TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhinged View Post
Just can't shake the feeling that this will be a 'sales disappointment' for BMW.
Probably in a sales perspective. I'm sure BMW would want to reach their 10k projection but I think if they even sell half of that but the buzz around it is big it will be a success. I think for a car that is so different then what people have seen, having the awareness out there is more important than actually selling x amount. Sales will come after once the technology has been firmly established.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #46
m3ftmfw
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
are you guys serious? the posts so far are pretty funny.

1) this is not meant to be a super sports car, but rather a car that the upper class can buy and still feel good about the environment, compared to buying their Prius. What do you think Brad Pitt would rather be seen driving?

2) 10,000 does seem like a pretty high number considering something like the M Coupe/Roadster only sold about 2,000 during its entire production!

3) There shouldn't be an M Version of this, as another person said, its called the M6!

4) 0-60 in 4.9 if it is truly using all that max power and AWD while only weighing 3200 lbs, it will be much quicker, like 4.2, but I have a feeling it can't use all that power at once.

The real reason BMW is making this isn't to make money but to get their Fleet MPG up so they can continue making monster M5/M3 products

and NLPAMG, this car was not made for you (and is a totally different customer base than a M6 Gran Coupe)
agreed

Last edited by m3ftmfw; 03-24-2012 at 01:47 AM.. Reason: naked chicks
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 02:46 AM   #47
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

If it did 0-60mph in 3.9 sec then I'd be interested, but for me it is too slow - my ESS tuned Z4 is faster. I'm all about straight-line performance haha!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #48
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
are you guys serious? When you buy a car north of 100K you want something exotic, something different, something never been done before - this car gives you that - supercar speed and top hybrid technology, MPG to brag about to your neighbor who can't achieve 14 MPG in his Ferrari. This is a car for the super rich. It is not anyones only 100K car, it goes in a collection of cars, maybe to be driven every 15th weekend in the rotation. That is why they project 10K sales, very few can truly afford it.
now that is funny.. bragging to a ferrari owner about your MPG!!! who cares?? how many cars have you seen in this forum modded in a way to achieve better MPG..
      03-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #49
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

If this thing weights 200kg less than the M3 but has similar power and much more torque it will be much faster in straight line. I think 4.9secs is very underrated.
      03-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #50
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

The 104 mpg is BS. It is based on CO2 output with the assumption none or very little of the electricity is generated from burning coal. It's just a government trick to push electric cars.
      03-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #51
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I think this is a stepping stone for what BMW technology will bring in the future. CAFE standards want all automobile makers to hit 54.5 mpg by 2025. This helps BMW up their fleet numbers. I'm pretty sure in time costs will come down, while increasing performance.

Now, lets see who buys one and sticks a V10 in there!

Eibach frontsway,BMS JB4,AFE Drop InBerk Street Axleback, H&R SPORT SPRINGS,Active Autowerke DP's ,Active Autowerke BOV,Active Autowerke FMIC , BMWPEDALS.COM, JB SPEED Black Grills,Alpina B3 TCU Flash
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #52
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

When I mean 15 minutes - Sports cars are a trend, if they are not a Porsche or Ferrari then they get very little time in the spotlight , Warhol said everybody gets fifteen minutes of fame and so do sports cars.
The R8 and SLS AMG are in this sense yesterday's cars, now the main talking point of high end sports cars is the intensively beautiful Ferrari F12 Berlinetta.

The BMWi8 is the alternative to alternative. It is described as a sports car in progression. It looks different , performs different but is not a classic interpretation of a sports car.
BMW i8 is seen as a new icon for a new age. We very much live under threat that further laws and regulations can pull the Sports car market from under our feet and the i8 is developed with that kind of mindset - What if?
i8 is all about a progression of alternate drive , for the car to stand out and sell then it has to look like nothing else which it does ,and has to perform like nothing else , which again, it does.

The i8 is not a BMW in the definition as we know a BMW. It is revolution and rebirth, it is all about creating the symbols that define a BMW but with alterntive Drive. That is why the i8 will be nothing like any other BMW you have driven before, and that is where the anticipation begins.
And that is how success is generated , creativity from the ground up, something BMWi will be showcasing within every model.
      03-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #53
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The BMWi8 will not be converted to an M. The genetics of BMWi will filter through to M. But BMWi remains a sub-brand.
However early tests have shown the i8 can handle more power and soon you will see using this power at the ring.

BMWi is to symbolise alternative drive in an alternative way.
Having discussed this previously I will keep it short and concise.

BMWi is not an existing BMW electrified, it is all new from the ground up. Our Competition apart from Porsche have fitted electric drivetrains to existing sports cars where the options are more expansive.

BMWi is about sustainability but in a totally different direction , BMWi goes well beyond the actual cars too. It is all about the future of mobility and how we use the car in general. The most exciting thing about BMWi is that it will not ultra exclusive. Rental networks across the globe are in the process of being set up so that anyone will be able to rent and drive an i3 or i8. They will not just be mutually exclusive like our competitors.

Think of BMWi as a new revolution in alternative mobility.

Actually they don't. Look at the R8 and SLS AMG today , they are yesterdays cars. There 15 minutes are up, Even the Bugatti douchebag has become almost a characterture with its endless "fools are parted easily with their money 2 Million euro +, ltd editions"

The hot sports car of the moment is the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta and rightly so because in the flesh it is beautiful it is everything a Ferrari should be.
At Geneva I mentioned to a fellow counterpart at Ferrari about the Lambo SUV and whether Ferrari would follow? I was told in this very cutting answer no because "We are Italian!, Lamborghini is German".
Well said!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #54
theArgiope
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Some people with deep pockets do care about fuel emissions.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #55
theArgiope
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

BMW is a mass producer of cars to millions of drivers around the world. Some race, some commute, some tour and some cart the kids to school. They're in business to make money, like any other, and they undoubtedly conducted a load of market research to determine feasibility of the i line.

All manufacturers are dabbling with electric potential. At least BMW is doing so with intent to be desired.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #56
imposss
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 Comprtetion

Looks like civic si coupe to me
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #57
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny Blanco View Post
Wow, This Sounds Better Than The 458 Italia!!!))
Well... let's not get crazy here.
      03-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #58
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

This car sounds amazing. The more I hear about it, the more excited I get.

I'm anxious for the Germans to show the world how to make a proper hybrid electric vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #59
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

amazing, it proof how BMW is ahead of any others car builders. power+mpg: smiles.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #60
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
Probably in a sales perspective. I'm sure BMW would want to reach their 10k projection but I think if they even sell half of that but the buzz around it is big it will be a success. I think for a car that is so different then what people have seen, having the awareness out there is more important than actually selling x amount. Sales will come after once the technology has been firmly established.
Sales of the lay-person's car will come when the tech has been firmly established, (i3 and i5 sales will be in larger numbers)

The purpose of the i8 is not to lower BMW's score in CAFE requirements - the score is prorated by sales volume. i.e. low volume 760i sales dont hurt BMW that much.

The purpose of the i8 is to build excitement for the i3, i5 and other cars that will lower the CAFE score significantly. The technology from the i8 (regenerative brakes etc) will trickle downward in their i line, m line, and regular line
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #61
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
The 104 mpg is BS. It is based on CO2 output with the assumption none or very little of the electricity is generated from burning coal. It's just a government trick to push electric cars.
Its not a trick if the electric is not from goal or natural gas... Germany is basically off that stuff for the grid and with the renewable push off Nuclear they will be sooner than 2020.

Locally we have a power plant the runs off compost.... sick tech.
      03-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #62
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
When I mean 15 minutes - Sports cars are a trend, if they are not a Porsche or Ferrari then they get very little time in the spotlight , Warhol said everybody gets fifteen minutes of fame and so do sports cars.
The R8 and SLS AMG are in this sense yesterday's cars, now the main talking point of high end sports cars is the intensively beautiful Ferrari F12 Berlinetta.

The BMWi8 is the alternative to alternative. It is described as a sports car in progression. It looks different , performs different but is not a classic interpretation of a sports car.
BMW i8 is seen as a new icon for a new age. We very much live under threat that further laws and regulations can pull the Sports car market from under our feet and the i8 is developed with that kind of mindset - What if?
i8 is all about a progression of alternate drive , for the car to stand out and sell then it has to look like nothing else which it does ,and has to perform like nothing else , which again, it does.

The i8 is not a BMW in the definition as we know a BMW. It is revolution and rebirth, it is all about creating the symbols that define a BMW but with alterntive Drive. That is why the i8 will be nothing like any other BMW you have driven before, and that is where the anticipation begins.
And that is how success is generated , creativity from the ground up, something BMWi will be showcasing within every model.
I don't always agree with your view but I am in full agreement with this i8- it is an entirely different animal and should not be judged by the past "super cars". I say "super cars" in quotes bc if the R8 is one, then so is the M3.

This is a new product establishing a new market- Porsche quickly followed and will have on hell of a alternative super car of their own. BMW best do a little more R&D to give this thing a little more umph or it may be a two year wonder and then fall on its face- I say that as a fan. The problem is- to quote Ricky Bobby "I f you ain't first you're last" that goes for being first to market and first for performance; the first to market is always surpassed by the fastest unless it is close and the Porsche is going to be a beast although a little less "green".

/M
      03-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #63
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
That's what the fake sound through the radio is for.
There's no fake sound in that video.
      03-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #64
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Yeah, I know but at least a 6 speed. Hell even a 5 speed would be better.
Why?

Quote:
Pretty sure it isn't diesel though.
You would be sure if you had read the opening post or any of the replies that discussed the engine.
      03-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #65
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto View Post
104.2mpg, yes sure, maby if you drop it from a airplane.
Oy. Does *anybody* read the technical details in articles anymore? (sigh)
      03-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #66
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhinged View Post
Just can't shake the feeling that this will be a 'sales disappointment' for BMW.
Also from the article: Sales restricted to 10,000 units per year. So, not intended as a profit center.

Oy oy oy.