Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

06-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #1
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

Ok Fellas: I had a decent test drive in the Camaro. It's unreal. The acceleration is like all consuming. Felt easily as strong as the 458. The gear box is so fast when you're on it. Feels like a double clutch. The sound is tremendous it fills the cabin. It also is a very muscular and pleasant sound. The steering was perfectly weighted and direct. It's also very reasonable. I'm going to pick it up I think. I recommend you all going out to get one.

Best part of the test drive. The former chief of police works at this dealer. He saw me pull up in the i8 and couldn't believe the car so I let him drive. When they pulled the Camaro out for a drive he made a couple phone calls and had two cops block off a half mile section of road for about 15 minutes so I could floor it. How awesome it that!!
Appreciate 3
jcpca356164.00
amw896582.50
      06-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Here's a pic
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
Here's a pic
Sorry
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 05:39 AM   #4
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Calf T 911, GTS, RR S Class

Nice I am going the other way, I have decided I like cars with limited appeal, the i8, 4c, RF, and soon a Lotus Evora 400 (gearshift). I like that Camaro, but I like it would end up like the C7 sitting in one of my garages with 800 miles on it. I guess I just think I'm too old for a muscle car. Good luck with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 07:39 AM   #5
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreezenovel View Post
Nice I am going the other way, I have decided I like cars with limited appeal, the i8, 4c, RF, and soon a Lotus Evora 400 (gearshift). I like that Camaro, but I like it would end up like the C7 sitting in one of my garages with 800 miles on it. I guess I just think I'm too old for a muscle car. Good luck with it.
I think I'm with you on that one. I love daft muscle cars and extremes but recently while cycling behind a Jag F-Type I couldn't help thinking how derivative these types of cars are these days. Big fat tyres? check. Huge engine? check. Fat noisy exhaust? check. Hot Wheels styling? Check.

I'm not singling out the Jag but what makes any of these cars different from each other?
Aye-eight508.50
      06-23-2017, 07:49 AM   #6
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
I like the car just don't like the steps manufacturers take to achieve 'Ring times like use slicks and cut tread on them to make them look OEM tires. If you are out to see what the car is capable of, tell the public what you did with the tires.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 1
Aye-eight508.50
      06-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

My advice to you guys is don't let any pre conceived notions of muscle cars fool you with this thing. I've driven tons of cars, F12's, 675 LT, Huracan, Aventador, have a 458 obviously and this thing feels like a super car in the same sort of way. When I hit the accelerator my involuntary reaction was to say "wowww". The steering is milesss better than previous GM projects and the ride and chassis are incredible (plenty of articles have articulated this).

It's the most pure fun I've had in a car since the last 675LT I drove. Oh and it's 1/6 the price....
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
I honestly haven't heard one bad thing about this gen Camaro ZL1. What kind of mark-up over MSRP are they asking for it?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #9
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
I honestly haven't heard one bad thing about this gen Camaro ZL1. What kind of mark-up over MSRP are they asking for it?
Zero mark up, 3k below MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #10
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
What?!?! Sign me up!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 05:39 AM   #11
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
And nobody thinks there might be a reason for that?

While I have no reason to doubt your experience with the car, I still don't think it's able to break out of the general conundrum of the car industry in the US. Certainly not if they're already discounting them.

As long as cheaper is better and everyone always looks only for the best deal, American OEMs will continue to have a hard time making cars that are actually better. And imports will remain the preferred choice for those who can afford it.

The US car makers have let themselves get cornered by competing on price, rather than quality or innovation - just like the airlines. The result is products that are made to look appealing but follow a very basic and cheap formula. What new technology, what innovation have the traditional US car makers (excluding Tesla) produced in the last 30 years? None. It's just repackaging of the same old thing.

And personally, that's what's bugging me about it. If I want retro, I get the real thing. But I'm not going to put an automotive grandpa dressed like Superman in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 06:10 AM   #12
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

I have no problem with high torque monsters (have had my share of them), though the Ftype R was one of the worst cars (I tried giving it to my girlfriend she gave it back) I have ever owned. I have just found that I appreciate the cars that to me are the most fun to drive without killing me. For me at least it is easier to control a lighter less powerful car than a 2 ton freight train with rocket power, since I almost never drive with traction controls (didn't have that stuff when I learned to drive, never got used to it), unless I'm in one of the SUV's. When it comes to cars I don't care about all the stuff others do, all that matters to me is that I enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 07:34 AM   #13
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have no problem with high torque monsters (have had my share of them), though the Ftype R was one of the worst cars (I tried giving it to my girlfriend she gave it back) I have ever owned. I have just found that I appreciate the cars that to me are the most fun to drive without killing me. For me at least it is easier to control a lighter less powerful car than a 2 ton freight train with rocket power, since I almost never drive with traction controls (didn't have that stuff when I learned to drive, never got used to it), unless I'm in one of the SUV's. When it comes to cars I don't care about all the stuff others do, all that matters to me is that I enjoy it.
Well you know the saying. It's more fun to drive a 'slow car' fast than a 'fast car' slow...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 07:40 AM   #14
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
Quote:
And nobody thinks there might be a reason for that?

While I have no reason to doubt your experience with the car, I still don't think it's able to break out of the general conundrum of the car industry in the US. Certainly not if they're already discounting them.

As long as cheaper is better and everyone always looks only for the best deal, American OEMs will continue to have a hard time making cars that are actually better. And imports will remain the preferred choice for those who can afford it.

The US car makers have let themselves get cornered by competing on price, rather than quality or innovation - just like the airlines. The result is products that are made to look appealing but follow a very basic and cheap formula. What new technology, what innovation have the traditional US car makers (excluding Tesla) produced in the last 30 years? None. It's just repackaging of the same old thing.

And personally, that's what's bugging me about it. If I want retro, I get the real thing. But I'm not going to put an automotive grandpa dressed like Superman in my garage.
it's 60k....

To get be able to get a car with that kind of performance, not just straight line but cornering as well, for 60k is unreal. You realize the ZL1 was faster around big willow than a 570s right? GM's Camaro/vet chassis and the new 10 speed auto are actually innovative. They're maybe the best in the business.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #15
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

There is no doubt in my mind that Chevy has built a truly amazing machine. I hope you enjoy, but I don't think I will need the hope part. Have fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #16
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There is no doubt in my mind that Chevy has built a truly amazing machine. I hope you enjoy, but I don't think I will need the hope part. Have fun.
If I'm ever your way you can borrow the car. You've bought enough at this point
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 05:43 AM   #17
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, the Lotus 400 I'm thinking about buying is up your way in Wexford, at Wright Automotive Group. It is the Yellow gearshift car. I have been following Geely (in the stock market bought 100,000 shares when it was under 30 cents own even more of it now)for quite some time. I do not see them keeping Lotus in the U.S. with one car they make no money on. This is not a company that will let that continue to happen. Sadly I do not think the future for Lotus in our country is not a very good one. I will be glad to take that car off their hands for 75K if that ends up happening.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 05:50 AM   #18
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, the Lotus 400 I'm thinking about buying is up your way in Wexford, at Wright Automotive Group. It is the Yellow gearshift car. I have been following Geely (in the stock market bought 100,000 shares when it was under 30 cents own even more of it now)for quite some time. I do not see them keeping Lotus in the U.S. with one car they make no money on. This is not a company that will let that continue to happen. Sadly I do not think the future for Lotus in our country is not a very good one. I will be glad to take that car off their hands for 75K if that ends up happening.
Kenny Wright is a friend. PM me if you'd like to mention my name.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 01:15 PM   #19
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
it's 60k....

To get be able to get a car with that kind of performance, not just straight line but cornering as well, for 60k is unreal. You realize the ZL1 was faster around big willow than a 570s right? GM's Camaro/vet chassis and the new 10 speed auto are actually innovative. They're maybe the best in the business.
I think we agree to disagree, which is just fine.

60k - my point exactly. How much quality - workmanship and materials - and how much resale value can you expect? Cheap is the name of the game here, and that never goes particularly well in the long run.

8 and 9-speeds are all over the place, Honda is coming out with a 10 as well, I don't see the innovation in that. It's another fairly meaningless number on the spec sheet to boast about. That's not best in anything in my book. And depending on the track, the total shift time - through the sheer number of gear shifts executed, even if very fast - will work against the effect of having more ratios available. Especially in a high-torque engine, which frankly, should be fine with far fewer gears.

The ZL1 went around the Nürburgring in 7:29. Anything under 8 minutes is a great time. But the little Alfa Romeo Giulia was pretty much equally fast at 7:32. There's at least seven street-legal cars under 7 minutes, incl. Porsche 918 and Lambo Huracán. The all-electric Nio EP9 did it in 6:45. That's where I would go looking for innovation and "best in the business". Oh, and the 2007 Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR did it in 7:12.

Sorry, I'm just not a big fan anymore of more and more conventional grunt.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 05:51 AM   #20
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

I think that I am going to need to wait a bit longer before I start offering 20-25K off sticker, I do not want to insult your friend. I have my info in with a few dealers and they all told me the same thing, no discount like that are available. At some point they will all be calling me I think trying to get rid of these cars. If you want to mention you have someone who is interested, that would be great, but I don't think these dealers know what's coming. I may be wrong but I have been following this companies moves for almost two years and my stock portfolio tells me I have been right so far. As far as the ZL1 I may be getting a test drive this weekend, though this one is a gearshift car.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 06:21 AM   #21
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Enjoy it, I'm picking mine up tomorrow. The only issue with the car is the fact that the roads aren't constantly clear for me to put the pedal down.

It's also strange but it's a car that makes me appreciate the genius of the i8. I don't have the luxury of having the 458 in pittsburgh as it lives in Scottsdale AZ. Getting out of the Camaro which is so physical and into the i8 made the i8's amazing GT qualities shine even more. They really tick different boxes which is what I want.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 05:11 AM   #22
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

Quote:
Enjoy it, I'm picking mine up tomorrow. The only issue with the car is the fact that the roads aren't constantly clear for me to put the pedal down.

It's also strange but it's a car that makes me appreciate the genius of the i8. I don't have the luxury of having the 458 in pittsburgh as it lives in Scottsdale AZ. Getting out of the Camaro which is so physical and into the i8 made the i8's amazing GT qualities shine even more. They really tick different boxes which is what I want.
You just hit on the reason I have so many cars, everyone asks me what my favorite is. I always say the same thing, the last one I drove.
Appreciate 1