It also has QI charging enabled. So you can put it on a wireless charging pad and it'll start charging - the best feature in my opinion.
I've actually been discussing the wireless charging with another owner today. We were talking about how, when the i8 and display key were first shown together, BMW pictured the key in a holder in front of the gear lever which presumably also charged the key wirelessly. However, in production versions of the i8 we don't have the piece with the indentation in front of the lever (possibly omitted by the time the display key was scrapped from the initial i8 launch). Instead we have a flat plastic piece which is oddly simple to remove, even by BMW standards (almost like it wasn't meant to be there in the first place). I've removed this piece multiple times and have noticed there's not much space for anything underneath it and no signs (that I can tell) for any preexisting connectors, so the possibility of a retrofit (assuming this i8 wireless charging feature ever became available) seem slim-to-none. It would be nice to have the option to charge your key by simply resting it in this key holder, or to at the very least have a proper place to put these big display keys while we drive. I'm not usually comfortable driving with things in my pocket. I usually throw my keys in the cup holder (when available) and my phone and wallet in the small storage space under the center armrest. Picture of the items in question below:
Attached Images

Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #126
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
P.S. if anyone has access to a 3D printer and the know how on how to make such a part, you have yourself a customer right here.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #127
carholic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Display Key for sale

Hi

I just got mine a few months ago. My car is up for lease assumption soon, and therefore the key is up for sale. I paid over $1200 with the USB cable and spare key and labor. Selling everything (except the spare key which will be useless to the new owner of the key). Even has an inductive charger I bought on Amazon that I will throw in. Works great with the key.

Selling all of that for $600 including shipping.

Email me at carholic@verizon.net if interested. Thanks.

Last edited by carholic; 03-11-2017 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: addition
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 05:38 AM   #128
LarryClark
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

For Sale: BMW OEM i8 Radio Remote Control Display Key Retrofit - No Reserve

I have just put mine on eBay for sale if anyone interested:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/272763277075?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #129
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Also, has anyone found a decent case for this?
Yes, BMW make a custom leather case for it, which is very good.

I got one free with my key - but note that it is not normally included and is a separate purchase item. About £50-£60 here I think.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 11:14 PM   #130
Type11
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

Links

I am probably being dense but I don't see on the links how to actually order anything
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #131
FastCar
Rep
Drives: Black Tera World I8

I8 2014

My BMW center is telling me the pn you gave is not compatible with my car and it will not allow him to order the digital key for me. Mine is a 2015 but he said it was a 2014 build sold January 2015. Could that be the reason? Any advice would be great as I really have been trying to get this digital key for my I8! Thx.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #132
FastCar
Rep
Drives: Black Tera World I8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreezenovel View Post
My 2014 is at the dealership (fixing a check engine light), and they ordered the display key for me, no problems with BMW. I should have the car back by tomorrow (they are waiting on a part), with the display working. From what I was told they need to have you there in person and you must show drivers license and proof of ownership. I have been working with my dealer a long time (bought 27 BMW's from the same salesperson), and my i8 is BMW#41 (bought 2 weeks ago CPO I have a 650 and a 440 GC also), and no one questioned me when I asked them to order it. I did pay a bit more than (around $50.00) Tischer's price but they would not let me order it online.
I am trying now to get this Key in Atlanta for my 1/22/2015 production I8 and they keep pushing back saying it is not available. What do the dealerships give such a hard time if you are able to order? It doesn't make sense.
Appreciate 0