Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
I can confirm following a road trip this weekend that my i8 can hit 158 mph (indicated) and had no issue getting there. I wonder, does the cars limiter stop it at 160 in which case a tuned car will slam into it or does that governor not exist?
Someone on the Munich run:

Remember that there is an upper limit, due to the maximum RPM of the electric motor. 160mph might well be it.
That's what I was thinking. I was surprised by how easily the car did 158 though.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 03:22 AM   #24
phoenixcsl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 / E46 M3 CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsi View Post
Hi Phoenixcsl, would you mind elaborating a little more pls? What sort of gains did you get in bhp / torque terms?

How was the work carried out? Ecu tune only?

Cost?

What happens if you get a software update at the dealer? Do they re flash your ecu for free?

Any fuel consumption change?

Would love to hear more.

Cheers,

Eric.
Hey mate,

Sorry, not been on for a few days so didn't reply, wasn't being rude

1. Power gains, they were unable to rolling road the car due to having a new dyno cell being built at the time unfortunately, BUT seat of the pants dyno, the car is quicker, it's faster than my friends i8 which is standard.

2. You would have to speak to Martin @ Quantum, I got a special deal as I was the first i8 they did in the UK last year.

3. ECU is removed from the vehicle and then tune applied to it, so yes ECU tune only.

4. Yes, I've had software updates at my dealer and they re-flashed my ECU for free

5. Fuel consumption wise, i'm averaging 37.8mpg since I've had the car, I don't tend to drive the car as economically as I could, the mpg isn't much different to when I had the original map, but the car is quicker, if I drove more frugally I'm sure i'd be averaging over 40mpg with ease. To be honest the car is super economical for something with 350bhp+ as standard.

Let me know if you need more info, or if you fancy a trip to Surrey, i'll take you out in it and you can see the difference
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 06:37 AM   #25
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixcsl View Post
Hey mate,

Sorry, not been on for a few days so didn't reply, wasn't being rude

1. Power gains, they were unable to rolling road the car due to having a new dyno cell being built at the time unfortunately, BUT seat of the pants dyno, the car is quicker, it's faster than my friends i8 which is standard.

2. You would have to speak to Martin @ Quantum, I got a special deal as I was the first i8 they did in the UK last year.

3. ECU is removed from the vehicle and then tune applied to it, so yes ECU tune only.

4. Yes, I've had software updates at my dealer and they re-flashed my ECU for free

5. Fuel consumption wise, i'm averaging 37.8mpg since I've had the car, I don't tend to drive the car as economically as I could, the mpg isn't much different to when I had the original map, but the car is quicker, if I drove more frugally I'm sure i'd be averaging over 40mpg with ease. To be honest the car is super economical for something with 350bhp+ as standard.

Let me know if you need more info, or if you fancy a trip to Surrey, i'll take you out in it and you can see the difference
I am actually in Surrey near Kenley, would love if you could take me out for a quick spin. Where are you based in Surrey?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #26
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Post 2 tuning options in UK

Just to consolidate and put both direct links in one post, for reference purposes

https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/servi...e-1#t3-content

http://www.quantumtuning.co.uk/ecu-r...1kWh - 362-BHP
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 06:17 AM   #27
phoenixcsl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 / E46 M3 CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsi View Post
I am actually in Surrey near Kenley, would love if you could take me out for a quick spin. Where are you based in Surrey?
Are you? You're not far at all mate!

I'm in Redhill, so literally just down the road!

Give me a PM and pop over
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 10:46 PM   #28
Emon Crew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' crystal white i8

Not to sound like a troll or knock anyones tunes here, but I feel like the ECU re-flashes that are getting done are giving minimal power boosts. I haven't seen any dyno's of results and I'm willing to bet it's because there isn't a significant upgrade in hp/tq. I say this because ideally, if I were a company tuning and did a flash/tune that gave great power output, I'd be sure to post the results. Anywhere and Everywhere thus far, I've only seen excuses as to why there's no Dyno (there's 2 different motors, the car is complicated, the dyno wasn't working, etc...). Correct me if I'm wrong here, but in order to have Dyno numbers for WHP, all you really need is 4 wheels and a Dyno right?
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2017, 11:20 AM   #29
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emon Crew View Post
Not to sound like a troll or knock anyones tunes here, but I feel like the ECU re-flashes that are getting done are giving minimal power boosts. I haven't seen any dyno's of results and I'm willing to bet it's because there isn't a significant upgrade in hp/tq. I say this because ideally, if I were a company tuning and did a flash/tune that gave great power output, I'd be sure to post the results. Anywhere and Everywhere thus far, I've only seen excuses as to why there's no Dyno (there's 2 different motors, the car is complicated, the dyno wasn't working, etc...). Correct me if I'm wrong here, but in order to have Dyno numbers for WHP, all you really need is 4 wheels and a Dyno right?
Was looking on Celtic Tuning's site and they've posted a graph from a 2015 i8...

https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/compo...e-1#t3-content

You need to click the "View Chart" button.

I'm with you when it appears a few people have had the tune but no rolling road session. For me, Celtic would come to my house and rip out the ECU so I wouldn't have a dyno test either. I'm sure a few people could post before and after 1/4 mile times or simple 0-60 times to back up the claims?
      07-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #30
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
I'm with you when it appears a few people have had the tune but no rolling road session. For me, Celtic would come to my house and rip out the ECU so I wouldn't have a dyno test either. I'm sure a few people could post before and after 1/4 mile times or simple 0-60 times to back up the claims?
I think it's a fair question, and not entirely trollish, but there are examples in this very thread. Amgeater shared quite a few results which I think give some pretty good insight into the performance. As for myself, I don't do runs like that, but as previously stated I was able to get my best 0-60 from 4.5 down to 4.0 flat (with the caveat that it wasn't back-to-back runs).

Personally, I think dynos are only useful for tuning purposes. Getting numbers doesn't mean a whole lot - the drivability and real-world performance is what matters. You can have a 700 rwhp car with such a peaky torque curve that it's hardly any fun out on the street. That said, I know you're just looking for comparison purposes, but I would say you can expect improvements in the 10-15% range depending on who you go with and the fuel octane available to you. Gotta remember they are only boosting that 1.5l ICE in the rear...can't expect a lot.

And therein lies the likely reason behind not seeing any charts besides the one or two from a couple of the companies. It's just not really worth the time, effort, cost or risk. At the very least you need an AWD dyno, which not everyone has. Just having a dyno isn't everything, though - I'm not going to take mine to some Civic or Subie shop that has no experience with the i8 (your point about it being complicated shouldn't be glossed over). Gintani didn't have a dyno at the time I was there - they had recently bought a new one that was in the process of getting installed.

Adding up the time and cost just to get them to tell me it puts down 360/420 to the wheel...not enticing to me. I would rather just drive it and enjoy it. That's my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 04:27 PM   #31
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Was looking on Celtic Tuning's site and they've posted a graph from a 2015 i8...

https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/compo...e-1#t3-content

You need to click the "View Chart" button.

Those charts are from an i8 owner I know, who is on here. I will let him comment if he wishes to. But he has told me the extra power is noticeable.

I've not personally driven his i8, or run it side by side with mine yet though.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 03:24 AM   #32
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Those charts are from an i8 owner I know, who is on here. I will let him comment if he wishes to. But he has told me the extra power is noticeable.

I've not personally driven his i8, or run it side by side with mine yet though.
I'm on the fence at the moment about a re-map. If the electric motor could be unlocked at the same time then I'd jump in and also widen the front rubber accordingly.

As it stands, not sure I'd personally notice much difference with the crappy traffic and roads in England. I had a 635d remapped from 282bhp to 325bhp with torque over 500 ft lbs (verified by back-to-back dynos) and I couldn't honestly say I noticed the difference.

The i8 is a lighter car though so probably more noticeable with a similar bump in power.
      07-31-2017, 11:57 AM   #33
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
LMAO Great post
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 08:26 AM   #34
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I recall someone installed a piggy back tune and it quickly caused a CEL and shortly thereafter the owner received a call from BMW to bring the car in.

Perhaps this was the only piggy back tune tried. Everyone who is tuned - are you guys flashed? And has anyone with a flash tune had a CEL or any other related issues?

Cheers.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #35
carlos@velosdesignwerks
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

If anyone has any questions about the tune feel free to PM, email at stephen@velosdesignwerks.com or call the office at 7864016520 will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 07:03 AM   #36
Rostman
Rep

My opinion is to tune the i8 without touching the electric motor is unacceptable. You can easily increase the power output with electric engine just with press a few buttons without any damage to the motor (may be discharge will be a little quicker). This is the biggest tune improvemenet.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #37
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostman
My opinion is to tune the i8 without touching the electric motor is unacceptable. You can easily increase the power output with electric engine just with press a few buttons without any damage to the motor (may be discharge will be a little quicker). This is the biggest tune improvemenet.
well if it's so easy as you make it sound, why you haven't come up with the solution....since its as easy as just pushing a couple of bottons. if you do please keep me in mind

Last edited by Amgeater2; 08-23-2017 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 09:33 AM   #38
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
well if it's so easy as you make it sound, why you have come up with the solution....since its as easy as just pushing a couple of bottons. if you do please keep me in mind
Can't be harder than that surely

I suspect the software is very well encrypted and a nightmare to unlock, however the technical training manual indicates the e-motor is indeed the one from the i3.
If anyone unlocks it, I'd want to see what impact it has on the battery cycling not to mention any heat issues on the motor and cables. Even if the motor is the same as the i3, the cabling, cooling and battery management could well be different on that car.
Aye-eight508.50
      08-23-2017, 12:09 PM   #39
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
however the technical training manual indicates the e-motor is indeed the one from the i3.
I specifically asked the senior i Division engineer about this in Munich and he categorically stated it was not the same as the i3 motor.

I will ask again in Leipzig next week
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 12:17 PM   #40
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
I specifically asked the senior i Division engineer about this in Munich and he categorically stated it was not the same as the i3 motor.

Nobody on here who has access to the part numbers?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #41
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Good man Always useful to know for definite!

From the Technical Training manual on the i8:

http://www.rotory.com/bmw/I8.pdf

"TheelectricalmachineintheI12providesthene cessarytorqueforthedriveatthefrontaxle.It can
alsochargethehigh-voltagebatterywithelectricalenergythroughbra keenergyregeneration(energy
recovery).
ThedifferencestotheelectricalmachineintheI 01areminimal.Thetwovariantsonlydifferin
thedesignofthehousing(flangeandassemblycon nection)andintheirperformancedata.The
mountingsfortheEKKandtheanti-rollbarlinkarealsodeletedintheI12.Theele ctricalmachinein
theI12providesapeakperformanceof96 kW (131 HP)andatorqueof250 Nm(184lbft).Theinner
structure,theoperatingprincipleandthecooling ofthehousingareidentical."

So, the housing and the performance data are different.
The part numbers will be different but it doesn't specify if the performance data is different (i.e. lower) due to software or hardware....
      08-24-2017, 03:17 AM   #42
Rostman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
well if it's so easy as you make it sound, why you haven't come up with the solution....since its as easy as just pushing a couple of bottons. if you do please keep me in mind
Because i'm not the technical guy who can provide that solution, but i have seen here on forum some thread where some company was telling they are adjusting the torgue of the E-motor.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 03:11 PM   #43
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostman View Post
i have seen here on forum some thread where some company was telling they are adjusting the torgue of the E-motor.

I'm pretty sure it was not the e motor, only the ICE.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 02:11 AM   #44
Rostman
Rep

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was not the e motor, only the ICE.
This is what i'm telling of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBosS View Post
I am getting some emails on what we do and if it is legit, so let me show you some screens:

screenshot sw:

screenshot from the ID in the software: i12 is the internal name for the i8 platform)

some of the parameters we changed:
  • ignition
  • lambda
  • speed limit
  • load limit
  • boost pressure limit + compression ratio limit
  • load demand
  • torque limits drivetrain
  • torque demand
  • torque limit E-motor
Appreciate 0