BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
kkhurr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A/W E92 M3 '08

Wiring dashcam. Anyone know what fuse to tap into for constant power

Hard wiring the new dashcam myself. seems straight forward enough. Just was wondering if anyone know what fuse or even fuse number to tap into for constant power so i can always have parking mode working.

Until then i will try one by one and wait 20 minutes to see which one doesnt work lol

appreciate the help!
      07-13-2017, 04:51 AM   #2
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Hi

Take a look at this thread. I recommend using a battery pack such as the Cellink B.

http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...hlight=dashcam
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 07:26 AM   #3
kkhurr
Private First Class
Rep

This helps actually. Thank you. I actually messed up the car i think. I got a warning saying increased power consumption after starting the car. All the electronics came on. and now i have a check engine light on. So I just took everything out and am thinking about just forgetting it all lol.
      07-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #4
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkhurr View Post
This helps actually. Thank you. I actually messed up the car i think. I got a warning saying increased power consumption after starting the car. All the electronics came on. and now i have a check engine light on. So I just took everything out and am thinking about just forgetting it all lol.
If you use a separate battery pack you will be fine. A constant power draw from a camera when the car is switched off will result in warning messages when you go to start it up... hence the need for the battery pack.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #5
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

I'm using the Blackvue dashcam with the Cellink B battery.

If you search for radar detector install, theres a great youtube video showing which fuse to use. I have my RD hardwired with no problems using that video as a guide.

If you don't drive your car that much, keeping the cellink b charged will be another issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #6
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
I used the Blackvue branded battery pack. Works pretty well for me. Plugs into the cigarette lighter under the glove compartment, has a nice holster, lets you plug in two USB devices (great for powering my wifi hotspot). It's a bit bulky, but stores a lot of juice.

I just need to figure out why my wifi seems to power down.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #7
Wonks20
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 Bmw i3 Rex & 2019 750i M

Did you guys figure out which fuse allows constant power?
Installed an blackvue cam in my i3 I also have thr blackvue magic pro that cuts off poser when its @ 12V preventing battery from dying.

Cant seem to figure out which fuse will give me constant power while cameras in parking mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 05:35 AM   #8
kkhurr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonks20 View Post
Did you guys figure out which fuse allows constant power?
Installed an blackvue cam in my i3 I also have thr blackvue magic pro that cuts off poser when its @ 12V preventing battery from dying.

Cant seem to figure out which fuse will give me constant power while cameras in parking mode.
For me I actually gave up. so first I found a place for constant power but the car detected it and threw up warning lights and actually reset the electronics in the car. Then i decided not to do that again lol.

Then i decided to use a 10000 Mah battery in the glove compartment which gave me about 12 hours of run time which is all i needed. since the car is parked at the hospital for 12 hours a day

Finally the darn camera broke and I just gave up. Im considering trying it again but with a better value dash cam

If anyone has any advice on a better experience please let me know.
      02-02-2018, 07:12 AM   #9
vance
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Have had a great experience with my Blackvue dr750s-2ch. I use the main dash cam mounted on the windshield to face outward and the secondary (rear) camera placed above the rear view mirror to show the interior of the cabin and to capture any police encounters. Camera quality is great, front camera records at 1080p60fps, microphones are good, both cameras have Sony STARVIS sensors which have excellent night vision, and it is an easy recording system that also lets you view in real-time for setup/angling, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 05:04 AM   #10
kkhurr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance View Post
Have had a great experience with my Blackvue dr750s-2ch. I use the main dash cam mounted on the windshield to face outward and the secondary (rear) camera placed above the rear view mirror to show the interior of the cabin and to capture any police encounters. Camera quality is great, front camera records at 1080p60fps, microphones are good, both cameras have Sony STARVIS sensors which have excellent night vision, and it is an easy recording system that also lets you view in real-time for setup/angling, etc.
SOunds good to me. I guess the lesson is to just get a proper dash cam instead of try to save some money.
      02-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #11
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AMG GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
If you use a separate battery pack you will be fine. A constant power draw from a camera when the car is switched off will result in warning messages when you go to start it up... hence the need for the battery pack.
How does the external battery work? How come you dont get error messages using that too? Doesnt that draw power the same way the camera would?

I have a valentine v1 and I just ordered a Vantrue N2 pro dash cam, i plan on powering the v1 using a mirror mount direct wire , as far as the dash cam....

I have been reading that I should go with an external battery like celllink, what’s the best way for me to get all this working without wires hanging everywhere? I’m going to pay someone to do this but I don’t know exactly what I should be asking for. I need to ensure the dash cam works in parking mode with the motion detection.
Appreciate 1
Kbull0.00
      02-22-2018, 02:20 PM   #12
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingPlaces View Post
How does the external battery work? How come you dont get error messages using that too? Doesnt that draw power the same way the camera would?
The cellink battery is only charged when the car is on, and the stored energy from the Cellink powers the dash cam when the car is off - which prevents the car battery drain issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #13
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingPlaces View Post
I have been reading that I should go with an external battery like celllink, what’s the best way for me to get all this working without wires hanging everywhere? I’m going to pay someone to do this but I don’t know exactly what I should be asking for. I need to ensure the dash cam works in parking mode with the motion detection.
I installed my Cellink under the passenger seat and hardwired it to the fuse panel. It also powers a mobile hotspot so that I can stream live video from my Blackvue dashcams 24/7.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #14
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AMG GTS

Quote:
The cellink battery is only charged when the car is on, and the stored energy from the Cellink powers the dash cam when the car is off - which prevents the car battery drain issue.
Quote:
I installed my Cellink under the passenger seat and hardwired it to the fuse panel. It also powers a mobile hotspot so that I can stream live video from my Blackvue dashcams 24/7.
ok thanks, im going to order a celllink and power the dash cam using that. Gonna try to run the v1 the same way i had it in my m3 through the mirror mount and hopefully that works.

Last edited by ImGoingPlaces; 02-22-2018 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0