04-26-2024, 09:46 AM   #45
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M60Cruiser View Post
Well I have to charge my BMW every second day vs every 3 days for the Tesla so the Tesla is better in a meaningful comparison.
It's also a lot more fun to drive.
You're probably the only person with both an M60 and S Plaid, so your experiences and use patterns are unique to you. And yeah, if I had a Plaid S, I would probably drive that more. It's a freak of nature.
      04-26-2024, 10:22 AM   #46
M60Cruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxxviii View Post
You're probably the only person with both an M60 and S Plaid, so your experiences and use patterns are unique to you. And yeah, if I had a Plaid S, I would probably drive that more. It's a freak of nature.
It's the most exciting car I have ever owned.
It's 0-60 in 2 seconds and 9.4 seconds @ 151 mph on the 1/4
stretches my face and it feels like someone half your weight sat on you.
My wife almost peed her pants and other people either laugh or say it rolled their eyeballs.
It's addictive and makes the M60 almost boring in comparison.

It's amazing that such an affordable production car exists and is DOT approved and insurable for 1030.00 a year with collision for me.
I paid 65k for it last August with a 2014 Jeep SRT trade in at Carmax.
Now they're even cheaper with Elon's price cuts,
65-75k for a 2 year old Plaid with no trade in.

Last edited by M60Cruiser; 04-26-2024 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 10:51 AM   #47
exxxviii
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually... It should feel like someone 38% heavier than you is sitting on you...

Average acceleration from 0-60 MPH in 2 seconds is 44 feet per second squared. 1 Gravity is 32 f/s^2, so the MSP is pulling 1.4 Gs! It is close to the acceleration of an F1 car.
      04-26-2024, 11:21 AM   #48
M60Cruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Actually... It should feel like someone 38% heavier than you is sitting on you...

Average acceleration from 0-60 MPH in 2 seconds is 44 feet per second squared. 1 Gravity is 32 f/s^2, so the MSP is pulling 1.4 Gs! It is close to the acceleration of an F1 car.

Ok 1.38 vs 1.5gs
Never mind the numbers it is just so totally awesome

You are King of the Road.
Instant face stretching torque.
It's on the next level, here's nothing else like it in an affordable production car
Elon said it was important for an EV to be the world's fastest production car and he delivered.
I added some sharks teeth just for fun and an extra 1000 watts rms of stereo for my tunes.

Last edited by M60Cruiser; 04-26-2024 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004008.50
      04-26-2024, 01:14 PM   #49
buddenfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
Totally agree re: charging speed. I'm seeing more 350kW chargers and we cannot take advantage. 800v architecture would reduce charging times to a bathroom break, maybe a few minutes more. Right now, my family stops for a bathroom break and we're waiting around another 15 or 20 minutes. I'm starting to tire of it and last couple of long drives, we just took our gasser.

On another note, a 3 row EV from BMW cannot come soon enough.
IX is only abke to take 105 of those 350 kw?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 01:47 PM   #50
exxxviii
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
iX is only able to take 105 of those 350 kw?
The iX max charging rate is around 200 kW. Roughly speaking, it is the iX's 400 V battery * 500 A max current. So, all conditions good, the iX should draw its full capacity on a 350 kW charger.
      04-26-2024, 01:59 PM   #51
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [8.83]
2023 BMW iX M60  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [8.75]
Quote:
The iX max charging rate is around 200 kW. Roughly speaking, it is the iX's 400 V battery * 500 A max current. So, all conditions good, the iX should draw its full capacity on a 350 kW charger.
Confirmed! Couple of weeks ago on a 350kw EA charger.
Attached Images

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 1
exxxviii1353.00
      04-26-2024, 05:38 PM   #52
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
It's the most exciting car I have ever owned.
My wife almost peed her pants and other people either laugh or say it rolled their eyeballs.
It's addictive and makes the M60 almost boring in comparison.

It's amazing that such an affordable production car exists and is DOT approved and insurable for 1030.00 a year with collision for me.
I paid 65k for it last August with a 2014 Jeep SRT trade in at Carmax.
Now they're even cheaper with Elon's price cuts,
65-75k for a 2 year old Plaid with no trade in.
No offense but the Plaid is nothing more than a one trick pony, which is it’s 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. It’s brakes are pathetic and would be lethal on any type of road course; it’s suspension is rudimentary for a car that can obtain such speeds, and of course you have to deal with the ‘stellar’ and well known Tesla (lack of) build quality.

I wouldn’t buy one regardless of the price, and the iX as a total vehicle blows the Plaid, or any other Tesla, away in almost every category.
Appreciate 2
LVBMW1460.50
      04-26-2024, 05:45 PM   #53
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
No offense but the Plaid is nothing more than a one trick pony, which is it’s 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. It’s brakes are pathetic and would be lethal on any type of road course; it’s suspension is rudimentary for a car that can obtain such speeds, and of course you have to deal with the ‘stellar’ and well known Tesla (lack of) build quality.

I wouldn’t buy one regardless of the price, and the iX as a total vehicle blows the Plaid, or any other Tesla, away in almost every category.
Totally agree. The iX - especially the M60 - is hardly a slouch. And the iX overall just blows the Model S (indeed any Tesla) away in terms of build quality, comfort, interior materials and features.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2024, 05:49 PM   #54
exxxviii
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No offense but the Plaid is nothing more than a one trick pony, which is it’s 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.
Maybe, but that is one seriously impressive pony. And 7:25 on the Nürburgring is off the rails for a sedan. I wonder if there are any faster 4-door cars? Imagine how lethal the MSP would be to the other super cars if Tesla did just a little suspension tuning???

Last edited by exxxviii; 04-26-2024 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2024, 06:21 PM   #55
whoa_
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G34 / Kalahari Beige

Garage List
Quote:
Saw this for the first time last week at a 350KW charger:
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
LVBMW1460.50
deutsch1004008.50
exxxviii1353.00
      04-26-2024, 06:24 PM   #56
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoa_ View Post
Amazing! Especially if it was EA.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004008.50
      04-26-2024, 06:50 PM   #57
UltimateMoneyShifter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive50

Quote:
Maybe, but that is one seriously impressive pony. And 7:35 on the Nürburgring is off the rails for a sedan. I wonder if there are any faster 4-door cars? Imagine how lethal the MSP would be to the other super cars if Tesla did just a little suspension tuning???
Yes. The G80 M3 CS is faster with a lap time of 7:23.9 vs 7:25.2 for the Plaid in 2023.

Suspension tuning is not trivial and at some point there is very little you can do to handle all that weight (~4,700 lbs) around corners without compromising the livability of the car.

Coming back to the main topic of this thread, I am not sure why we are comparing two different classes of car (BMW iX vs Model S Plaid). If we really wanted to talk about where BMW should improve, shouldn’t we compare it to the Model X Plaid?

At which point, I feel like the range and charging speed on the iX M60 is superior. Edmunds got 325 miles out of the iX M60 for their test vs ~300 miles for 2020 Model X Long Range (I imagine the newer Plaid with better batteries but hungrier motors will fare similarly).
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2024, 08:46 PM   #58
exxxviii
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateMoneyShifter View Post
Yes. The G80 M3 CS is faster with a lap time of 7:23.9 vs 7:25.2 for the Plaid in 2023.
Dang, I wouldn’t have cited that. Kinda embarrassing. A car half-a-ton lighter, tuned to be like a Porsche 911, BMW’s very best effort, barely beats a family sedan. A family sedan with janky suspension and brakes. Ooof.

But yeah, read my post above. The iX has better range than the MSP.
      04-26-2024, 11:05 PM   #59
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYLR, BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
Me as well. I will not consider any sale or trade until we have full L3 autonomy and a minimum 450-500 mile EPA range. That's just what it will take for me to think about it. I don't need either of those things at the moment. My last EV I owned for 9 years. The ICE vehicle before that 7 years. I own my cars for a long time because, well, I work too hard for my money to keep throwing it out the window for useless incremental changes.
Full L3 autonomy where? On limited mapped major highways? I could see that coming from BMW in a couple years.

On all roads? They haven't even started. You'll also own your iX at least 9 years before it becomes a possibility. Unless BMW is the one major OEM talking to Tesla about licensing FSD.

The FSD 12 code is scary good. There are no longer any ADAS situations or scenarios that my 23 iX does better than my 23 MY.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 12:36 AM   #60
Louis_BE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FultonMDUSA View Post
Full L3 autonomy where? On limited mapped major highways? I could see that coming from BMW in a couple years.

On all roads? They haven't even started. You'll also own your iX at least 9 years before it becomes a possibility. Unless BMW is the one major OEM talking to Tesla about licensing FSD.

The FSD 12 code is scary good. There are no longer any ADAS situations or scenarios that my 23 iX does better than my 23 MY.

I admit is scarcely good, but it still makes unpredictable moves way too many times … even is that once every 1000miles …

Without parking sensor you still hit low objects when parking, if the sun is low, it blinds all camera’s and you even don’t have adaptive cruise control 🤷*♂️
They need the parking sensors and radar for when camera’s do not work, not to offer FSD but just the basic stuff I need like adaptive cruise control and cross traffic alert when I back out of the driveway, and that under all weather conditions.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 06:29 AM   #61
M60Cruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Well you're missing out as the Plaid is insane in regular street driving.
I don't think you have any actual experience with a Tesla and are only repeating what you have heard.
Some of their cars are problematic as NomoTesla experienced (to put it mildly ) but most are problem free.
I've put 9k miles on my Plaid which had 16k miles on it when I bought it with no issues whatsoever.
I just extended the warranty with Tesla to October 2027 or 70k miles.
It's at 23k right now.
I bought it as a Specialty Car to go with my BMW as life is short (I'm 65) and I can easily afford to have 2 cars, actually 3 cars as I gave my 2013 Toyota Venza to my wife.
It has a V6 and we use it for road trips.
It's the EV version of the great American Muscle car a big engine in a production car.
The build quality is fine by me and is easier to work on than the BMW.
All the gaps and seams are good inside out and since I bought it used from Carmax I could check it over and test drive it before buying it.
The brakes are fine for a street car as with the regen I hardly use them at all. They have worked fine for 3 or 4 hard stops on my private 1/8 mile dragstrip at my mfg facility.
So perfectly fine for a hard stop on the street.
When I come to a stop the car goes on Hold with no creeping forward.
It would be nice if BMW had this Hold feature.
Tesla sells a Track Package for 15k that can handle any track racing and sets the speed limit to 200 mph.
Now that Tesla has opened a service center 5 minutes from my mfg facility I may consider it as I'm a 1%er and 15k is hardly a drop in the bucket for me.
As a businessman I take chances and so far the Plaid has been a winner for me.
It's addictive and the most fun I've had in a Muscle Car and I've had several ICE versions over the years the latest was a 2018 Jeep Trackhawk with the 707 hp Hellcat engine.
I had it modded and tuned to 805 hp.
It was tons of fun.
Unfortunately it got written off in a not at fault accident.
They only made 10,000 Trackhawks so I would have kept it
The M60 is a quick competent tightly built vehicle.
It's about as fast as the Trackhawk without the drama.
I made a removable grill cover and added skirts and spoilers to the M60 as I used to be a bodyman and painter and it was nothing I couldn't do.
However the Plaid is an incredibly awesome vehicle and you should at least take a used one for a test drive to understand how much fun it is.
Mine puts a smile on my face every day.

Tesla's dash cluster is superior to the dark colored artwork
in the BMW car going down the road.
BMW could have gone with brighter colors on some of their displays.
Also the Tesla gives you a lot more information with stop signs, traffic lights, orange cones, pedestrians and even cats and dogs.
The BMW cluster wastes space for pretty speedometer and power artwork which is pretty useless.

Last edited by M60Cruiser; 04-27-2024 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 06:42 AM   #62
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis_BE View Post
I admit is scarcely good, but it still makes unpredictable moves way too many times … even is that once every 1000miles …

Without parking sensor you still hit low objects when parking, if the sun is low, it blinds all camera’s and you even don’t have adaptive cruise control 🤷*♂️
They need the parking sensors and radar for when camera’s do not work, not to offer FSD but just the basic stuff I need like adaptive cruise control and cross traffic alert when I back out of the driveway, and that under all weather conditions.
These are exactly my thoughts. Have considered a Tesla a few times in the last few years but the ADAS and sensors is a big con for me. I drove one for a few weeks on a trip 2 years ago in California and I found the AutoPilot to be too flakey for me, even on highways (it totally missed a curve and by the time it realized, we were too wide and having to correct to avoid being sent into the divider). Plus even with the newer cameras in HW4, it still doesn’t restore all of the features like Summon and parking assist to their full, previous state. I’m willing to admit that the ADAS could have improved over the last 2 years since I drove with it, but yeah, those sensors not being there are still an important thing IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 06:53 AM   #63
M60Cruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
These are exactly my thoughts. Have considered a Tesla a few times in the last few years but the ADAS and sensors is a big con for me. I drove one for a few weeks on a trip 2 years ago in California and I found the AutoPilot to be too flakey for me, even on highways (it totally missed a curve and by the time it realized, we were too wide and having to correct to avoid being sent into the divider). Plus even with the newer cameras in HW4, it still doesn’t restore all of the features like Summon and parking assist to their full, previous state. I’m willing to admit that the ADAS could have improved over the last 2 years since I drove with it, but yeah, those sensors not being there are still an important thing IMO.
I don't care about FSD and haven't even used cruise control in 20 years.
I typically only drive for 15-20 minutes at a time and even on road trips I don't use cruise control.
I turned all the Nanny features off and set the collision warning to late.
I don't know why Tesla didn't put in a front parking camera which is common on other cars besides the BMW.
So I added a wireless front parking camera

I also added some panoramic blindspot mirrors as I'm old school and want to actually see what's in my blindspot.

BMW

Tesla

Last edited by M60Cruiser; 04-27-2024 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 09:52 AM   #64
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Autopilot, FSD v11, and FSD v12, are completely different software packages. All they have in common is that they take in and process the same images from the 9 cameras in my HW3 MY. You can switch between the AP and FSD software stacks at will.

Autopilot hasn't been significantly modified in a while. It's too twitchy for me most of the time. FSD v11 was better - but I came to the conclusion due to significant latency in responses that HW3 was simply underpowered for that code. With FSD v12, I take that back - it works great! FSD v11 was like my teen on her learners permit. FSD v12 is now worthy of a full non-provisional driver's license.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 10:04 AM   #65
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis_BE View Post
I would love it if BMW's ADAS went 1000 miles between unpredictable moves! In reality, even on mapped highways, my 23 iX will briefly blip and deactivate steering control way too often, catching me off guard, and having to manually lane center before it catches its breath and assumes steering again. On a one hour highway drive, it will typically do this at least 2-3 times. It doesn't appear to be completely random - there's usually some anomaly (merge lanes), but not sometimes not.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 10:20 AM   #66
fooman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoa_ View Post
Idk what these guys are talking about a Plad vs iX for but anyway, wow - where was this?! How long did it stay at this rate for?
Appreciate 0