04-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
markow
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche C4S 09 reg

sitting in the i8...

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
yesterday i could sit in the i8 at BMW vienna. it was very interesting since i drove my F458 italia to the dealership and had a direct comparison of what it feels like to sit in both mid-engined cars. so here is my take:
1)the i8 is 20cm longer than the F458 and feels much much bigger from inside
(also it feels wider but maybe isn't).
2)visibility all around in the i8 is much worse than in the f458. the F458's bonnet is low and short, with the wheel arches always in sight giving you an excellent feeling of the width of the car. nothing like it in the i8. its bonnet is long and high (to accommodate the electric engine).
3)real visibility in particular is very poor, much worse than in F458.
4)cabin quality: it was the standard (non full) leather, typical BMW quality, good but not excellent.
5)i was allowed to start the engine: well, it sounds like a three-cylinder....but maybe i am spoiled. the salesman commented that the car did not have active sound activated. however, the sound was poor also from outside. the salesman commented '...but it is fun to drive in the city in electric mode without sound...'
6)practicality: very small trunk (half of the F458) but there is storage on the (otherwise totally useless) rear seats.
7)i asked to open the front hood to see the electric motor. not possible because of danger of electric shock. makes sense.
all in all, i am not sure.....
peter
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
forrests
Rep
Drives: i8

Thanks for the good report. Did you ask about driver assist options? For example blind spot monitoring seeing that the visibility is so bad?
Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 03:00 AM   #3
markow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrests View Post
Thanks for the good report. Did you ask about driver assist options? For example blind spot monitoring seeing that the visibility is so bad?
Steve
hi steve,
i was told no blind spot detection and no lane change warning. the salesman could be wrong though.
but please don't get me wrong, it is definitely livable as it is, visibility is on lambo huracan level.
peter
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
forrests
Rep

Thanks Peter. I had a feeling that these were not included. It is a shame since it is a very useful thing to have and is now becoming industry standard and found on many lesser cars.

I appreciate your answer.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:09 AM   #5
markow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Peter. I had a feeling that these were not included. It is a shame since it is a very useful thing to have and is now becoming industry standard and found on many lesser cars.

I appreciate your answer.

Steve
i absolutely agree, they should be included. the salesman commented that those systems draw too much current which negatively influences performance.
peter
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
forrests
Rep

Now that is a bull**** answer!
Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #7
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Now that is a bull**** answer!
Steve
Yeah, I was thinking the air conditioning, premium HK stereo, infotainment etc would draw more power than a couple of proximity sensors, but it still has all those things.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
Peggsy
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 & Jag Project 7

Unsure if this can be trusted, but if you look at the first image in the driver assistance section (link below), the third icon in the left hand menu is the one used for blind spot detection on other models.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...om/safety.html
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
valentinbmw
Second Lieutenant
Chile
Rep
Drives: M3, F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by markow
yesterday i could sit in the i8 at BMW vienna. it was very interesting since i drove my F458 italia to the dealership and had a direct comparison of what it feels like to sit in both mid-engined cars. so here is my take:
1)the i8 is 20cm longer than the F458 and feels much much bigger from inside
(also it feels wider but maybe isn't).
2)visibility all around in the i8 is much worse than in the f458. the F458's bonnet is low and short, with the wheel arches always in sight giving you an excellent feeling of the width of the car. nothing like it in the i8. its bonnet is long and high (to accommodate the electric engine).
3)real visibility in particular is very poor, much worse than in F458.
4)cabin quality: it was the standard (non full) leather, typical BMW quality, good but not excellent.
5)i was allowed to start the engine: well, it sounds like a three-cylinder....but maybe i am spoiled. the salesman commented that the car did not have active sound activated. however, the sound was poor also from outside. the salesman commented '...but it is fun to drive in the city in electric mode without sound...'
6)practicality: very small trunk (half of the F458) but there is storage on the (otherwise totally useless) rear seats.
7)i asked to open the front hood to see the electric motor. not possible because of danger of electric shock. makes sense.
all in all, i am not sure.....
peter
Man you got some $$$, the only ferrari thing that i own is an old t-shirt.
2013 BMW E 82 135 i Retired
2012 BMW F 20 116 i Retired
2011 BMW E 81 116 i Retired
2007 BMW E 87 116 i Retired
Appreciate 0