BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

I have not driven the i8 for weeks and today I took it out. I am still struggling to find a good seating position that is comfortable. The one I have set gives me very good visibility but seems to be bothering my back over time. I do have other BMWs M and I don't have the issue there. Therefore, is this an issue with me not finding the right setting or are the seats more uncomfortable. :
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #2
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
I'm kinda tall so I had to recline the seat more than I normally would to have decent headroom. Always would have to duck under the frame of the door getting in or out. It very much felt like driving in a lounge chair for me. I have overdeveloped neck muscles due to my line of work so the having to bend my head forward more than usual was alright we me. I could seating being an issue for some variation of bodies.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
I have not driven the i8 for weeks and today I took it out. I am still struggling to find a good seating position that is comfortable. The one I have set gives me very good visibility but seems to be bothering my back over time. I do have other BMWs M and I don't have the issue there. Therefore, is this an issue with me not finding the right setting or are the seats more uncomfortable. :
One thing I have noticed compared to other cars (BMW M, Audi) is that the seat is shorter than I am used to, not providing as much support to legs. Otherwise the seating position is not bad, cushioning is on the light side.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #4
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

It doesn't seem to have as much lumbar support compared to the M:6 & 3 that I previously owned. The design of the i8 seats may have given way to the dimension of its low slung passenger cell, thereby offering only adequate padding and support. Now that I recall, my wife had an issue with the seats on the Porsche due to its low and stiff ride. Problem was addressed by custom making a 11" wide x 3" thick and 6" high memory foam pillow with leather matching the seats for lumbar support. Actually, problem was permanently solved when I traded in the Porsche.

Last edited by YWGT3; 04-14-2015 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 11:56 PM   #5
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I hope that I can find a good seating position by continuing to experiment. Plan B may be a cushion, which I'd like to avoid.....as well as trading it in
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 08:08 AM   #6
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

don't trade it!

Quote:
Thanks. I hope that I can find a good seating position by continuing to experiment. Plan B may be a cushion, which I'd like to avoid.....as well as trading it in
      04-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #7
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpca356
don't trade it!

Quote:
Wouldn't know what to trade it for anyways....I have driven so many cars and this is different and fun .....
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wouldn't know what to trade it for anyways....I have driven so many cars and this is different and fun .....
Solution is easy: if you already don't have one get a Lotus Exige or Tesla Roadster, sit in it for about 10 minutes BEFORE you get into the i8, then all of a sudden your seat will seem like a cushion on a cloud floating on pool....

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #9
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post
Solution is easy: if you already don't have one get a Lotus Exige or Tesla Roadster, sit in it for about 10 minutes BEFORE you get into the i8, then all of a sudden your seat will seem like a cushion on a cloud floating on pool....

Works for me

My Lotus Exige has carbon fibre seats with about 1cm of padding!

Probably why I find the i8 so easy to hop in & out of, and also very comfortable
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 09:33 PM   #10
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Now that was funny. Maybe I just got the winter blues and need to drive the car more.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #11
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

I did notice that the i8's seats do not have as much support as the M's and they need larger side bolsters.

I was lucky enough to just sit in a spanking bran new i8 which was wicked, it was like if Apple made a sports car. The only real interior design flaw was that their were no proper well designed Grab Handles to help you get out of the car, they need to add them, otherwise it was all good.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #12
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Now that was funny. Maybe I just got the winter blues and need to drive the car more.
Well being a dumb a** it took me four weeks to figure out you CAN tilt the entire seat which makes it much more comfortable, at least for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 09:22 PM   #13
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think I am getting the hang of it now! Seems I found a better position but now I get lots of glare on the drive if the sun is setting behind the car while I am driving. Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 08:36 PM   #14
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post
One thing I have noticed compared to other cars (BMW M, Audi) is that the seat is shorter than I am used to, not providing as much support to legs. Otherwise the seating position is not bad, cushioning is on the light side.
I second the thigh support being too short. It helps to tilt the seat back a bit to shift your weight more towards your butt away from your thighs.

Otherwise I think the seats are quite comfortable considering there isn't any lumbar adjustment.

I also wish there was more lateral support for when those times you drive your i8 hard
Appreciate 0